Ape Caches

With new Planet of the Apes movies coming out (3rd is in production right now), how come there are not new Ape caches released. The one here in the US has been archived, before I even knew about it.

Or couldn't the reviewers unarchive it. The local cachers keep maintaining it, and the current "replacement" still counts towards the triad challenge.

With new Planet of the Apes movies coming out (3rd is in production right now), how come there are not new Ape caches released. The one here in the US has been archived, before I even knew about it.

Or couldn't the reviewers unarchive it. The local cachers keep maintaining it, and the current "replacement" still counts towards the triad challenge.

Effectively it requires some overture from the studio - if the studio marketing people want to contact Groundspeak and do a new series to promote their film, they'd possibly be met with equal interest. It's not (thankfully) Groundspeak's position to go out soliciting this sort of thing - which, if you thought about what commercializing of the game could mean, it's not a pleasant thought.

Secondly, Groundspeak was rather unapologetic about archiving Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, after some scumbag took the container. Most other classic caches would carry on through volunteer effort, but Groundspeak decided it was time to call it a day and it was gone - leaving Southern Bowl as the last A.P.E. cache in the world. Fortunately the park the last A.P.E. cache is in is very happy to look after it, as it brings visitors. A cache thief going there might find they've bitten of more than they can chew, so it's probably quite safe with the park and volunteers looking after it.

Others have posted partial answers for you, but here's my summary, as I'm currently getting similar inquiries ahead of this summer's Going Ape mega event:

• The original Ape caches were a promotional ploy by the movie studio producing that film. A new series would require a similar collaboration. Per Jeremy, Groundspeak was in contact with the studio and they were not interested. Thus, no new Ape caches.
  • Groundspeak's policy is to archive Ape caches and retire the icon once the original themed container goes missing. It's not up to the reviewers, cache owner, or other cachers. Groundspeak decided not to make an exception for Mission 9, even though it's in their backyard and part of the Northwest Triad. As host of the annual Going Ape event, believe me, I would have liked to see the original cache live on. (Note: Jeremy and Moun10Bike placed the Mission 9 Ape cache, so in effect, Groundspeak decided to archive its own cache.)
  • The tribute cache is not the Ape cache. It's a traditional cache that gives you a feel for the original; finding it doesn't get you the icon.

Hope that helps!

Edited by hydnsek

Does anyone have any pictures of the original caches and their "swag"

The best thing to do is to go to the photo galleries for the ape caches and look through them. :)

I took this on my visit to Mission 9: Tunnel of Light in 2007:

17437350-d3f6-42ef-a485-c7f5ba7baff4.jpg

Thanks for the pic, kinda disappointed I thought they would have had a more interesting container then that, like a giant egg that all ape's are hatched from.

Thanks for the pic, kinda disappointed I thought they would have had a more interesting container then that, like a giant egg that all ape's are hatched from.

Well, they needed to be waterproof, durable, and the right size to hold the movie props that were the FTF prize. The one in Ambrosia's picture held a tiki torch from the movie - kinda needed that long ammo can. Most people thought it was a pretty amazing container, being so large and having the Project APE logo stenciled on it, plus all the special movie goodies inside to gawk at.

Edited by hydnsek

Others have posted partial answers for you, but here's my summary, as I'm currently getting similar inquiries ahead of this summer's Going Ape mega event:

• The original Ape caches were a promotional ploy by the movie studio producing that film. A new series would require a similar collaboration. Per Jeremy, Groundspeak was in contact with the studio and they were not interested. Thus, no new Ape caches.
  • Groundspeak's policy is to archive Ape caches and retire the icon once the original themed container goes missing. It's not up to the reviewers, cache owner, or other cachers. Groundspeak decided not to make an exception for Mission 9, even though it's in their backyard and part of the Northwest Triad. As host of the annual Going Ape event, believe me, I would have liked to see the original cache live on. (Note: Jeremy and Moun10Bike placed the Mission 9 Ape cache, so in effect, Groundspeak decided to archive its own cache.)
  • The tribute cache is not the Ape cache. It's a traditional cache that gives you a feel for the original; finding it doesn't get you the icon.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, I want to try and make it to the event. It's just sad that the icon is gone...

Hope that helps!

Yeah, I want to try and make it to the event. It's just sad that the icon is gone...

The icon isn't "gone"...you just have to travel to Brazil to get it :P