Ugh.....Geocaching mishap in my city......

Geocaching is a "real-world outdoor treasure hunting game based on GPS-enabled devices," according to geocaching.com. Participants register online then follow a specific set of coordinates to locate the geocache container.

One of the most responsible descriptions of geocaching I've ever read from the media. I'm impressed (even with half of it being a direct quote from GS).

Yet to see any comments on the article, though I'm sure the inevitable opinions linking it to Al Qaeda will follow soon enough... :blink:

I expect the string may have been from a yoyo, or something similar?

oh no not again,

so now Manchester police will ban all geocaches located in the city ?

or what kind of aftermatch do you excpect ?

It's a good possibility that this won't result in a tempest in a teapot. Maybe a fine to the cache owner.

We had a film can geocache detonated in front of the Kurhaus when I was living in Wiesbaden, Germany. That was several years ago. Geocaching still abides -- nay, thrives -- in Wiesbaden.

Geocaching is a "real-world outdoor treasure hunting game based on GPS-enabled devices," according to geocaching.com. Participants register online then follow a specific set of coordinates to locate the geocache container.

One of the most responsible descriptions of geocaching I've ever read from the media. I'm impressed (even with half of it being a direct quote from GS).

Yet to see any comments on the article, though I'm sure the inevitable opinions linking it to Al Qaeda will follow soon enough... :blink:

This is standard operating procedure, and what will happen:

-The cache page will turn into a forum, with about half the local note posters making "kaboom" jokes, and the other half making borderline disrespectful to law enforcement "over reaction" comments.

-Most of the comments to the newspaper article will be local Geocachers makeing borderline disrespectful to law enforcement "over reaction" comments, along with a small amount of local muggles making "Geocaching sounds stupid" comments.

-Most people here in the Groundpeak forums will say it was a stupid location for a cache, and deserved to be blown up.

Trust me, that's how it goes every time. :lol:

-

Manchester police arrived and, using a robot, detected what appeared to be a detonation cord or fuse hanging from the object, Patti said.

I wonder what that really was.

Not sure what the cord was, but I would suspect it may have been a way to hang the cache. Because the cache was sitting in plain site it sounds like maybe the attaching system failed. Someone just set it down, and didn't know where it went???? (A muggle who found it on the ground maybe?)

Looks like it was actually this cache.

Yep. Already a forum on the cache page, along with a "Keystone Cops" reference. Now who here in the forums wants to say it was a stupid location for a cache, and deserved to be blown up? :laughing:

Dumb area, went b00m. saylavee......

ph34r.gif

Thanks. But we'd better find out what cache is was first. Usually, it's not this difficult to figure out. :lol:

This is standard operating procedure, and what will happen:

-The cache page will turn into a forum, with about half the local note posters making "kaboom" jokes, and the other half making borderline disrespectful to law enforcement "over reaction" comments.

-Most of the comments to the newspaper article will be local Geocachers makeing borderline disrespectful to law enforcement "over reaction" comments, along with a small amount of local muggles making "Geocaching sounds stupid" comments.

-Most people here in the Groundpeak forums will say it was a stupid location for a cache, and deserved to be blown up.

Trust me, that's how it goes every time. :lol:

-

And sometimes, it really is a bomb. Bomb Squad Removes Package From Woods in Sellersville. I bet the neighbors are happy they local LEO "over reacted".

It was a stupid location for a cache too! <_<

You'll get a kick out of the nearest cache

So was it a different cache or something totally different?

In this case, I don't believe the local community ever figured out what cache it was, and it sounds like it could have been a misplaced cache. You know, like it was muggled, and left out in the open? But my "standard operating procedures" post still stands. I think I might bring that one out the next time a cache gets blown up, and people can figure out which one it is. :)

It could have been a cache listed on another site,

Possibly.

or something the good ole bomb squad threw together for practice.

:rolleyes:

There was a previous incident where the reported "geocache" could not be identified, and I wouldn't doubt that they would do something like that. It also could have been unpublished.

dog-bomb-squad-fnord-humor_560x1733.jpg

Bomb_squad.jpg

So was it a different cache or something totally different?

In this case, I don't believe the local community ever figured out what cache it was, and it sounds like it could have been a misplaced cache. You know, like it was muggled, and left out in the open? But my "standard operating procedures" post still stands. I think I might bring that one out the next time a cache gets blown up, and people can figure out which one it is. :)

The police were foolish in my opinion. Seriously, how many terrorists are hiding bombs in a desolated guardrail in effort to kill one or two people? Instead, they get everyone's dander up, call out the overpriced bomb-sniffing R2-D2 (it looks more like WALL•E, truth be told) and put a high-caliber round through it with a sharpshooter (being paid gravy train overtime like you read about, I'm sure). Taxpayer-funded playtime for Starsky & Hutch. Most of the replies in this thread aren't even from local cachers which makes the "lousy cache placement" posts quite amusing. Long-distance experts have failed to notice the area's fairly remote.

If you're OK with living in fear and submitting to a martial state then bully for you. I'm entitled to my own beliefs. These are more often than not the same people that think the TSA doing a cavity search on Granny Edith is in everyone's best interest for safety; or the illusion thereof. Sheep.

Does anyone besides this half-wit know which cache this actually was? As far as I know all the GCs in the area of the DHC complex are still there. I have doubts that it was even a cache at all. Or it's quite probable it's GC2E9KX which migrated less than a mile. Not impossible. Kids have bikes. Sure it was disabled in April, but the days are much longer, the weather is milder and the kids are out of school.

Interesting, protypical, standard operating procedures local "keystone cops" note posting guy coming here and calling me a "half wit". That's a violation of forum guidelines. And that's the 2nd day in a row I had to say that. :o

What, you don't know which cache it is? You're the guy posting notes to multiple local cache pages about it.

Edited by Mr.Yuck