Webcam caches

From the Geocaching.com cache type page:

Webcam Cache

These are caches that use existing web cameras placed by individuals or agencies that monitor various areas like parks or business complexes. The idea is to get yourself in front of the camera to log your visit. The challenging part is that you need to call a friend to look up the web site that displays the camera shot. You will need to have them to save the picture in order to log the cache. If you’re a tech-head you could save the image yourself by using a wireless modem and a laptop.

Webcam caches are now in the Web Camera category on Waymarking.com.

Basically a spot where a publicly accessible webcam points. You go there and then have some accomplice back at home grab a screenshot of you while you are there. Log it.

The old fashioned, original intent, of course. Before smartphones, that is. :lol: But I personally don't have much luck with being able to view them and take my own pic with a smartphone. Just trying a few out I mean, not that I've actually visited them and sat there with the smartphone on site.

Basically a spot where a publicly accessible webcam points. You go there and then have some accomplice back at home grab a screenshot of you while you are there. Log it.

There is one webcam cache as far I know that people are armchair logging them. :ph34r:

Edited by SwineFlew

:lostsignal: Hey everyone Its ben a while since i was on geocaching and i havent been getting the newsletter. Could someone explain what a webcam cache is? i cant find info on geo.com anywhere. Thanks! :lostsignal:

Here is a good one;

http://coord.info/GCNY4V

Not too bad. One of the "cool" ones you can control the camera yourself with a web browser. Exactly the kind I was talking about in my previous post, that probably aren't going to work with a smartphone, and the most recent log verifies that.

The best use of a webcam (but was not a web cam cache) that I've seen was the Crossroads of America cache at Times Square in NYC. Although it didn't *require* you to use a webcam the cache was actually a container with a "I found it" sign that one could hold up to a nearby webcam (one could just submit a photo as well) Unfortunately it was archives awhile back as was in violation of the ALR guideline and the owner wouldn't (or was unavailable to) change the cache description to remove the requirement to take a photo.

The best use of a webcam (but was not a web cam cache) that I've seen was the Crossroads of America cache at Times Square in NYC. Although it didn't *require* you to use a webcam the cache was actually a container with a "I found it" sign that one could hold up to a nearby webcam (one could just submit a photo as well) Unfortunately it was archives awhile back as was in violation of the ALR guideline and the owner wouldn't (or was unavailable to) change the cache description to remove the requirement to take a photo.

That's very close. I'll amend / flesh out -

The owner didn't act quickly enough on the "this-is-an-ALR-violation-you-must-change-your-description" email from the local reviewer; I think the cache was archived about three weeks after the original contact, because of lack of response from the CO. The CO tried to get it unarchived the following day with amended language but was unsuccessful.

Failing that, the CO listed a new, nearly identical cache the following day (November 22nd) that was the same as before just with the amended ALR language. That cache lasted less than a month before getting muggled. A couple of months after disabling it, the CO moved from the area, so he decided to let the cache die a quiet death.

It was fun while it lasted.

:lostsignal: Hey everyone Its ben a while since i was on geocaching and i havent been getting the newsletter. Could someone explain what a webcam cache is? i cant find info on geo.com anywhere. Thanks! :lostsignal:

Here is a good one;

http://coord.info/GCNY4V

I did that one back in 2008, had a hard time getting us in the shot. We have one in Fremont,CA that has wifi and I took my laptop. My favorite was GCK3VC. I had no one who was available but found someone in one of the businesses who knew about it, take my shot online. But yes I was able to do two webcam ones just using my iphone.

Edited by jellis