Is it really not possible to delete Geocahes from the eTrex 10 from the device?

Why do you feel the need to delete geocaches from the GPS by the device? The newer Garmin GPS’s are designed around using PQ’s (Pocket Queries) and the need to have up to date data on your GPS. You filter out your “Found Geocaches” in your PQ’s. You copy PQ’s to your GPS and go. You come back and upload your Field Notes to log your finds. You delete the old PQ and load a newer, up to date PQ and all your “Found Caches” are gone.

that's crazy

My guess is Garmin thought it easiest to load all user-provided GPX files at power-up time. It would have been harder to also include a file & database manager that would let the machine select, load, and unload those while the GPS in on, along with all the complexity of resolving differences betwene what's in active memory and what might be on files you loaded.

Why do you feel the need to delete geocaches from the GPS by the device? The newer Garmin GPS’s are designed around using PQ’s (Pocket Queries) and the need to have up to date data on your GPS. You filter out your “Found Geocaches” in your PQ’s. You copy PQ’s to your GPS and go. You come back and upload your Field Notes to log your finds. You delete the old PQ and load a newer, up to date PQ and all your “Found Caches” are gone.

Is that functionality something that's only available to premium members?

I've only had it a week and how I currently use it is I just use the "send to my gps" button when viewing a cache on this site, then I go find it - then once found I'd like to delete it.

Today I tried logging it as found on the device itself. Sure enough they disappeared from the list, though when I connected it to my pc, nothing happened, they didn't show as logged on the site, so maybe I'm not understanding that.

When I log them as found on the gps, and they disappear, do they actually disappear so the space can be reused?

Well, having had a 60CSx for years (and still do), from time to time, you have to delete the "found" caches from the unit. When you mark them as found them with the unit, it only changes the icon, but the waypoints are still there. So you don't have to do that with the newer units? How do you handle that situation then?

Thanks for all thr replies guys!!

So I can only delete them via the computer, fair enough.

When I go into the relevant folder in windows explorer, you can only see the caches by their GC code. So you have to look them up to know what you're deleting.

I don't suppose that can be changed..? :)

Tara, you could rename the files with something more obvious than their GC codes before putting them on your GPSr, but that would be tedious.

Easier would be for you to become a Premium member of Groundspeak. Then you can create Pocket Queries, which will give you multiple geocaches in one file, thus reducing the number of files you have to delete later. You can simply rename the file to find it easily on the GPSr for deletion.

For example, if I'm going to Pretty Park for the day, I'll run a PQ of caches in that area and call it PrettyPark.gpx. Then after I've gotten home, uploaded my Field Notes, and logged my finds, I can easily clean up my eTrex simply by deleting the PrettyPark.gpx file.

I have one file called BasicWaypoints.gpx that I never remove; it has my house and a few other locations that I want to keep available. And I have a few GPX files that have been lingering on my eTrex for some months because I haven't gotten back to finish those cache clusters. But for the most part, I keep it quite clean with just the files I need for the immediate future. (I also have GPX files for all of the benchmarks in 12 California counties, but they're on the SD card along with my auxiliary maps.)

Patty

I recently purchased an eTrex 20 and, though glad I was able to now go paperless, I was irritated to find that once I uploaded a cache onto the GPS I couldn't delete it using the GPS. I did figure out that if I hooked up the USB cable to the computer I can go to "computer", then "Garmin eTrex 20" (the K drive on my computer) then "Garmin" and "GPX". There is the list of caches that I had uploaded. They are listed by their GC number so if you want to delete only some of them you have to know which GC numbers you want to save or delete. For me, since I only upload the caches I'm going to attempt on a particular day, at the end of the day I just select all and delete all the files.