Let's say you put someone else's geocoin in your own cache and it disappears?

Nick - Cacher

Here's a question I'm trying to figure the answer to: What would you do/think if you retrieved a geocoin from a cache 80 miles away. Then to help it move along, when you got back home you placed it in your own geocache. Then as cache maintenance, a few days later you visited your cache again and the coin was missing! Only "one" person has signed your cache log book and online since your last visit. However, on your cache page it still says this geocoin is in your cache. You've sent a message to that one and only person, who signed your cache log book between the time you dropped off that geocoin in your cache to the time you came back and found it's missing, asking them if they saw it there because you'd feel awkward marking it as missing. They haven't responded yet and it's been weeks.

Wouldn't it then be awkward to mark the geocoin as missing from your own cache, especially when you're the one who placed it there? What will the geocoin owner think if someone had placed the geocoin in their cache and then "marked it as missing"?

This happened to me, and I feel awkward marking it as missing. Should I send a message to the geocoin owner explaining what happened, and then give them the username of that one cacher who visited the cache between the time I placed it there to when it went missing? What would you do if you were in my situation? It feels awkward marking it as missing, after I placed it in my very own geocache!

I had someone recently grab a TB from my cache. They wrote in the cache log that they took it. They never logged the cache online and never logged that they took the TB. I marked it as missing and emailed the owner with the info I had. I even asked on our local geocaching group page if anybody knew the cacher but no one did.

First, I would simply put a Note log on the geocoin explaining that you've just returned to your cache and the geocoin is no longer there. Date the log for when you actually visited the cache so that they can see that there was only one other cacher who visited before you.

Then I would mark it missing.

Then I would email the geocoin owner with the extra details including the fact that you've tried to contact the other person but have had no response.

That's it. You can't do any more.

Except maybe put the coin on your Watchlist - it might re-appear in a few weeks hundreds of miles away...

MrsB :)

First, I would simply put a Note log on the geocoin explaining that you've just returned to your cache and the geocoin is no longer there. Date the log for when you actually visited the cache so that they can see that there was only one other cacher who visited before you.

Then I would mark it missing.

Then I would email the geocoin owner with the extra details including the fact that you've tried to contact the other person but have had no response.

That's it. You can't do any more.

Except maybe put the coin on your Watchlist - it might re-appear in a few weeks hundreds of miles away...

MrsB :)

+1

When you visit a cache and discover that a Trackable isn't there, it's essential to make a log note on the cache page and on the Trackable's page. There seems to be plenty of non-logging to go around. :rolleyes:

I feel awkward marking it as missing.
The very first TB I ever found, I placed into a Geocache, and logged it. The TB immediately vanished and has never been seen again. Could it be possible that people who don't log TBs properly are the problem? I wonder. :anicute: Edited by kunarion