Making my own trackables..?

Mushroom420

Hi, I was curious if itd be possible in any way to purchase a code or codes from GS and use them engraved on certain items.

I work in a woodshop that can laser engrave just about anything. I had some cool ideas of things to engrave them on.

So, is it possible to do this? Or no?

Theyd be small(er) items...probably slightly bigger than 50 cent pieces or so

You can use a (regular) Tracking Bug # for just about anything that you want.

Otherwise, you may purchase a block of 50 from Groundspeak -- I believe such was addressed in the newsletter last week.

One small tidbit -- most generally, people look for the TB tag. If they do not see a TB tag they may not realize that an item is truly a TB.

Good luck with your endeavor. May each one live long and travel far.

thank you...I wouldnt have a need for 50 codes.

I just had the idea to laser stuff on to shelf mushrooms as my TB

such as this (this is soon to be a FTF (yeah I know I goofed, lol) prize for my 1st cache......(I took it back in a lasered the cache name on it too)

IMAG0237.jpg

For the sake of Knowledge :

For the most part (Other than Shape / Composition) are TB Numbers and Geocoin Numbers for the most part the same?

Yes, they both have "Tracking Numbers".

Some Travel Bugs' numbers start with "TB". Each kind of Geocoin has a special icon. You could attach either a coin or TB to an object for travel (after drilling a hole in the coin for attachment), or make your own trackable using your Tracking Number, one trackable per number. There's a tradition or taboo among many Geocachers that a Geocoin Tracking Number must be only on the original coin (not on a copy "proxy" when the original is lost) -- this taboo doesn't seem to apply to replacement Travel Bugs.

If you buy a bunch of Tracking Numbers from Groundspeak, they'll have a default icon (maybe the "gold coin icon"?). Travel bugs have the "barcode bug" icon that looks like the TB dogtag.

Other than the above, they're the same. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

For the sake of Knowledge :

For the most part (Other than Shape / Composition) are TB Numbers and Geocoin Numbers for the most part the same?

Yes, they both have "Tracking Numbers".

Some Travel Bugs' numbers start with "TB". Each kind of Geocoin has a special icon. You could attach either a coin or TB to an object for travel (after drilling a hole in the coin for attachment), or make your own trackable using your Tracking Number, one trackable per number. There's a tradition or taboo among many Geocachers that a Geocoin Tracking Number must be only on the original coin (not on a copy "proxy" when the original is lost) -- this taboo doesn't seem to apply to replacement Travel Bugs.

If you buy a bunch of Tracking Numbers from Groundspeak, they'll have a default icon (maybe the "gold coin icon"?). Travel bugs have the "barcode bug" icon that looks like the TB dogtag.

Other than the above, they're the same. :anicute:

RE:

There's a tradition or taboo among many Geocachers that a Geocoin Tracking Number must be only on the original coin (not on a copy "proxy" when the original is lost) -- this taboo doesn't seem to apply to replacement Travel Bugs.

I'd like to hear more about this "tradition or taboo"

And i hope some of the ANTI PROXY people come to chat.

Here's some good reading:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=226563

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=226763

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=261196

There are people who at the very least insist they refuse to log a "proxy". I'm not naming names :ph34r:, but maybe they'll drop in for a chat anyway. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, and I don't care to talk them out of Proxy hate.

My ONLY motive for pointing out the weird taboos, is to help people make a Trackable that stays in the game. If your choice is between TB or Geocoin Tracking Numbers, use the TB Tracking number. The fact remains that Geocoin Proxies aren't as suitable, regardless of how many people do log/move them.

Here's some good reading:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=226563

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=226763

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=261196

There are people who at the very least insist they refuse to log a "proxy". I'm not naming names :ph34r:, but maybe they'll drop in for a chat anyway. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, and I don't care to talk them out of Proxy hate.

My ONLY motive for pointing out the weird taboos, is to help people make a Trackable that stays in the game. If your choice is between TB or Geocoin Tracking Numbers, use the TB Tracking number. The fact remains that Geocoin Proxies aren't as suitable, regardless of how many people do log/move them.

We recently collected what we thought was a 'home-made' travel bug - a Hazelnut with a code engraved on the back - but the code is not recognised. The Name of the nut is 'The GeoNuts' so guess this is like their calling card? Tried searching for this member but not allowed to search for members for some reason. Any help would be appreciated

Tar - newbie-ish cachers

We recently collected what we thought was a 'home-made' travel bug - a Hazelnut with a code engraved on the back - but the code is not recognised. The Name of the nut is 'The GeoNuts' so guess this is like their calling card? Tried searching for this member but not allowed to search for members for some reason. Any help would be appreciated

Tar - newbie-ish cachers

Probably a 'signature item' (sig item), like a calling card.

Placing a real "food" item into a cache is not a good idea. Animals have a far greater sense of smell that do humans and will oftentimes destroy a cache to get to it, or carry it away if they can.

Edit to add: "The Geonuts" last find was 5-12-2011; "Geonuts" last find was 8-11-2006.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee