Geocaching Live API Limits

I haven't seen anything official. Actually, I doubt that it is published because they could change it at will. Actually, IIRC, they did change one of the parameters recently, because the servers were getting slammed by certain API calls, and it was affecting the performance and stability for everyone.

My answer assumed that the question came from a developer using the API. The limits will change relatively frequently for various things as we tweak for performance. If seeing exactly what the current state of these limits is and you are not a developer, then you can try asking the developer of your preferred Geocaching Live app to provide access to that information.

You can always call the "getapilimits" method to see what your current limits are.

I just tried that, but nobody answered. :unsure:

Could you possibly be a little more vague, since I doubt anyone knows what you mean. :mad:

What is really scary I understood what Moun10bike said an even know how to do it.

Over on the GSAK board the limits are often mentioned in discussions. It doesn't seem like they are state secrets. They list how many calls per day, calls per minute, limits on various calls, etc.

Clyde has had to throttle some of the calls because the timeout or returning error message when they are bumped up against were crashing the program.

Why not just list this info on the 9.7. Geocaching Live Access and Restrictions Help Center page if it is not classified?

Probably because most of the API limits stuff is a bit arcane and would be gobbley gook to most people. Most of the API stuff is expressed in transactions per minute per transaction type per user type. In general the API limits stuff is only pertinet to developers, for example, there is an API limit on checking the API limits. :huh:

Now that said, any good developer would code an app up to check the current API limits and behave appropriately. B)

I am not the developer, just thought maybe this info might be readily available somewhere, although it sounds like they can be kind of fluid.

Why not just list this info on the 9.7. Geocaching Live Access and Restrictions Help Center page if it is not classified?

You answered you own question there. The limits change too often to list them on a relatively static page like that. And as Corfman Clan mentioned, 98% of the readers wouldn't understand or care.