Garmin eTrex 10

I really need a GPS for caching, since all I use is maps. I went to the local Wal Mart and saw that the eTrex 10 was the cheapest there, is it a good idea to get it?

You should probably look at Garmin's list. Keep in mind that you CAN'T add maps to an Etrex 10 and the basemap on the Etrex 10 is pretty limited. Lots of free and pay maps available that might help you in your geocacheing.

Edited by seldom_sn

ok. I was just wanting the GPS that has the compass pointing you in the direction and how close you are to it. but w/e you guys say.

If that is all you really want then the etre10 will be a good gmatch. I loaded over 1000 caches into mine, but the maps do make it kinda wishing for the 20, which i also bought.

ok. I was just wanting the GPS that has the compass pointing you in the direction and how close you are to it. but w/e you guys say.

As mcoppel said a 10 will do that just fine.

A 20 will do it better... and as you find your self wanting to do more you will have the ability to do so....

...explain to me what you mean when you say that you can't load maps onto the etrex 10 and that the maps on there are not very good...

I think this is something you have to see to appreciate.

Go to a store that has working models of both the eTrex 10 and 20 on display. When you look at the 10, remind yourself that what you see is what you get. The maps on the eTrex 20 are better (color, more detailed) right out of the box, and you can download/add even better ones if you want to.

But -- that may not matter for you personally. The enthusiasts here will automatically tell you to buy the more expensive model with more features -- but if you don't want or care about those features that's just silly talk. If you buy the lower end model and decide later that you need more, you can always upgrade.

To answer your original question "Is the eTrex a good geocaching GPS?" Absolutely, I don't think you can do any better in that price range.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Am new to this so could you explain to me what you mean when you say that you can't load maps onto the etrex 10 and that the maps on there are not very good? We are looking for a handheld but the 20 is just too much for us right now so I was looking at the 10. Thanks for explaining more!

In Gpsr there are 2 kinds of maps, downloadable and something called a base map. The Downloadable maps include Ariel maps, navigation maps, ect. and the base map is a loaded map that normally has street based and / or basic contour maps. Not always are the base maps the best and sounds like the 10 is not what your looking for. After reading the post, what type of maps are you looking for on your Gpsr? Right now I have Ariel maps, and contour maps on my Delmore as well as the base map. I prefer the unit because its map based and I do not like touch screen. The only problem with it is that there are no free maps, the maps are all off their annual map service. Anyway, bottom line if your looking for maps, from what others have said the upgrade is the way to go,even though it may be a little out of your price range. :) I trust most who post here with knowledge of what beginners would like. ;)