Trackables discovered rather not be rewarded

irisisleuk

One of my trackables ended up at a mega event and now I receive many many many (times 50 and still not stopping ;)) discover logs.

These logs are not interesting, have standard sentences like "saw you at mega event..", do not contribute to the TB's goal and fill up most of the pages.

I do not mind a discover log every now and then so I'll know my trackable is still out there, but this amount of discover logs on one location is ridiculous.

Now I would like to remove these discover logs, but I don't dare...

Because I saw someone else doing this in the past and he got a lot of negative responses that he wasn't allowed to, he should respect how others play the game etc. etc.

I wondered why these negative reactions, what do others care about a trackable page that isn't their own. The answer I got was: because these discover logs count towards my number of logged trackables and also adds an icon to my profile.

We seldom discover trackables, only those that don't travel and we think are special and in the hands of the owner. And maybe once every 2 months discover one in a cache just to let the owner know it's still there. But we love moving them from one cache to another, so we do not get what's so interesting in discovering trackables that you've seen for just a second (sometimes even just a number on a list).

But getting already "the points" and the icons for discovering doesn't stimulate moving trackables, so could this be changed?

So requested feature: Let discover logs on trackables do not count on the statistics, so they will only be informative to a trackable owner.

Change in request because of input by others in this topic:

=================================================

So adjusted request to keep both discovering cachers and coin owners happy:

Please give trackable owners the possibility to archive logs (set on non visible) on their own trackables.

==================================================

Edited by irisisleuk

So requested feature: Let discover logs on trackables do not count on the statistics, so they will only be informative to a trackable owner.

I agree that the discovered logs can get out of hand. Unfortunately, changing it so discovered logs don't count toward the numbers/icons won't change much. Before discovered logs people just "picked up" the bugs from each other. It generates the same number of logs, they just say "picked up" or "grabbed from" or whatever it says instead of "discovered"

The benifit of a discover log (or even retrieve and drop) is that it lets the TB owner know the TB is there.

eg. I find a cache. It has a TB, but I can't help with it's mission, so leave it in the cache. I will log a Discover for it.

The TB owner gets a message to say the TB's 'still in play' and not missing.

As Mr. 0 pointed out, before discovered logs existed, people would just retrieve and drop trackables. Would you rather have two logs per person (retrieved and dropped) rather than just one (discovered)? If people really are logging trackables for the statistics, and discovered logs no longer count towards their statistics, then they'll just go back to using retrieved and dropped logs if that's what counts towards their statistics.

I think you're better off asking for a way to filter discovered logs on your trackables, so you don't have to see them. Then everyone can be happy. The people who enjoy discovering your trackables can discover them, but you don't have to look at dozens of logs that you don't find interesting.

See also:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287480

The benifit of a discover log (or even retrieve and drop) is that it lets the TB owner know the TB is there.

eg. I find a cache. It has a TB, but I can't help with it's mission, so leave it in the cache. I will log a Discover for it.

The TB owner gets a message to say the TB's 'still in play' and not missing.

I totally agree, I don't have any problems with that as I already said in my post. So to be clear: I don't want the discover logs to go away, just that they don't count towards "points", so if someone really wants to say the TB is still in play and not missing, they still can but it won't count as a "point", but this shouldn't matter since these cachers won't care about points they would just write the logs to inform the owners, which is always very nice.

... If people really are logging trackables for the statistics, and discovered logs no longer count towards their statistics, then they'll just go back to using retrieved and dropped logs if that's what counts towards their statistics.

I think you're better off asking for a way to filter discovered logs on your trackables, so you don't have to see them. Then everyone can be happy. The people who enjoy discovering your trackables can discover them, but you don't have to look at dozens of logs that you don't find interesting.

Excellent idea! It would be great if I could somehow "archive" uninteresting discover en took it to logs (they can be interesting by the way if someone places photos with it to show where it was in case there wasn't a suitable cache), so they would still get their points, but the trackable page would stay interesting to read as well.

And it is not just because I dislike all those useless logs, but it also doesn't stimulate others to move the trackable and place photos. If the last couple of movers put down a nice story and/or photo, the next cacher can also get inspired to do so, but he won't get inspired if he just sees a lot of discover logs....

=================================================

So adjusted request to keep both discovering cachers and coin owners happy:

Please give trackable owners the possibility to archive logs (set on non visible) on their own trackables.

==================================================

"What's in it for me?"

That seems to be the attitude that rules so many's lives. If they don't get their icon, why go through the trouble of posting a discover log. Most don't consider, or even care that they are also reporting the status to the owner. I know it's a cynical attitude, but I find that most people are like this.

Besides, as has been mentioned. Take away their icon and they will get it anyway by retrieving and replacing it in the same cache. You then have twice as many useless logs to deal with.

What about giving the trackable webpage a link like a discovered stats page that way we get a page with the interesting facts on.

example could be:

your trackable was picked up in number one (will drop off asap)

your trackable was dropped off in number 65 (good luck little TB good times)1000 miles

your trackable was discovered by ___________ in number 65

your trackable was picked up in number 65 (why hello there little TB)

your trackable was discovered in the hands off ______________ at mega event ____________ 46 miles. 56 times (see stats page for member logs)

your trackable was dropped of in number 10 (thanks for the party TB). 6578.7 miles

the reason i say this is because people turn cars, t-shirts, dog labels(tags)etc into trackables.

the reason i say this is because people turn cars, t-shirts, dog labels(tags)etc into trackables.

I understand, but if people take their own trackable to a (mega event) they choose to get discover logs, if they move it along caches they choose themselves to get a took-it-to log with every cache they visit. Same case with people who have a coin collection and bring it to an event, they want/expect people to discover it, there is nothing else to do with those trackables. The goal of those trackables is not to travel but to get discovered, or to track the owners route between caches.

So these owners want those logs, otherwise they wouldn't take the trackables to events etc.

My suggestion to make logs invisible is meant for logs of trackables that travel from cache to cache, where discover and took it to logs might be interesting to the person who moved the coin (for points, icons or whatever), but not to the coin owner or the next cacher who finds it.

Better yet, give every viewer of trackable pages the option to view or hide various types of logs (discovered, visited, etc.).

I may want to see a friend's "visited" logs or "discovered" logs. It would be annoying if someone else could hide those logs from me. Even if that "someone else" is the trackable owner.

There are just too may possible attitudes about TBs, and really the option to filter the logs is about the only viable way to solve the OP's 'problem'.

I know cachers who wouldn't touch a TB if their lives depended on it.

I know others who will pick-up and move any and all TB's they see (clearing out 20-30 at a time from a hotel) and move them without regard to the TB's goal.

I have seen some folks hunched over the trackables table at events, scribbling down tracking numbers as fast as they can...and that is all they do at the event.

Now that I think about it, the OP really has the wrong attitude about releasing TBs, and that is causing the 'problem'. Instead of putting them out for your OWN enjoyment, think of the enjoyment they will provide for others.

Why are you trying to force your beliefs on others?

Your life would be much more stress free if you would just let everyone play the game the way he or she wants.

Ditto

You don't want so many people discovering your TBs? Solution.....don't release them.

The influx of emails will stop in a week or so.

I have over 350 trackables underway and love all the emails I get to see where they go.

I recently attended a couple of geo events in Zurich and have cached in Europe a few other times and have come away with the impression that Trackable item discovery (as well as moving trackables) seems to be a bit more common than in the U.S. I also saw a couple of really nice trackable objects at one of they events that were not intended to ever go in a cache. Both items were constructed by the owners, had a trackable code engraved on them, and appeared to only brought to events so that others could discover them. What that said to me what that how people play the Trackables sub-game might different significantly around the world so a global solution for "hiding" discovery logs might not work very well in some places.