Lost Trackable Recycling Program

CedarPointFreak

Greetings fellow geocachers!

Do you have a Trackable that has been lost?

I have started a new FREE service to get it traveling again! I call it the Lost Trackable Recycling Program.

As long as you are sure that your trackable is lost, and it has not been logged in over a year, you can email me the information about your trackable, along with it's tracking number, and I will make up a button like the one in the picture to get it back on the trail again.

What I will do is attach the button to something I have around, such as a hotwheels car, McToy, small stuffed animal, rubber ducky, or something else... I have plenty of candidates for travelers. Let me know what kind of preference you have, or let me know if you want me to surprise you.

You can either leave the TB's Page the same, with whatever goal it originally had, or you can change it's goal to something new! Let me know if you plan on changing the goal, because I will also print out, laminate, and attach a goal sheet to the button too. I will then take a picture of it, and post the picture to the TB's page, so everyone knows what the new one looks like. (I will blur out the tracking number in the picture, so nobody armchair logs it) You can also either change the default picture of your Trackable, or leave it as a memorial to the original.

I will then release it back out into the wild here in middle Tennessee to continue on it's journey.

If you are lucky enough to have your original found later, you can contact whoever has this copy, and have them remove it from circulation.

P.S.

I am just one guy, and have many other obligations in life... I will take requests for this service on a first-come first-served basis. I will try to do as many of these as I possibly can, but please don't feel offended if I don't get to yours right away. I also will check on each one to make sure that it has been at least a year since it has been lost, and if your has been lost for less than that amount of time, I will put it on a watch list, and if it is still missing when the one-year mark hits, I will let you know, and release one then.

901443_orig.jpg

Edited by CedarPointFreak

I dunno about this....

Let me make sure that I have this straight...

You are going to make a TB, using the tracking number of another person's trackable and release it to float around as if it were a trackable in hopes that it would turn up the original?

If so, I think there may be a few potholes in this road...

1) Too many hands in the cookie jar, and mom is not around to officiate;

2) Just whose trackable would it be, anyway?

3) Has this type of action been sanction by Groundspeak? Let me guess.....

Don't get me wrong, the idea and concept seem admirable. If Groundspeak were to consent to this, then so be it, but somehow I just don't think this would draw their blessings.

Hey, I've been wrong before -- and most likely will be again.

To answer the questions that have come up...

All I am really offering is to create a free copy tag for anyone who is interested.

It is still their Travel bug, I am not asking for it to be adopted to me or anything.

I would just make up the copy tag, attach a traveler to it, take a couple of pictures, and release it.

The part about the original showing up again... well, it's always possible when you release a copy tag that the original somehow makes it back into circulation... IF that were to happen, the Owner of the TB could email the next person who grabs the COPY, and have them remove it form circulation.

This can be done for either Travel bugs or Geocoins that have been lost out in the wild...

If anyone would like to re-release their travel bug, I would be happy to provide them a copy tag and traveler at no charge, postage paid.

And I have no interest in logging it.

Edit: and I ain't talking no flimsy cable. Pick a sturdy traveler otherwise go with the op,

Edited by BlueDeuce

If anyone would like to re-release their travel bug, I would be happy to provide them a copy tag and traveler at no charge, postage paid.

And I have no interest in logging it.

Edit: and I ain't talking no flimsy cable. Pick a sturdy traveler otherwise go with the op,

am i hearing this correctly.....

blue duece, you're offering this service too?

do you have any pics to show?

I dunno about this....

Let me make sure that I have this straight...

You are going to make a TB, using the tracking number of another person's trackable and release it to float around as if it were a trackable in hopes that it would turn up the original?

If so, I think there may be a few potholes in this road...

1) Too many hands in the cookie jar, and mom is not around to officiate;

2) Just whose trackable would it be, anyway?

3) Has this type of action been sanction by Groundspeak? Let me guess.....

Don't get me wrong, the idea and concept seem admirable. If Groundspeak were to consent to this, then so be it, but somehow I just don't think this would draw their blessings.

Hey, I've been wrong before -- and most likely will be again.

This post is REALLY negative.

you apparently didn't read the OPs post very well, as you asked questions that were already answered in the opening post.

and answer me this......

why would Groundspeak have a problem with this?

and answer me this......

why would Groundspeak have a problem with this?

The point is that there are people who are willing to help cachers with their bugs and ask nothing in return, not even to log it.

do you have any pics to show?

ff632a30-7bbb-44ea-aec6-d854aa2d776f.jpg

what does the tag look like?

and you're willing to ....

- make a tag

- attach something like the items in the pic

- and then send them out into a cache

FOR FREE ?????

THAT'S VERY GENEROUS !!!

I LOVE IT !!!

All I am really offering is to create a free copy tag for anyone who is interested.

It is still their Travel bug, I am not asking for it to be adopted to me or anything.

I would just make up the copy tag, attach a traveler to it, take a couple of pictures, and release it.

The part about the original showing up again... well, it's always possible when you release a copy tag that the original somehow makes it back into circulation... IF that were to happen, the Owner of the TB could email the next person who grabs the COPY, and have them remove it form circulation.

This can be done for either Travel bugs or Geocoins that have been lost out in the wild...

Sounds good. everything i've put out has been stolen. this whole trackable thing has left sour taste in my mouth[i'm done paying to fill other peoples collections]

now i only buy for ftf prizes or not activatings for myself.

Sounds good. everything i've put out has been stolen. this whole trackable thing has left sour taste in my mouth[i'm done paying to fill other peoples collections]

now i only buy for ftf prizes or not activatings for myself.

i too, think that this is a GREAT idea.

i think people should be running to line up for this AWESOME offer.

it doesn't make sense to not recycle these trackables.

especially when there's zero effort and zero dollars involved.

I've made "Badge-A-Minit" buttons as sig items, with mixed results. If there's any humidity or water in a container, the buttons begin to rust in a few months. There are splotches that bleed through the design (inkjet printed paper). This happened to a couple of my buttons that were in ziplock bags the whole time. My own caches are fine (sealed from moisture and not found often), so buttons inside those hold up well.

Would you mind telling what your buttons are made of? If they're etched or painted (not injet nor laser print) on plastic (no paper), I'd be interested to know what the system is. I'd like to make my own copy tags, but they must be waterproof, and also not fade or bleed over time.

Edited by kunarion

678af508-a100-4960-abe1-2e5dbf531912.jpg?rnd=0.2971874

I've made "Badge-A-Minit" buttons as sig items, with mixed results. If there's any humidity or water in a container, the buttons begin to rust in a few months. There are splotches that bleed through the design (inkjet printed paper). This happened to a couple of my buttons that were in ziplock bags the whole time. My own caches are fine (sealed from moisture and not found often), so buttons inside those hold up well.

Would you mind telling what your buttons are made of? If they're etched or painted (not injet nor laser print) on plastic (no paper), I'd be interested to know what the system is. I'd like to make my own copy tags, but they must be waterproof, and also not fade or bleed over time.

here's what i've been up to

I use the regular buttons, which are made of chromed steel, which can rust over time like any other button. I do use a colored paper insert, and the printing is done by a laser printer, so there is no problems with the ink running if it gets wet or humid. I have for a long time attached one of my signature item buttons to other trackables I move/discover, as a "souvenir", made in the same way I am making the trackable buttons.

I have come across many of these later down the road already, and they seem to be holding up fairly well. minor rusting, but still in good shape. I do make sure all of the trackables I re-release back into the wild are in fresh ziplock back to keep everything as dry as possible, and all the pieces together if the attachments were to come apart.

I have seen other buttons that were printed with inkjet printing that very quickly became ruined, with the ink that ran, and smeared into an unreadable blur... And because laser printers use powdered plastic, that gets attached to the paper by melting and bonding on the surface of the paper, it will never run or bleed.

here's what i've been up to

Those look good! What are they made of?

it's an aluminum dog tag.

i etch it with a dremel tool and put little trinkets on.

i really don't have the time to do anything fancier than that.

the trackable owners can write a note on the trackables page and request that something different be attached.

people that move trackables are often very helpful in that way.

Expect for someone logging it for themselves, dropping it locally, and now obviously adding an extra promotion 'tag'.

THAT is what travel bugs are all about.

i'm not sure i understand what you're saying here.

is this about ME ?

Expect for someone logging it for themselves, dropping it locally, and now obviously adding an extra promotion 'tag'.

THAT is what travel bugs are all about.

i'm not sure i understand what you're saying here.

is this about ME ?

I have for a long time attached one of my signature item buttons to other trackables I move/discover, as a "souvenir", made in the same way I am making the trackable buttons.

I have come across many of these later down the road already, and they seem to be holding up fairly well. minor rusting, but still in good shape.

If you support altering a bug without permission, yeah it's about you.

Now we have someone trying to continue the process by offering something free and at no cost. I see someone offering something by their design and with their tags, and getting to log and place it.

Are they being helpful when they take so many liberties?

NOW i guess we're talking about me.

well.....i DON'T log them and it's not smart to put a bunch in a small town

so i've asked other people to take, and place them around the World.

we're all trying to get MORE trackables into the game.

it shouldn't be a big deal if we each do it differently

this is NOT something we should be arguing about