TFTC or TFTH?

Acronyms work OKay for nanos or really small micros where the log space is limited.

Please don't log anything but your name and maybe day/month to nanos or really small micros!! But I think this thread refers more to the online logs than the physical log.

Edited by knowschad

In the physical log, I'll use TFTC if there's room (eg. not nano caches)

Online log, it depends. If the cache and find were unremarkable, I'll usually just say TFTC, for lack of anything better to say. :blink:

There is ALWAYS something better to say. If nothing else, there is always, "Thanks for the cache!".

TFTC or TFTH?

Neither. They both translate to "This cache sucked so much all I'm willing to write is a stinkin' little acronym". Generally, these days, when I find a cache that sucks that bad, I just don't log it at all.

When used all by itself. Nothing wrong with adding TFTC as a part of the log:

It was a great day to be on the trails. Found your nicely hidden cache in great shape. TFTC!

(While I hate getting TFTC logs, that by itself doesn't necessarily mean your cache stinks. It could also mean the cacher that posted it doesn't read the forums, but did hear that term, and thinks that it is an acceptable thing. It can also be a cacher that can't type well. All it really means is that the log itself stinks)

If I've said it once, I've said it 50 times. Where the heck were all these people that can't type well from 2000-2008?? :laughing:

You reminded me of a guy though. Just looked, and he joined on new years day, 2004. Couldn't type to save his life. If you emailed him about one of his caches, he would respond with his phone number, and "call me". He's gone pretty inactive, but did recently log his first find since early 2008. After just looking at a few old cache logs, I remembered that he used to log most, but not all of his finds with "Good time thx". Hey, 3 words (sort of) and it's not an acronym!

I also said before I can't believe all the noobs don't notice established cachers aren't logging that way. Unless the majority of them really do never look at the website on a computer, and are just thumbing out the TFTC's on the smartphone from the cache site.

I've never used 'TFTC' or TFTH'.

If I had used either, it would have been as an insult to the cache owner for placing a low-quality cache.

You're doing a poor job at insulting someone then, since you're using such a common acronym that thanks them. They most likely have no idea you are trying to insult them, and probably will interpret it as encouragement, thus causing them to continue to put out poor quality caches.

Probably not, unless they have read some of my logs on other caches.

My online logs all go something like: '1352 Hrs. Found, log signed. Thanks for the [:)] !'.

For some caches, that's it.

If it appears to me the CO actually put some effort into the cache and their choice of location, there will be more.

Occasionally, if it's a really, really, really lame cache I will cut-and-paste several paragraphs from a classic novel, with Melville being my favorite author. ;)

An example.

TFTC or TFTH?

Neither. They both translate to "This cache sucked so much all I'm willing to write is a stinkin' little acronym". Generally, these days, when I find a cache that sucks that bad, I just don't log it at all.

It was a great day to be on the trails. Found your nicely hidden cache in great shape. TFTC!

(While I hate getting TFTC logs, that by itself doesn't necessarily mean your cache stinks. It could also mean the cacher that posted it doesn't read the forums, but did hear that term, and thinks that it is an acceptable thing. It can also be a cacher that can't type well. All it really means is that the log itself stinks)

If I've said it once, I've said it 50 times. Where the heck were all these people that can't type well from 2000-2008?? :laughing:

It was probably the same percentage of cachers, but in those days, that amounted to maybe one cacher in your area. Nowdays the same percentage accounts for dozens of cachers, so we notice it more.

When I use my actual GPSer, I use the comment field to remind myself of anything I want to mention when I upload the field note. Nobody sees it until I have replaced the little memo with something more complete.

When I whip out my iPhone for a quick find, however, I will often use a simple TFTC after a very short remark as a temporary comment, and then when I get to my computer, I edit the note with something more complete. I hope I haven't offended anyone who may have seen such a log in the day or two it takes to get home, but I hate typing long notes on an iPhone. Why is it so easy to offend people with something that matters so little?

TFTC or TFTH?

It was probably the same percentage of cachers, but in those days, that amounted to maybe one cacher in your area. Nowdays the same percentage accounts for dozens of cachers, so we notice it more.

And out of the 50 times I've said it, you may very well be the first one to point that out. :anibad: Except trust me, there are quite a few "dozens" out there now.

When I use my actual GPSer, I use the comment field to remind myself of anything I want to mention when I upload the field note. Nobody sees it until I have replaced the little memo with something more complete.

When I whip out my iPhone for a quick find, however, I will often use a simple TFTC after a very short remark as a temporary comment, and then when I get to my computer, I edit the note with something more complete. I hope I haven't offended anyone who may have seen such a log in the day or two it takes to get home, but I hate typing long notes on an iPhone. Why is it so easy to offend people with something that matters so little?

Because there really was a time it was considered an insult, and translated to "your cache sucks". Trust me, I lived through this time. Ask BrianSnat, he'll vouch for me. :lol:

TFTTPTAAUT

Thanks For The Two Page Thread About A Useless Topic :ph34r:

Technically speaking, TFTC and TFTH are not acronyms. They're abbreviations. In order to be an acronym, the abbreviation has to be equivalent to a phonetically spoken word, which isn't to be confused with an actual real word.

NASA << acronym

FBI << not acronym

DARE << acronym

TFTC << NOT acronym

This post is all in fun. I realize the term acronym is used loosely here so if you don't like it, go caching and fa-get-a-bout-it. << definately NOT an acronym

TFTTPTAAUT

Technically speaking, TFTC and TFTH are not acronyms. They're abbreviations. In order to be an acronym, the abbreviation has to be equivalent to a phonetically spoken word, which isn't to be confused with an actual real word.

NASA << acronym

FBI << not acronym

DARE << acronym

TFTC << NOT acronym

This post is all in fun. I realize the term acronym is used loosely here so if you don't like it, go caching and fa-get-a-bout-it. << definately NOT an acronym

And ironically, the most frequently used acronym for an acronym (TLA...three letter acronym) is not an acronym.

TFTTPTAAUT

NASA << acronym

FBI << not acronym

DARE << acronym

TFTC << NOT acronym

And ironically, the most frequently used acronym for an acronym (TLA...three letter acronym) is not an acronym.

You don't say TLA like tee-la?

and TFTC like tif-tic?

TFTTPTAAUT

NASA << acronym

FBI << not acronym

DARE << acronym

TFTC << NOT acronym

You don't say TLA like tee-la?

and TFTC like tif-tic?

It's not the pronunciation that has to be phonetic, it's the spelling.

I try to write a whole lot more than that, and I try to spell it all out. I have used TFTC at the end of a longer online log. I might just say thank you. Thanks for bringing me here, thanks for showing me a place I didn't know about, thanks for the adventure. But always, unless it wasn't a very good hide, I write something about my visit. And I try to add photos. TFTC I save for micro log sheets.

The cache owner took time to hide it, I should take the time to show my appreciation.

If a cache page is loaded with nothing but a bunch of TFTCs, it's a pretty good indication to me that there wasn't much to see and I won't look for it.

Edited by Planet

I try to write a whole lot more than that, and I try to spell it all out. I have used TFTC at the end of a longer online log. I might just say thank you. Thanks for bringing me here, thanks for showing me a place I didn't know about, thanks for the adventure. But always, unless it wasn't a very good hide, I write something about my visit. And I try to add photos. TFTC I save for micro log sheets.

The cache owner took time to hide it, I should take the time to show my appreciation.

If a cache page is loaded with nothing but a bunch of TFTCs, it's a pretty good indication to me that there wasn't much to see and I won't look for it.

This applies to me entirely but especially the last sentence which might be one reason CO's don't like it, if it is true then one would hope it might encourage them to stop placing caches full stop or start placing better ones rather than get annoyed with the finders, but hey I haven't got round to placing one yet and I know I will get mad if that's all someone logs too. I already get mad if someone logs that on someone elses cache I know is worth more.

I've never used 'TFTC' or TFTH'.

If I had used either, it would have been as an insult to the cache owner for placing a low-quality cache.

You're doing a poor job at insulting someone then, since you're using such a common acronym that thanks them. They most likely have no idea you are trying to insult them, and probably will interpret it as encouragement, thus causing them to continue to put out poor quality caches.

Probably not, unless they have read some of my logs on other caches.

My online logs all go something like: '1352 Hrs. Found, log signed. Thanks for the [:)] !'.

For some caches, that's it.

If it appears to me the CO actually put some effort into the cache and their choice of location, there will be more.

Occasionally, if it's a really, really, really lame cache I will cut-and-paste several paragraphs from a classic novel, with Melville being my favorite author. ;)

An example.

Funny biggrin.gif

People who put out lame caches, most likely don't realize they are lame, thus I don't see why they would recognize that a sole "TFTC" is a lame log. If you want to help reduce the amount of lame caches, then call out the cache owner in your log and say it as it is. Example log: "This is a lame cache, you can do better than this" or "Meh" or "No TFTC". Just some ideas.

And more and more people are caching with smartphones now so more and more logs are just acronyms. Really sad.

It took me three logs to log one event one time. I like to tell the story, and I like to read them. We have a cacher around here, RobDJr whose logs are so great he got his own thread in our local forums so people could post their favorites of his logs.