Cache outside the USA? Please read.

When logging a cache on a smartphone in a different time /day zone, it logs at the US time/ day. I posted here a few days ago hoping to find a solution ( very annoying to have to go online later and adjust them all)

Apparently Groundspeak have been aware of the issue for several years, but it is not a priority. I would like to see how many replies I can get here, from those who this effects and see if we can get Groundspeak to fix this.

Please pass this on in your country geocaching groups and lets see how many cachers we can get to reply to this.

My apologies if it is possible, please let me know how. ( I have adjusted my time zone in my account profile, but it made no difference when I logged a cache on the 15th, it still showed up as on the 14th.

I would imagine that this isn't very high on Groundspeak's priority list, if nothing else because it's very easy to change your found date after you log it. You may also request this topic be moved to the Features section.

Yes it is easy to change, but imagine if it was you who had to do it each time.( the other day I found my record, 35 in a day, and it took me over an hour to go through and change them all...) There are 1,000's of cachers who this effects, many premium members who pay annual fees. I don't think it can be that difficult to GS to fix this.

The scariest thing about the first post is that people have been logging caches on smartphones for several years. :laughing:

This does sound like a pain, and I see you're in Japan. Does it log them Seattle Time? I also agree with The Goat that the "features" section would be the best place to post this. You will probably get more responses from like-minded individuals, and probably even Groundspeak.

I don't think it is a big deal. The caches are logged on servers, and those servers are in a time zone so they use that time zone. There are many people who log after they find the cache, be it an hour or day or maybe more. It doesn't matter how you log it, because sometime somewhere the timezone will always be wrong. If you are that concerned use a notebook or something. It's not about the numbers.

I can't believe that Groundspeak hasn't figured this out yet.

First we had people in Australia who had trouble scheduling when to run PQs because there ran on Seattle time. Then we had trouble with field notes getting messed up because the devices were storing the time in GMT and when the field notes were uploaded Groundspeak treated this as Seattle time. Now we hear that the Geocaching Live API can't handle logs from Japan.

If you really want to be a global website for geocaching get your act together already and learn how to deal with users in different timezones.

I will admit that the nature of the online log has made this complicated. Most people what this to be the local time where they found the caches. So if I find a cache early on 5/28 in Tokyo and then fly to Seattle, crossing the International Dateline and find a a cache on 5/27 I want the cache in Tokyo to say 5/28 and the cache in Seattle to say 5/27 and yet see the find in Japan occurred before the find in Seattle. And if the did make it work this way, someone will no doubt want to see the dates shown differently.

This is why I never (intentionally) log a find using the Geocaching app, but always post a 'Field Note' with the correct time as the first element. When I go to do the actual log, I can make the corrections as needed.

Geocaching.com = workaround central

You just need to know the ropes and how to work around the plethora of issues that can stand in the way of what you really want to do in here.

Remember when there were no smartphone apps and you actually had to go somewhere and log into the site using a full-fledged computer before logging your finds? :o

If the date and time of your find are important to you, take the time to do whatever is needed to make them correct.

I do.

Otherwise, NO SNIVELING!