Mapping software

Anyone know some good (preferably free) mapping software that will help figure out the radius from a certain geocache or GPS point. For example: to make sure I'm far enough away from existing caches to place a new one? or for those caches that make you think more than your GPSr can and requires you to find a point some many feet from pt A and some many feet from point B?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

GibGirl

The free OSM maps from HERE will work in Garmins BaseCamp or MapSource. I don't think either of them will generate circles round way-points though.

I think to "generate circles" you need software that will generate a "range ring". Global Mapper will do that, but I'm not aware of any freeware that will do it.

You can use either Basecamp or Mapsource (both are free) together with the free maps mentioned in other threads above.

You can then import your pocket queries into the same software, so you will then have both maps and geocaches on your screen.

Now all you need to do is place a waypoint with a 0,1 mile proximity around it on the map to see if you are in the clear - when you save the waypoint there will be a red circle drawn around it at the radius that you set.

Edited by AndyT1
to make sure I'm far enough away from existing caches to place a new one?

No software needed. Start with a pocket query of all the caches near your target. Go to the area you want to put yours. Set your GPS to list nearest caches in distance order -- if the closest is less than .1 miles of 528 feet, you MIGHT be good to go. But this WON'T tell you if the final stage of a multi or solution to a puzzle is within range, as those won't show up in your pocket queries.

...for those caches that ... requires you find a point some many feet from pt A and some many feet from point B?

I hadn't thought of this one, but there should be a way to do it in the field rather than sitting in at home? I think a GPS that can do waypoint projection and maybe a pocket calculator would let you do it.

Are there really puzzle caches like that? A pair of overlapping circles will have two intersections -- so two possible solutions You'd have to use some additional logic to eliminate one of the possibilities.