Geocaching maps

pemirami

@Moun10Bike

I often see requests by moderators to "clear cookies". While some users would know how to selectively remove cookies for just one web site, many do not, and are surprised when (depending upon the browser), password, login, account and location information for other sites suddenly disappear and that have been long forgotten by the user who uses the 'autofill' option for these things. So for many users, accidentally deleting content from other sites is a real pain.

Today I was running into this problem twice.

The cache icons on the map are not displayed.

When I hover the mouse cursor over the map windows with cache names occurs, but no icons are seen.

In the lower-left corner of my browser there are messages like: loading ..., waiting ..., loading, ... waiting ...

It seems that the problem is triggered by load or network issues.

Restarting the browser, clearing the cache, and resetting the network interface does not help.

But rebooting my computer helps; but this is workaround I don't want to do very often.

It's been working perfectly for me, except once earlier this morning, when waiting/scrolling/panning/reloading wouldn't make it cough up the cache icons. Now it works fine again. All the while, I haven't changed anything on my system.

This tells me it's probably a sporadic problem at the Groundspeak end - the server not responding when the JavaScript asks for the cache info.

Is there any error handling in that JavaScript?

This is NOT a "cookies" issue. I have no mapping on any of Firefox, IE or Chrome, across multiple systems, starting this morning. This is a "Geocaching.com is broken right now" issue, not a "clear your cookies" issue.

Edit: meant to say, I have no caches displayed on any of the maps. The maps and all other functionality appear as they normally do, just no caches displayed.

Edited by dneuwir

I'trying to pull up caches for tomorrow and read them but can't. My mouse hand will work for zoom but for some reason the hand doesn't not point and give me information so I can click name of the cache and read about it. Thought it was something in the computer so brought up the note pad and still no pointer finger to get the caches :-(((( Boy is this making a mess of a Holiday weekend. Help please.

I have a slightly different problem:

Using the Leaflet default, my pointer turns into a "hand" and I get a pop-up of the cache name when I hover over a cache and a pop-up when I click on it, when using the default Mapquest maps. When, however I switch to any other of the map options (Cloudmade, Mapquest Aerial, OSM, OCM), my pointer no longer changes to a hand, there is no name pop-up, and nothing happens when I click.

If I switch to Google maps default, then all is OK. (with pop-ups and click on cache)

This behavior only occurs with Google Chrome, things work OK with IE 8.

We are having issues with this as well. Just over the past week or so, we get the "hand" cursor only. Hovering will call up details on some caches, but it is not possible to view some caches from the map. Sometimes repeated clicking with bring them up - or zoom you in.....

This needs to be fixed, and I find the constant suggestion that we clear our cookies somewhat insulting. My other recent gripe is that we have to log in every single time now - the fix suggestion is to be sure cookies are enabled?? Clear cookies, enable cookies, clear cookies...come on guys....stop messing with things that worked fine before, and we won't have to constantly tend to our cookies!

Different question, I did look to see if it was answered elsewhere. I saw hints, making be think it has been answered, but I couldnt see it.

I can see caches on maps, but sometimes I dont even have maps, and I no longer have satellite view. Has satelitte view been moved to premium service? I saw mention of google charging for maps, so I think this might be the reason, can someone confirm?

Thanks

David

Not only can I not see the maps, but most of the small icons are gone as well. Everything has been replaced with empty boxes with a small red x in the corner. Clearing browser caches and cookies does not resolve the problem.

Edited by shorbird

I closed browers, and deleted cookies/everything, and it started working again

I tried the same... still no caches showing up on the maps. The maps come up quickly and the satellite image is there and responsive. No caches. Mac OSX 10.6.8 & newest version of Safari. Was going to plan a caching trip for tomorrow... but I guess not. Not complaining though... don't want any more nasty emails.

I closed browers, and deleted cookies/everything, and it started working again

I tried the same... still no caches showing up on the maps. The maps come up quickly and the satellite image is there and responsive. No caches. Mac OSX 10.6.8 & newest version of Safari. Was going to plan a caching trip for tomorrow... but I guess not. Not complaining though... don't want any more nasty emails.

Ditto here. No caches at all on maps. Windows XP, Mac Powerbook and Ipad2. All the same.

EDIT: Hmmm, all is ok again now across all platforms I use. Seems to be fixed :)

Edited by SplattyNZ

When I try to search for caches using MapQuest, I can't scroll the map around. There are no scroll bars nor can I move it by click and drag with the mouse. This is very frustrating as the map cache search has been the most efficient way to locate caches, at least for me.

Edited by RV-6