Must do

CX3ED6 Lighthouse Challenge: Buffalo Main Lighthouse

By guinea gal

This walk takes you out to the lighthouse located on the US Coastguard base in Buffalo. Along the way there are many plaques detailing some of the history of the Buffalo waterfront and how it shaped the city we know today. Even if you aren't into lighthouses and waterfront views the history alone is worth the walk.

Nothing local really comes to mind, but I hardly ever cache when I'm not on a trip.

The closest MUST DO caches in my mind (at roughly 3 hours drive each but only an hour apart from each other) are:

Without a shred of a doubt this is my favorite physical cache...

Necropolis of Britannia Manor III

Hidden by the really cool gazillionaire game developer and casual aquanaut/abyssal-cacher/astronaut/astro-cacher extraordinaire and personal friend to the gc.com founders....and from what I hear just a regular guy in person, Richard Garriott aka Lord British.

If you consider the resources it took and what his free time must be worth in dollars, Necropolis is easily worth 50k to 100k and that is all things considered. Sure he had help, but what a result! 232 Favorites so far! Just awesome!

Take a gander at the gallery...

0255fd7f-6ca8-4f1e-a4ec-3cb1e539359d.jpg

AND

Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum

Barney should be listed as a National Treasure. It is quite an experience to meet him.

ftf-cacher.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Darn it Snoogans post something like that everything else will seem lame. But I would say in my area http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3040446c-feeb-49fe-9573-6ecc8ad4d6fd# is probably the coolest the Cumberland falls earth cache. It's one of the biggest waterfalls in the U.S. and one or the only in the world that produces a Moonbow.

Or GC1VX4G The HIGH Colonel....it's a simple cache but takes you to the first KFC

Edited by Dan2099

I've only scratched the surface when it comes to caches in my area but without a doubt my "must see" recommendation goes to Very Sketchy(GC1TT4Z).

Near the top of High Peak (Tobacco Row Mountain), there's an incredible view. The area is accessible by road, which is a big plus to people passing through the area. The road is quite rugged in spots and the belly of my car suffered a bit but if my '94 Saturn can make it any car can ;)

The search is rather treacherous because one false move and you're in a world of hurt. This was the first time I felt a real sense of danger while seeking a cache, but with careful steps and taking it slow you'll be okay. It was worth it for the view alone, and once I found the cache I enjoyed dropping a sketch and recording my experience.

It was humorous as well because as I'm looking through the log book there's a signature from "Tony the Phone Guy", who happened to be laying cable in the area and found the cache. I can only imagine his expression when he found it! :)

Must do caches, Manunka Chunk and Edison's Dark Rock. The former requires waking about a 1/4 mile through an abandoned RR tunnel. It is pitch dark, water filled and the roof has collapsed in many places making it quite the adventure. You come out into a scenic RR cut that created moss covered rock walls dripping with water. A very picturesque spot.

The latter is at the location of Thomas Edison's iron mining operaton which was shut down in the 1890's. Plenty of historic remains, foundations, abandoned equipment all reclaimed by the forest. Cache itself is in narrow mine shaft cut about 150 feet into the side of a rock wall.

Must do waymarks, The Great Falls and Tripod Rock. The falls are the 2nd largest volume wise east of Mississippi (Niagra is first) and Tripod Rock is a cool erratic, that was left behind by the last glacier.

I haven't completed any challenges yet, but I created one that I think is pretty good and would recommend. The Last Days of Major Major Andre. For those who love history this is perfect.

Edited by briansnat

In my area it would be "Among Crystals" GCEAD0. 1st it's an ammo box! 2nd it takes a bit of back country driving. 3rd it's in a cool place, off by itself, quiet, and beautiful. 4th you can find Newberry Geods. :D

Not close by but still special is the "Original Stash Tribute Plaque", GCGV0P. It was cool to find where it all started and interesting as we had car problems and had to use our Motor Home to get there. :o

Bovine Hill is not only the closest Y2K cache around, but it's in an absolutely gorgeous location. U are Here... has arguably the best views in the area and the hike to get there will getcha sweating in the winter time. Coyote Rock isn't really in anybody's caching area, but it's one of my all time favorites. From the top of the rock we saw a massive herd of Elk just 'a grazin' away. The Lake Pillsbury basin is one of the most scenic, quiet places around here, and this one lets you see a large part of it from the top.

If someone was going to visit your area what cache, challenge, waymark, or Wherigo would you tell them was the must do to visit? Give us the ID# name and tell us why you think it is a must do.

All of mine.

And they are "must do's" 'cause they're mine. :lol: