Is there REALLY a gps device better than the iPhone?

Sinver

For typical use, a big win for the size, I very much like something that fits comfortable in my pocket and doesn't make me look like I'm packing (and not in a good way), if you know what I mean hehe. Though for hiking, the size and shape of the GPSr is actually a positive, it's very easy to handle and use, much more ergonomic especially for use while moving

What's the typical cost of the pack?

I don't find my garmin to be ergonmic in the least. Every time I bend over it beeps from here to high heaven (its in my front pocket) and it's always flopping around. It's too heavy to wear around my neck, so I attach it to a lanyard and slip in into my pant pocket or hoodie/jacket pocket.

the mophie pack is $120. Some other external batt packs are around $35.

Look for another on the Rattlesnake Ridge Trail very soon...

Won't matter. I have to wait 3 months to get it in order for it to qualify. TBH I'm not wasting my elevation. It's hard earned.

When I say wpts, I mean the wpts that *I* add, like parking, TH, final coords or multi wpts. The caches are already there!So, say I'm hiking along TMT and somebody goes ahead and puts a multi just after I've already hiked that area (snark). I would like to see the caches on on my screen AND the wpts associated with the multi all on one screen.Or say I'm searching two puzzles in the same area. Once I've chosen which cache I'd like to search, I can't see the other caches. I keep the live search tab on the area, showing me all the caches that I'd like to see, but I run my saved tab with the cache I'm actively seeking because it give me the rundown on distance, etc.If I'm looking for 2 puzzles in the area, then it's a PIA to not be able to see the final wpt coord on the same screen.
Have you checked out geosphere? It does exactly that and it's great. You have the option to show found caches and non-cache waypoints, highlighting the waypoint you have set as your target, and still showing other waypoints flagged as found in another colour. It really is great. Once I got used to Geosphere I never turned back to the official app. If/when the dev adds the Live API for immediate lookups, the official will be obsolete, IMO.

haha Do you track your hiking routes occasionally too? I need to get in the habit of doing that more often to help with getting the many local trails around here on openmaps.
I do, but only rarely and only if they provide me with elevation. I don't do it with my iphone. Can it be done with the iphone off? Does it increase the batt drain significantly?
Well if your GPS is already on and active, then it may be a bit more as the phone is now actively reading and storing track points in the background, but that's about it. I use Everytrail, though there are a few other apps that do tracking. With Everytrail you can upload the completed trip to the website and it does all the analysis; elevation, speed, etc, and it's great for sharing. Then you can export it in various formats for use elsewhere like Google Earth.I haven't played around with other apps like MotionX GPS and such enough to provide worthwhile insight into their features... but I like Everytrail :) (it also includes a good selection of map sets, including openmaps, though I haven't figured out if it's possible to create independent waypoints in the app, which is annoying; I just leave it running in the background while I cache with geosphere)

Now don't jump me for my opinions but I think this is an area where there is a divergence and dedicated units win big time. There are many very good mapping programs that work well with GPSrs but not so much for phones. Some include Garmin's MapSource and Basecamp and many other non-proprietary ones.

I've not used the official app but from everything I've heard and read, it's not the best and many of the phone apps are better, if not a lot better. I use c:geo which is pretty powerful.

I've tried EveryTrail and didn't care for it. I might be spoiled by NW Trails

I have geosphere. I...don't...like..it..

I haven't used it much. It seems like it's just safari?

Not sure what you mean. That's how it interacts with gc.com, yeah - allowing you to download GPX files and PQs right into its database, but everything else is pure app :)

I've seen a lot of comments that geosphere wasn't really all that friendly... *shrug* maybe it's not for everyone. But I tell ye, once used to it, it's so much better than the official app. A couple tips: bookmark your PQ download links, create a group for each PQ, and a group for found caches (to store notes and custom waypoints and such). Have a group for your close to home PQ/caches, and a group to move archived caches into (again for historicity).

I have groupings for a number of local regions, many overlapping. If I head to Toronto, I run my Toronto PQ and download into that group, then everything's up to date. If it's been a few months, I'll merge the group with the archive one, then recreate it and download the latest PQ -- since PQs don't include archived caches, old caches don't get updated so you have to either manually download their GPXs, delete them, or pack them away somewhere (same problem with using other offline cache databases; I really wish GS would provide an archived cache PQ that allows you to grab all the archive logs between specific dates to update a cache database).

Anyway, yeah, it took a bit of getting used to, but it was a welcome switch (and I believe it's less of a battery hog than the official app as well).

I actually enrolled in another challange that was to hike 100 miles. but i had such a difficult time just figuring out the elevation stuff that i don't bother with the disantce anymore. I'd love to know how far I've hiked!

100 miles? Nice (not in one go presumably ;) )

Edited by thebruce0

For typical use, a big win for the size, I very much like something that fits comfortable in my pocket and doesn't make me look like I'm packing (and not in a good way), if you know what I mean hehe. Though for hiking, the size and shape of the GPSr is actually a positive, it's very easy to handle and use, much more ergonomic especially for use while moving

What's the typical cost of the pack?

I don't find my garmin to be ergonmic in the least. Every time I bend over it beeps from here to high heaven (its in my front pocket) and it's always flopping around. It's too heavy to wear around my neck, so I attach it to a lanyard and slip in into my pant pocket or hoodie/jacket pocket.

the mophie pack is $120. Some other external batt packs are around $35.

There is no way it would fit in my front pocket. If I'm wearing my pack it's on the strap and clips into and out of it's holder by feel using only one hand. Very fast and easy. If a park-n-go, I just carry it. If in a city park, I am often wearing my hiking pants an put it into my leg pocket.

Ouch

The newer Garmin GPSMAP 62s GPS is $390 with free shipping from REI, with the 10% dividend it's then $350. The battery pack is only 1/3 of that but it's enough to consider a dedicated unit. Unless you already have the pack for other reasons. And of course, there are much cheaper units including a decent unit for $115 before dividend.

Ouch

The newer Garmin GPSMAP 62s GPS is $390 with free shipping from REI, with the 10% dividend it's then $350. The battery pack is only 1/3 of that but it's enough to consider a dedicated unit. Unless you already have the pack for other reasons. And of course, there are much cheaper units including a decent unit for $115 before dividend.

I used my dividends on expensive, name brand pants. (hehe)

I got the juice pack at the REI garage sale for $39...(!!!)

I'm not upgrading my GPS anytime soon. I just got this garmin and it's doing its job. Like I said before, I only use it for the NWTrails.

I actually enrolled in another challange that was to hike 100 miles. but i had such a difficult time just figuring out the elevation stuff that i don't bother with the disantce anymore. I'd love to know how far I've hiked!

Part of the reason for the elevation logging requirements on my cache is to promote mapping skills that are valuable for hiking. I'm sorry that you're having difficulties with that, let me know if there is something I can do to help.

I FTF'd that 100 miler with a 24.3 mile hike after a 26.2 mile hike 8 days earlier with a 13.8er in between and with a total of 10,800 of elevation for all three. Bragging, yes some :ph34r: but also earned it, boy was my old body unhappy at me. Earned me a Mount10Bike coin though so worth it!

Edited by _Shaddow_

I'm not upgrading my GPS anytime soon. I just got this garmin and it's doing its job. Like I said before, I only use it for the NWTrails.

Me either, I need none of the so called upgrades, my 60CSx is all that I need or will need. Maybe a faster redraw for highly detailed topo maps or a bigger screen, but those are minor.

Oh no, you don't require distance. I can look at the map and guesstimate elevations. Plus, you always come in and correct them anyway when you update your page (nudge, nudge)

Yes, I'm learning a lot, which is why I do the challenge. I can see it's more than just hiking...

Oh no, you don't require distance. I can look at the map and guesstimate elevations. Plus, you always come in and correct them anyway when you update your page (nudge, nudge)

Yes, I'm learning a lot, which is why I do the challenge. I can see it's more than just hiking...

I -used to- now just let minor differences slide, especially if under rather than over. It's a lot easier and less time consuming for me and I don't think it was coming across as I wanted; my intent was to provide feedback and encourage attention to detail but it also kind of gave the impression of suggesting that loggers were not doing a good enough job. I want to keep it positive and fun.

Feel free to email me your logs before you post them if you want.

Good to hear :)

I'm sorry that you're having difficulties with that, let me know if there is something I can do to help.

I just reread my response and it could be taking as sounding kind of snarky, didn't mean it that way at all, it was heart felt. I guess I'm not as diplomatic as you too!

I absolutely appreciate it. No worries. I'd rather know it's cool to drop you or any of the other people in our GC community a line when I need help than just get frustrated.

Our community, btw is pretty cool. Not what I'm used to back home. As a newbie to GC'ing back then, I couln't just drop a CO a line and ask for help. It was...very...clique-ish in a very demoralizing way. If I logged a DNF, there was sure to be an 'established' pro who would come up and make mention in the logs about other people's failures. It sucked, really.

And it was not at all subtle.

I'm a big believer in being to the point and blunt, but am also quite fluent in the subtleties of snark, sarcasim, and passive agressive backhanded comments.

I don't see any of that in your comment(s)! No worries. We're still fine. : )

I like knowing I could send you a random email asking for help, and not have the fear of being burned at the stake for it!

Diplomatic! Ahh...unbelievable!

Good hear. And one must be skilled in those ways to add flavor here and there.

I totally agree, many of my good friends I've met through geocaching. Though we do have a few 'special' people hehe.

BTW: hitting Mailbox this evening with a group of SAR and friends for a summit at sundown, 4,200 feet in about 2.6 miles if you're at all interested. Clampons or microspikes required

Oh, sounds like so much fun! Hiking with a bunch of experienced SAR peeps while I lag behind gasping for air. Toughie. Too bad I'm on call. Can I get back to the hospital, dressed and ready to go w/the pt by my side in 30 mins from there?

Othewise, some other day ;)

Moderator's note: Remember a few pages back with the moderator warned that a thread being dominated by a few posters taking repeated jabs at each other and covering no new ground was not productive? He meant it. Please keep the conversation respectful and productive.

It would have been rude for me to not offer an invite
Now...that was a little snarky

yep :)

Moderator's note: Remember a few pages back with the moderator warned that a thread being dominated by a few posters taking repeated jabs at each other and covering no new ground was not productive? He meant it. Please keep the conversation respectful and productive.

We'll have to continue elsewhere for off-topic

I have an iPhone 3GS, and also a Garmin 60CSx, and won't use my iPhone for caching, simply because it is too slow to update while I'm looking for a cache. An example might be, I'll be looking for something, and my iPhone will say 50 feet away, and then I'll take 20 steps, and it will STILL say 50 feet, it hasn't adjusted yet, and won't for another 30 seconds, which is of course frustrating and near useless. My 60CSx updates my position about once per second, which is adequate for this.

Yeah, my 3GS was a bit slow too (it would NEVER take 30 seconds to update, more like 5). But at 50ft out, I don't need to walk 20ft and then ask my 3GS where I am. I know I'm 20ft closer. So with that distance, I put the iPhone away, walk to 20-50ft, and start looking.

The 60csx is a good unit. In the beginning I was intentionally hard on it to see what it could handle. I'd toss it down the trail, into the creek, drag it on the ground as I hiked....it's a durable little guy!

Of course, today at REI, I was testing out waterproof bags for my iPhone and I threw my iPhone on the ground (I don't have a case or cover for my phone when I'm not caching) and let in take a few tumbles... It got some attention, and I got the bag!

But what I HATE about my garmin is how long it takes to update my location once I turn it on.

Once I get to a new location, the garmin is insistent that I'm still at the old location. It sucks. Anybody know a way to force it to know where I am at? It can take over 15mins to figure out that I'm someplace new!!

At least my iPhone always knows where I am at...

But what I HATE about my garmin is how long it takes to update my location once I turn it on.

Once I get to a new location, the garmin is insistent that I'm still at the old location. It sucks. Anybody know a way to force it to know where I am at? It can take over 15mins to figure out that I'm someplace new!!

At least my iPhone always knows where I am at...

This should only be an issue if you have moved a significant distance from where you last turned it off. I don't know what model you have, bu every Garmin I have owned has a way to tell it your new position so it can look for the proper satellites. On the older Garmins, on satellite screen, press Menu/New Location. It will bring up a map and you can scroll it to the general area of your present location.

On my 60CSx, occasionally (very rarely) it won't find Satellites on startup. It will go for maybe a minute and then timeout, and then I can press menu/new location, and it give the option for Automatic or New Location, and if I choose Automatic, I think it tries harder to find the Satellites, cause then it always finds them after a minute, but if I were to choose New Location, THEN it would bring up the map and ask me for an general area of where I am.

This should only be an issue if you have moved a significant distance from where you last turned it off. I don't know what model you have, bu every Garmin I have owned has a way to tell it your new position so it can look for the proper satellites. On the older Garmins, on satellite screen, press Menu/New Location. It will bring up a map and you can scroll it to the general area of your present location.

Sure. About 10 miles or so. It just flashes a question mark at my last known location. I scroll on the map to my current position and ask it to find geocaches, but it still lists geocaches at my last location.

One time, I found on cache, signed the log and was at GZ to another location before my 60 knew where the heck I was! Over 15 mins...

I have a 60CSx...

[. On the older Garmins, on satellite screen, press Menu/New Location. It will bring up a map and you can scroll it to the general area of your present location.

On my 60CSx, occasionally (very rarely) it won't find Satellites on startup. It will go for maybe a minute and then timeout, and then I can press menu/new location, and it give the option for Automatic or New Location, and if I choose Automatic, I think it tries harder to find the Satellites, cause then it always finds them after a minute, but if I were to choose New Location, THEN it would bring up the map and ask me for an general area of where I am.

Thanks to you both! Yet another feature new to me on my garmin. It's grayed out (new location) but I think it's because by the time I found that screen, it had already determined my location. Must try this next time I use it...

:lol: Thx!

I am new to this and use an Iphone.

I'm thinking about buying an Oregon 550T simply because when I get close to the cach, my compass jumps from 10' in one direction to 20' in the other direction. Is the GPS going to do this also?

Thanks

I am new to this and use an Iphone.

I'm thinking about buying an Oregon 550T simply because when I get close to the cach, my compass jumps from 10' in one direction to 20' in the other direction. Is the GPS going to do this also?

Thanks

Yes, it's typical for all GPS units http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=294046&view=findpost&p=5039907

Thanks for quick reply. I was afraid someone was going to tell me this but that tip on how people deal with it makes sense. Thanks again.

I'm thinking about buying a Garmin Oregon 550T. Any thoughts on why or why not to purchase this or a better unit for the $$.

Thanks again.

It's overkill. If you already have the iPhone, then you just need a basic GPS. You already have all the bells and whistles, why spend a ton of money on more bells and whistles!

Unless you don't care about the money. In that case, I'm sure the Oregon is just fine.

I'm thinking about buying a Garmin Oregon 550T. Any thoughts on why or why not to purchase this or a better unit for the $$.

Thanks again.

It's overkill. If you already have the iPhone, then you just need a basic GPS. You already have all the bells and whistles, why spend a ton of money on more bells and whistles!

Unless you don't care about the money. In that case, I'm sure the Oregon is just fine.

I can't say that I agree that it's overkill as it depends on your circumstances, though I would agree that there would be plenty of doubling of resources.

But first, I'm not sure I'm clear on the core question:

If the question is iPhone / GPSr, then there is already plenty of discussion in this topic and I'd suggest reading all the posts

If the question is which GPSr, then a search of the forums for a more related topic or posting a new one might be the best way to go

Thanks again.

I can't say that I agree that it's overkill as it depends on your circumstances, though I would agree that there would be plenty of doubling of resources.

But first, I'm not sure I'm clear on the core question:

If the question is iPhone / GPSr, then there is already plenty of discussion in this topic and I'd suggest reading all the posts

If the question is which GPSr, then a search of the forums for a more related topic or posting a new one might be the best way to go

Thanks for the replies. I think i have just saved some $$$.

I can't say that I agree that it's overkill ......

What a suprise :rolleyes:.

Most of the bells and whistles on the iPhone are available offline. What features does the Oregon have (other than the gps) that the iPhone doesn't?

Maybe you were too busy playing with your iPhone :laughing: but what I said is that they both have many of the same features. But that isn't the only deciding factor. jez

Lol.

Isnt payig more money for a high duplication of features....overkill?

oh boy, here we go again

Lots of reasons why not, many already discussed in this topic.

Here's one:

32GB iPhone 4: $749 "not waterproof"

Garmin Oregon 550T: $396 "Both durable and waterproof, Oregon 550t is built to withstand the elements"

Personally, if I had an iPhone and I was often in the elements then I would respect it by instead using my lowly GPSr

Ugh...my iPhone didn't cost $800!

Cmon now, don't start taking my comments personally!

if you *already* have an iPhone, it will be with you anyways when it's out in the elements. Sooooo, why not use it for all the smartphone-y stuff, and use your lowly gps(a model we both love and share) for the nitty gritty stuff??

So, why pay more? Save your money and spend it on name brand equipment at REI... !!! !!!

Ugh...my iPhone didn't cost $800!

Cmon now, don't start taking my comments personally!

Not that lol but the whole discussion. It seems to have been run into the ground and now is circling around for another dive bomb

So, how much did it cost???

if you *already* have an iPhone, it will be with you anyways when it's out in the elements. Sooooo, why not use it for all the smartphone-y stuff, and use your lowly gps(a model we both love and share) for the nitty gritty stuff??

Because the GPSr is built to take the abuse while the iPhone isn't and personally I wouldn't want to risk damaging it. In case you forgot, it rains up here a lot ;)

What's nitty gritty stuff you'd use the GPSr for? Maybe you are in agreement with me and haven't realized it yet :o

Omg!!! Do you know anybody who's done this? How fabulous!

I use a bag I got at REI... I only use this bag for things like kayaking. I don't use it for normal seattle rainy days...

Sorry the pic is so big!

Anyhow, I soaked my iphone in the tub for a couple of hours and it was fine. Also, you can txt and talk with it still in the bag. $15 at REI.

c838f744.jpg

Edited by JesandTodd
Here's one:32GB iPhone 4: $749 "not waterproof".....
Old stuff.... iPhones can now be waterproofed.http://ocunwired.ocregister.com/2012/05/21/video-dunking-a-liquipelled-iphone-in-water/14510/

Standard Liquipel $59.00 + the effort

Omg!!! Do you know anybody who's done this? How fabulous!I use a bag I got at REI... I only use this bag for things like kayaking. I don't use it for normal seattle rainy days...Sorry the pic is so big!Anyhow, I soaked my iphone in the tub for a couple of hours and it was fine. Also, you can txt and talk with it still in the bag. $15 at REI.c838f744.jpg

Neat! What's the approx time before heat becomes an issue, if it is an issue?

$15, large and cumbersome, inhibits use, may retain heat to point that phone won't work

All these things that cost (big) $, and then work to the work upload maps, just to get it to do what a GPSr does by default. I'm really not trying to dis you guys but at some point you're going to have to acknowledge the obvious advantages of a dedicated unit

What???

1-$15 is not a lot of money. It's a day and a half of my Starbucks budget

2-it's not cumbersome at ALL. It's a soft bag, that sits in my geobag.

3-may retain heat? Are you kidding? This.is.seattle. When I lived in Az, and cached in the 110+ deg heat, and ran my iPhone hard core it still was fine. Even when my phone was burning hot, it was still fine! There' will NEVER be a time here where my phone will get that hot. Esp if I'm worried about water.

4-just how dies it inhibit use?

This is for my phone. While I am on the water, i will still have my phone and I still need to protect it, whether I am geocaching or not!

What the heck shaddow? What happened? Is this an intentional derailment?

Edited by JesandTodd

I'll have to research it bruce. And I'll probably have to get back to you on another thread. This one is just.heading.down.hill...

Do you remember how hot the 3GS would get? I could sit tinder on top of that and start a fire!

What???

1-$15 is not a lot of money. It's a day and a half of my Starbucks budget

2-it's not cumbersome at ALL. It's a soft bag, that sits in my geobag.

3-may retain heat? Are you kidding? This.is.seattle. When I lived in Az, and cached in the 110+ deg heat, and ran my iPhone hard core it still was fine. Even when my phone was burning hot, it was still fine! There' will NEVER be a time here where my phone will get that hot. Esp if I'm worried about water.

4-just how dies it inhibit use?

This is for my phone. While I am on the water, i will still have my phone and I still need to protect it, whether I am geocaching or not!

What the heck shaddow? What happened? Is this an intentional derailment?

I'll have to research it bruce. And I'll probably have to get back to you on another thread. This one is just.heading.down.hill...

Do you remember how hot the 3GS would get? I could sit tinder on top of that and start a fire!

Ok, ok I give up giving any kind of alternate view. Enjoy your iPhonefest

I don't have a iPhone, but our eTrex Vista had a normal accuracy between 8-15 Feet; our eTrex Vista HCx has an accuracy between 4.1 and 10 Feet; and our Geko 301 had an accuracy between 7-15 Feet.

My Droid 2 Global has an accuracy between 10 and 30 Feet. This is consistent with the adage that a Dedicated device is Superior to a do it All device. The ONLY exception that I've ever found was a 12 in 1 Screwdriver... course, it dosen't work as a prybar then.

The Steaks