Date format suggestion

cenotaph

As we move the site to .NET, it is one of my design goals to provide better localization options (like date format preference) for our international users. I don't have any realistic timeline for when this will happen, but expect to see this option in the next version of the site.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Waterboy:

If we change the date format, should we also change the distance to nearest cache format?

Yes, that is one of the many changes that are planned as part of providing better localization options for the site.

Well, this IS an old thread. So... some nice changes have been made to the site. Congrats to all involved, and also in the very recent additions made in response to comments in these forums.

However, I still have a problem with the date being in the format mm/dd/yy and would prefer it if UK registered users could have it displayed in our local format of dd/mm/yy. Is this likely to ever happen?

Well, this IS an old thread. So... some nice changes have been made to the site. Congrats to all involved, and also in the very recent additions made in response to comments in these forums.

However, I still have a problem with the date being in the format mm/dd/yy and would prefer it if UK registered users could have it displayed in our local format of dd/mm/yy. Is this likely to ever happen?

Not just international users, make the option available to ALL users......

Yes, that is one of the many changes that are planned as part of providing better localization options for the site.

Elias said LOCALIZATION OPTIONS -

this means (to me) that no matter where you are (that means the UK too) you should me able to set the date to just about any format available. The assumtion then is that there will be several selections available.

:blink:

Elias said LOCALIZATION OPTIONS -

this means (to me) that no matter where you are (that means the UK too) you should me able to set the date to just about any format available. The assumtion then is that there will be several selections available.

I think the point wasn't to emphasize the UK-availability for the options Elias talked about. Perhaps it was more about the fact that they were talked about in summer 2002.

:blink:

The way localization works, as I understand it anyway, is the web server detects your locale based upon the HTTP header information. It then can do such things as display the text in your native language and display dates in formats that are normally used in that region of the world.

I am currently learning more about this in .NET since I have to provide localized support for 8 countries (Bahrain, Egypt, Greece, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Taiwan and Turkey). If all goes well the project will expand to 24 countries :blink:

Elias: If there's anything I can do to help you guys just holler.

Zack

And that can be completely stupid. My local ISP ( in New Zealand, where most people - and hence most customers - speak english ) changes its email login page in that way. So when you are travelling around, you get greeted in some incomprehensible language, depending on where you log in. That is DUMB!

And in gc.com's situation, it must be able to be set on a per-user basis.

If we change the date format, should we also change the distance to nearest cache format? Only in the United States are we using miles, everyone else uses metric.

Didn't you forget your ancestors in the UK? :mad:

This is something I support, since the date format sometimes do get mixed up by people.