Advice On A Cache Series

Tha Duh Feez

I'm trying to plan a series of caches titled "Welcome To...". The idea is to place caches on the backs of the signs of the small towns, villages, & hamlets in the area. Sadly, they are all wooden signs & posts.

Any ideas on how I can add caches to the back of wooden signs without vandalizing them? Or should I just abandon the idea?

A technique I've seen a few times is to get a piece of wood the same size as the post, only shorter. Hollow it out to hold a waterproof container. Then color-match the paint on the post and paint the piece of wood to match. Set the piece of wood on the ground next to the post. It could look something like this:

__                   __
|  |_________________|  |
|  |                 |  |
|  |  W E L C O M E  |  |
|  |       T O       |  |
|  |  A N Y T O W N  |  |
|  |__               |  |
|  |  |              |  |

you could also use velcro
I thought of that too at first, but it could be considered "defacing".
One common rule of thumb for whether something is "defacing" is to determine whether anything will remain when you remove the cache, camouflage, and other related game pieces. If there would be no sign of your cache placement left, then it is not "defacing". If there would be, then it is.

A lot depends on how the Velcro® would be attached to the post.

These signs usually have metal bolts for sign attachment . . . perfect for attaching magnetic nanos - have seen flat head roofing nails added for this purpose, also. No magnetics are required for a small flat plastic baggie (container) with a log that is slipped between the sign & the post . . . I have done this on seveal hides but elevate the difficulty!

A technique I've seen a few times is to get a piece of wood the same size as the post, only shorter. Hollow it out to hold a waterproof container. Then color-match the paint on the post and paint the piece of wood to match. Set the piece of wood on the ground next to the post. It could look something like this:

__                   __

You are so smart Nirad. Too bad whoever damaged the park sign in Santa Cruz didn't think of that.

__                   __

Love the suggestion and the illustration!

Cool, ASCII Art. How about the back of the sign though, and it generally would hide you from the public driving by? Pretend my copy of niraD's art is the BACK of the sign. There are usually support members, and you can just set the aforementioned wooden block on one of the support members like I (try) to show below. Found one like that last month, although it was an interpretive bird sign, not a "welcome to" sign.

__                   __
|  |_____            |  |
|  |_____|___________|  |