Tracking an old hide of your own...

Here's an odd one. I was thinking about how I had placed some caches long ago, before I had a membership on geocaching.com. If I came across the coordinates I used, would it be possible to submit a cache with the original hide date, and then archive it so it can be tracked within my profile? I'm thinking of this as more of a way to store the data for myself on my account, rather than letting the information get lost in my mind some day.

Thoughts?

Now, I'm sure this would all have to be checked out with my local Reviewer. The cache location would not fit the current guidelines, and wouldn't be able to be in the location today due to proximity. Anyway, just thinking "out loud".

Here's an odd one. I was thinking about how I had placed some caches long ago, before I had a membership on geocaching.com. If I came across the coordinates I used, would it be possible to submit a cache with the original hide date, and then archive it so it can be tracked within my profile? I'm thinking of this as more of a way to store the data for myself on my account, rather than letting the information get lost in my mind some day.

Thoughts?

Now, I'm sure this would all have to be checked out with my local Reviewer. The cache location would not fit the current guidelines, and wouldn't be able to be in the location today due to proximity. Anyway, just thinking "out loud".

Well let's see: the cache doesn't fit the guidelines, has a proximity issue, and you plan to archive it after it gets published? I think your chances are slim to none, my friend. :unsure:

Hi NeverSummer,

We have some never published caches that we still have to finalize. You can create a cache page with whatever date you like, and it will show up on your personal profile page for your reference. Just don't hit the ready to publish button! Then you will have those old cache coordinates handy.

If you want to use that GC number for another cache, you can change the date, the coordinates and the cache page etc.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman from Alberta

Thoughts?

Well let's see: the cache doesn't fit the guidelines, has a proximity issue, and you plan to archive it after it gets published? I think your chances are slim to none, my friend. :unsure:

The guideline part is the effort to get "permission" today for the hide. The proximity issue can't be avoided, unless I list coords far enough away, and edit once archived. The caches were placed back in 2001, fwiw, when I started "stash hunting".

I understand the possible issues, but geocaching.com is a listing service. Thought it might be possible via some kind of workaround and consideration from Groundspeak, of course. (Just an idea, too...)

As an alternative, I could submit a cache somewhere else, get it published, and then archive it...and move the coords post-archive. (emphasis on "could". Not "should," or "will".)

Hi NeverSummer,

We have some never published caches that we still have to finalize. You can create a cache page with whatever date you like, and it will show up on your personal profile page for your reference. Just don't hit the ready to publish button! Then you will have those old cache coordinates handy.

If you want to use that GC number for another cache, you can change the date, the coordinates and the cache page etc.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman from Alberta

I'm not sure what you mean by this. But, if you are describing the process to create a cache page, but not submit, I thought about it. The only issue there is that it won't show in the "your caches" part of my profile.

Mind you, I'm not trying to pad my numbers for hides or anything. Just throwing an idea out there. It crossed my mind this morning, so here it is!

Writing them up and leaving them unpublished will keep them around where you can see them.

unless I list coords far enough away, and edit once archived.

You can't edit an archived listing, just FYI.

You and your reviewer(s) when they're checking another submission in the area. Generally not a good idea to sit on unpublished caches like that, I suspect. If you do, at least put a reviewer note explaining the reason.

The keeping them as unpublished listings idea is Very Bad Form - while it might possibly work, depending on the reviewer in your area, you'll be squatting in areas that could be used for active geocaches, preventing them from being published as long as your unpublished hides are there. If you just want to keep them online somehow, use a blog page on tumblr or something.

The keeping them as unpublished listings idea is Very Bad Form - while it might possibly work, depending on the reviewer in your area, you'll be squatting in areas that could be used for active geocaches, preventing them from being published as long as your unpublished hides are there. If you just want to keep them online somehow, use a blog page on tumblr or something.

Just create the cache listing, make sure the "Enable cache listing" is not checked, and submit it. Then archive it. This should do what you want without bothering the local reviewer or blocking another's listing.

Just create the cache listing, make sure the "Enable cache listing" is not checked, and submit it. Then archive it. This should do what you want without bothering the local reviewer or blocking another's listing.

If it isn't published, it won't show up under the list of their hides on their public profile. I think that's what they're going for.

This is the root of the problem. For you to have the cache listing on your profile, it has to be published. "If you publish it, they will come", which is definitely not wanted for a cache that isn't really there. I think you're just going to have to let it go.

And even if you didn't archive it, the reviewer would probably just ask your intentions if someone wanted to hide a 'real' cache nearby.

You can try emailing contact@geocaching .com, they may be able to just add the caches to your account. I'm not sure if they will, but it's worth a try. Be sure to explain really clearly what you want to do.

The keeping them as unpublished listings idea is Very Bad Form.

You are mistaken. There are three things that are Very Bad Form in geocaching:

• helping other cachers with puzzle caches in the forums,
  • failing to respond to requests for puzzle cache help by describing the practice as "bad form" and
  • using the phrase "bad form" to describe any action other than the two listed above.

Using an unpublished page is just an ordinary bad idea, not bad form.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

if the position is free to use ?

why not just submit a new cache and let people find your old one ?

the only error you now got is the "real" place date.

write in the cache page it is an OLD reactivated container, originally placed 2001

many will maybe find this cool and visit it, keep it active and share the fun, is also more fun for you.

My question is simply: why? Why would you want to do this?

After all these weren't/aren't geocaches... they're 'stashes'. You say this was was done back when you were into "stash hunting". This would would make these containers stashes, not geocaches. It would be an inaccurate representation of your hides even if padding your numbers is not what you are after.

I would suggest you consider the fact that it would be nearly impossible to accomplish, and that it really doesn't fit in anyway and discontinue this thought. Just my 2 cents.

If it isn't published, it won't show up under the list of their hides on their public profile. I think that's what they're going for.

This is the root of the problem. For you to have the cache listing on your profile, it has to be published. "If you publish it, they will come", which is definitely not wanted for a cache that isn't really there. I think you're just going to have to let it go.

I wasn't aware of that. Will it show up on your personal profile page? I was under the impression that the OP wanted to do this for personal use, not public.

If it isn't published, it won't show up under the list of their hides on their public profile.

I wasn't aware of that. Will it show up on your personal profile page? I was under the impression that the OP wanted to do this for personal use, not public.

If all they want is to record it for their personal edification, then they can certainly create a new listing and leave it unpublished. If they want the public to know about it, it has to be published.