Mega Events...

I always thought Mega Events were 500+ people but lately I have seen a few mega events with less than 500 "will attend" logs and even less "attended" logs. One cache has about half the needed "attended" logs. I thought that it must have been changed so I looked at the knowledge books and they still say 500+ people is a Mega Event.

Are the knowledge books out of date? Was this changed? If not why do these caches have mega event status when they don't qualify?

Was the event a Mega Event last year? If so, then that event gets to be listed as a Mega Event the next year, even before 500 "will attends" are posted. If they end up with fewer than 500 people signing their event log book, then I'm not sure if their automatic Mega icon gets downgraded to a plain Event icon.

And this is why everyone should attend the 3rd annual Going APE event on Aug. 19, the day after the Groundspeak Block Party (and sign the log!). We just got our Mega status after last year's event and want to keep it. :lol:

Was the event a Mega Event last year? If so, then that event gets to be listed as a Mega Event the next year, even before 500 "will attends" are posted. If they end up with fewer than 500 people signing their event log book, then I'm not sure if their automatic Mega icon gets downgraded to a plain Event icon.

And this is why everyone should attend the 3rd annual Going APE event on Aug. 19, the day after the Groundspeak Block Party (and sign the log!). We just got our Mega status after last year's event and want to keep it. :lol:

That's no problem. Just get the APE cache out of the archive and you will get 500+ in no time!

Sorry, still frustrated that it's gone... :mad:

I think that, if the Duggars had discovered geocaching, there would not be quite so many of them! :laughing:

What part of geocaching prevents procreation? Does mean that my heath insurance will now cover the cost of signature items and a new GPS?

The part that keeps the hands busy in the bushes looking for the cache, instead of other places looking for "love".

Everyone? It would probably cost around $1000 or more for a single geocacher from the east coast of the U.S. to attend the Going Ape Event and block party. For a family of three, it would be closer to $2000. For those that live in Europe, a family of three might expect to spend $4000 or more.

Not "Everyone" lives in the Pacific Northwest and has the luxury of only spending a couple hundred dollars or so to attend one of the events located near HQ, yet it seems to be pretty common for those living in the PNW to talk about local events as if we all have equitable access.

Everyone? It would probably cost around $1000 or more for a single geocacher from the east coast of the U.S. to attend the Going Ape Event and block party. For a family of three, it would be closer to $2000. For those that live in Europe, a family of three might expect to spend $4000 or more.

Not "Everyone" lives in the Pacific Northwest and has the luxury of only spending a couple hundred dollars or so to attend one of the events located near HQ, yet it seems to be pretty common for those living in the PNW to talk about local events as if we all have equitable access.

It's in the same way "everyone" should attend GeoWoodstock, whereever it's being held. I'm sorry you feel so put upon by living in the hinterlands.

Not sure what your grumpy point is (and hey, I was joking). Many folks spend that on vacation travel, which is what this is. And the Block Party weekend isn't a locals event; Groundspeak calls it "international geocaching day" (or weekend). Last year, we had folks from all over the world, from Maine to Australia, and a group of Germans has already booked their trip for this year. Not sure how that's different from other mega-events - some can go, others can't. I didn't make it to Pennsylvania last year for GeoWoodstock. Darn.

I get that the PNW seems to have more geocaching booty, but that's where geocaching started and where Groundspeak is located. If I were a Revolutionary War buff, I'd have to travel to your part of the country quite a bit, but I wouldn't have a chip on my shoulder about it. It is what it is.

Edited by hydnsek

I think that, if the Duggars had discovered geocaching, there would not be quite so many of them! :laughing:

What part of geocaching prevents procreation? Does mean that my heath insurance will now cover the cost of signature items and a new GPS?

The part that keeps the hands busy in the bushes looking for the cache, instead of other places looking for "love".

So does this mean if I keep on geocaching I won't get any??

I knew it was a bit of a geeky sport, but really?

wow, my numbers aren't going anywhere now.

Especially if you are a FTF hound - when the cache placement bell rings, you drop >everything< to go find it...

Not unless you carry a blanket in your backpack when hiking with your partner. I wouldn't do it at a mega-event, however..

I always thought Mega Events were 500+ people but lately I have seen a few mega events with less than 500 "will attend" logs and even less "attended" logs. One cache has about half the needed "attended" logs. I thought that it must have been changed so I looked at the knowledge books and they still say 500+ people is a Mega Event.

Are the knowledge books out of date? Was this changed? If not why do these caches have mega event status when they don't qualify?

A rule of thumb that I use for estimating event attendance is to multiply Will Attends by 2.5. It usually comes out pretty close to the actual attendance.