Other Games

AneMae

Oh, how nice. You found a Game piece from another game and took it upon yourself to remove it. Very thoughtful, as clearly your hide takes precedence over anything else. <_<

From the logs:

" has anyone heard about letter boxing ? Well apparently this group is similar to geocachers whom also hide items to be found. The organization is a smaller group I believe, but the game if not similar is the same. On May 2010 a container was hidden in the area of ____________ within the 163 Meter boundary of ours, hence the original and the replacement . However luck would find it, we managed to contact the CO of their cache type container, and have removed it in consideration for other Geocachers finding it instead of the Geocaching member style cache. In conclusion the false container that was hidden, its details can be found at (visit link) the container or letter box name is called __________________. The photos attached here are not the cache you are looking for.

Oh, how nice. You found a Game piece from another game and took it upon yourself to remove it. Very thoughtful, as clearly your hide takes precedence over anything else. <_<

From the logs:

" has anyone heard about letter boxing ? Well apparently this group is similar to geocachers whom also hide items to be found. The organization is a smaller group I believe, but the game if not similar is the same. On May 2010 a container was hidden in the area of ____________ within the 163 Meter boundary of ours, hence the original and the replacement . However luck would find it, we managed to contact the CO of their cache type container, and have removed it in consideration for other Geocachers finding it instead of the Geocaching member style cache. In conclusion the false container that was hidden, its details can be found at (visit link) the container or letter box name is called __________________. The photos attached here are not the cache you are looking for.

Looks like they didn't take it upon themselves. Maybe you ought read the quotes you're quoting.

That being said, I think it's on poor taste to request that someone playing another game remove their piece for your own benefit.

From the logs:

Looks like they didn't take it upon themselves. Maybe you ought read the quotes you're quoting.

That being said, I think it's on poor taste to request that someone playing another game remove their piece for your own benefit.

Either way, yes poor taste indeed.

I thought letter boxing had been around longer than geocaching? We have found letterboxes in close proximity to caches and all have been clear that they are letterboxes not geocaches. Therefore, I don't think the proximity rule applies. Live and let live, play and let play....

Just checked - the game of letterboxing has been around since about 1854...longer than I thought!

I don't understand why the letterbox had to be removed? I don't see it as inconveniencing geocachers, if anything it adds extra amusement to the game.

I've found letterboxes before and as long as they're clearly labelled, there's no problem.

I found one that was very near a geocache. Inside it said something like "This is a letterbox. This is NOT the geocache. Keep looking" :laughing:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I'm not sure I understand. Did you plant a geocache and then find out you placed it close to a letterbox? Or did you plant a geocache and later someone planted a letterbox too close to your cache? I've been letterboxing since 2002 and know most of the letterboxers in your area. If you need to know more about letterboxing go to atlasquest.com. In our area (southwestern Ontario) letterboxing has been going on since 2002. But it's no where near as popular as geocaching but can and has co-existed.

I don't understand why the letterbox had to be removed? I don't see it as inconveniencing geocachers, if anything it adds extra amusement to the game.

I've found letterboxes before and as long as they're clearly labelled, there's no problem.

I found one that was very near a geocache. Inside it said something like "This is a letterbox. This is NOT the geocache. Keep looking" :laughing:

Sounds like the letterbox we found! Then the cache, close by... :laughing:

I'm not sure I understand. Did you plant a geocache and then find out you placed it close to a letterbox? Or did you plant a geocache and later someone planted a letterbox too close to your cache? I've been letterboxing since 2002 and know most of the letterboxers in your area. If you need to know more about letterboxing go to atlasquest.com. In our area (southwestern Ontario) letterboxing has been going on since 2002. But it's no where near as popular as geocaching but can and has co-existed.

Not my Letterbox or Geocache-

I gotcha. Someone posted that rant on their Geocache page, and somehow thinks if there is a letterbox within 528 feet of their geocache, they can remove it. Brutal man, totally brutal. As if a sizeable percentage of letterboxers don't despise us as it is. Not Lone R, of course. :lol:

I gotcha. Someone posted that rant on their Geocache page, and somehow thinks if there is a letterbox within 528 feet of their geocache, they can remove it. Brutal man, totally brutal. As if a sizeable percentage of letterboxers don't despise us as it is. Not Lone R, of course. :lol:

Wow! I found the cache listing in question. The nerve of that guy. I personally know the Big Blue Team.In the forums, I'm always saying how letterboxers and geocachers can work together, but along comes someone like this guy and ruins a good thing. Wow! Unbelievable. Both boxes had co-existed for 2 years until he found it. He even had the nerve to post photos of the stolen logbook. :mad: Geez, I hope he doesn't go into vigilante mode and start taking letterboxes anytime he stumbles upon one.

Edited by L0ne R

To me, that sounds like the right approach. Let people find both. It's only a slight inconvenience and by leaving both in place everyone can enjoy the game they like.

Wow! I found the cache listing in question. The nerve of that guy. I personally know the Big Blue Team. I'm always saying how letterboxers and geocachers can work together in the letterboxing forums, but along comes someone like this guy and ruins a good thing. Wow! Unbelievable. Both boxes had co-existed for 2 years until he found it. He even had the nerve to post photos of the stolen logbook. :mad: Geez, I hope he doesn't go into vigilante mode and start taking letterboxes anytime he stumbles upon one.

This thread isn't getting much attention, but this is just beyond belief that a Geocacher could be so arrogant. A Geocaching.com member, I mean. Could you imagine if that was a Terracaching.com cache he was removing? I think you'd have one crazed Terracaching member on your hands. And probably a cache muggling contest. :o

I know of letterboxes and geocaches hidden within a few feet of each other. It is usually the LBers who get the short end when some clueless geocacher trades out the stamp thinking it is swag. I think if anybody had more right to object to another game in the vicinity it would be LBers, as their game doesn't really affect ours but ours does affect theirs fairly regularly.

That said, its unacceptable for either a geocacher or LBer to remove the other's pieces just because of proximity.

I know of letterboxes and geocaches hidden within a few feet of each other. It is usually the LBers who get the short end when some clueless geocacher trades out the stamp thinking it is swag. I think if anybody had more right to object to another game in the vicinity it would be LBers, as their game doesn't really affect ours but ours does affect theirs fairly regularly.

That said, its unacceptable for either a geocacher or LBer to remove the other's pieces just because of proximity.

Let's not forget that letterboxing is quite a bit older than geocaching. Folks, they were playing hide and seek wayyy before us. If I had known about it, I would have been a LBer as a kid.

From the logs:

Agreed it is poor taste, but it was probably in the best interest of the letterbox. By removing it and placing it elsewhere, it will be less likely to be muggled by unknowing geocachers.

It looks like the letterbox owner agreed to remove it, the cacher did not just remove it on their own.

Edited by HarlansHollowFarms

I got more of this story from the BBTeam who's letterbox was taken. Turns out that all is well and there is no animosity. Here's the message I got back from a member of BBT family:

"Not to worry. The geocacher and I are in contact. My box was damaged and left out in the open. He rescued it for me but I've had a heck of a time getting over to his place to pick it up. We actually have another location where we both have boxes . . . LOL . . . in ____ ______. "

Too bad the CO put what appears to be a rant on his cache page. It comes across as aggressive but maybe it's a language issue.

Odd though. The photos that he posted (the hiding spot with the box, the box, the opened box, scans of the logbook) didn't show a damaged box or a box left out in the open.

Edited by L0ne R

I've twice hidden caches so close to letterboxes (unbeknownst to me at the time I hid the caches) that cachers were finding the letterboxes and logging them as finds on the geocaches. Both my cache hides were small, and of course the letterbox is a letterbox, so apparently none of the finding cachers put 2 + 2 together.

On one hand, it does add to the fun of the game (if cachers are aware enough to know what they are looking for). On the other hand, I actually had a reviewer disable my cache because people finding the old, wormy letterbox kept listing the cache as needing maintenance.

In the end, I archived one of the caches because some one tossed it aside and lost it while they were digging out the (old, wormy) letterbox; the other cache I am in the processing of re-hiding a little further away.