No satelitte view in maps

nelliegooner

On the top right of the map there is an icon that looks like a stack of paper. Click that and select Mapquest Aerial. At least for now you should be aware that it loads REALLY slow so be prepared to wait for a while.

There are a couple of other options that are faster. If you scroll down the cache page there is a link to Google maps. It only shows one waypoint and I suspect that it will go away pretty soon but it does have satellite images and loads fast. The second is to copy and paste the coords into google maps or google earth or your other preferred mapping application and search with them.

Was going to reply to their announcement about the same. Then saw this. Replying so Groundspeak know not working well. Not sure how slow but after 5 minutes hadn't loaded on my 30mb connection so pretty much killed the fun of satellite views which I loved.

I can understand Groundspeak leaving google maps and in fact beginning to think these new maps are better due to footpath inclusion but overhead picture tells a lot about an area, like if it is beautiful etc. Helps a lot on choosing a route.

Please improve.

Huh!! Just noticed Lil Devil reply.....looks fine but still much slower to use than from first origin and doesn't allow a whole series to be viewed. Could be better.

Edited by MuzzaDazzler

Every single cache page has a bunch of links to various mapping websites. Notice the 3rd link. That will open the Google Map with just that one cache marked. Then you can switch to aerial maps.

online-map-links.png

Well, this is not necessarily the answer to all map selection. I've posted in another thread that if you choose to preview a PQ, those map selections are acceptable except for the aerial choice. Mapquest Aerial does not match the Google Map aerial product (which is not an option when previewing PQ's). What we have with Mapquest Aerial is incomplete loading at certain levels and no acute magnification. Basically it stinks!! Oh, sorry for the outburst....

Edited by sjclimber

This is absurd, I like using the "Hybrid" feature, so I can get the lay of the land while still being able to see the street names, one of my main reasons for doing this is to scout out promising locations before spending the gas to go to the actual site. But now Hybrid is no longer an option. Why?

Also, the accuracy of "mapquest aerial" no where near matches the zoom-in capability of google maps satellite, and when you link to another site as " Lil Devil" suggested, the accuracy is diminished (I know, I checked it on one of my own caches, and it was shown to be in the middle of the road)

As a final slap in the face, it seems you no longer have the option of switching to classic. Why make changed that reduce functionality?

Strange thing is sattelite not working on my PC below about 35k feet and as I like to use to choose where to park too not very useful. Funny how much you miss something when it is gone.

However working on app on my iPhone fine.

Shame. How can we put pressure on google to stop charging? Thats the way we should try and tackle this.

Strange thing is sattelite not working on my PC below about 35k feet and as I like to use to choose where to park too not very useful. Funny how much you miss something when it is gone.

However working on app on my iPhone fine.

Shame. How can we put pressure on google to stop charging? Thats the way we should try and tackle this.

Also on iPad in safari the maps are no longer working such that you can press on a cache and open it. Please fix.

there is no up grade... we all know this is a huge down grade and not acceptable to the members as you can see by reading. The functionality of maps is in the dumper. I think a lot of us use maps in many different ways, each as a function we have created to fit our quirks. We want our old maps back! There should at least be a lame lie about why this was done. But no matter what it is we want our old map service back and working. This piece of junk map clearly doesn't work. My computer is new and plenty of power and .... the map is worthless...

Sure we can go to google maps and input the coordinates and get a nice tight location on the map but that leaves off the other caches in the area.. so going to google doesn't help a lot.. just bring them back, I pay to use this site so I expect it to work smoothly. :angry: The day of old bulletin boards is long gone, so why do I feel like I am trapped in a time warp.

Not real happy...

Flutemaker :mad:

there is no up grade
That is correct. As OpinioNate explained in About Google Maps in the Announcements forum, this is an update to stop using Google Maps to avoid paying Google thousands of dollars a day.

we all know this is a huge down grade and not acceptable to the members as you can see by reading. The functionality of maps is in the dumper.
Speak for yourself. Yes, some members are upset. But some of us are fine with the change. The maps I use still work just as well as they ever did.

There should at least be a lame lie about why this was done.
How about the able-bodied truth?
there is no up grade
That is correct. As OpinioNate explained in About Google Maps in the Announcements forum, this is an update to stop using Google Maps to avoid paying Google thousands of dollars a day.

we all know this is a huge down grade and not acceptable to the members as you can see by reading. The functionality of maps is in the dumper.
Speak for yourself. Yes, some members are upset. But some of us are fine with the change. The maps I use still work just as well as they ever did.

There should at least be a lame lie about why this was done.
How about the able-bodied truth?

If your maps are working as good as they ever did then I understand why you don't have a problem. The maps are trash and working in this case would be like congress. NOT. So since we are stuck without Google is there a map out there that works?

So since we are stuck without Google is there a map out there that works?
I use the "Google Maps" link that is on every cache page. It shows only one cache at a time, but that's fine with me. I've only rarely used the "Geocaching.com Google Map" link, so I really don't miss its functionality.
So since we are stuck without Google is there a map out there that works?
I use the "Google Maps" link that is on every cache page. It shows only one cache at a time, but that's fine with me. I've only rarely used the "Geocaching.com Google Map" link, so I really don't miss its functionality.

The second map down says Google in the lower right corner but it is not a google map that uses mapquest and several others that are not much use compared to the old maps. I have no clue why it still says Google.

In the past I used Google earth with caches.. to locate possible new cache areas, checking distances before going in the field. This new map selection doesn't work for me at all. Not good for planning. :tired:

Groundspeak has received a lot of feedback from the geocaching community regarding the recent changes to our maps, including recent improvements to our Pocket Query/Map integration. We understand that the change in maps was not ideal for many customers who were used to seeing Google maps on geocaching.com.

Please understand that we are committed to delivering exceptional functionality, including high quality maps. We are continuing to analyze available options for mapping while also actively working with MapQuest to improve the current functionality and service.

Groundspeak has received a lot of feedback from the geocaching community regarding the recent changes to our maps, including recent improvements to our Pocket Query/Map integration. We understand that the change in maps was not ideal for many customers who were used to seeing Google maps on geocaching.com.

Please understand that we are committed to delivering exceptional functionality, including high quality maps. We are continuing to analyze available options for mapping while also actively working with MapQuest to improve the current functionality and service.

Yes, but are why there are no useful satellite views for most of the planet?

why there are no useful satellite views for most of the planet?

Because so far Google is the only company that has taken the time to collect a set of good images to publish on the internet. And now they want to be paid for all that work. :rolleyes:

Yes, well in that context the question becomes, "why are there no useful satellite views for any part of the planet". But the basic question remains...why does the US get at least something, while the rest of us get beige blankness?

I can see the reasoning (money), but this sucks.

The "Google Maps" link that is on the cache page only shows only one cache at a time. I dare say most folks do as I do, load up the map of their general area, scan around all the caches that are marked as unfound, zoom in on likely candidates for the days adventures, then finally hit Satellite view to plan the route. The MapQuest Ariel layer is useless, has never loaded for me.

How about Premium members get access to the Google Maps? Would that drop usage to below the payment threshhold?

These new MapQuest satellite maps are just horrible. I'm in disbelief that they have switched to these! They never *ever* work adequately for me. Now I have to open another browser tab and load a Google Maps satellite image and compare it to the street map on geocaching.com to try to guess where the cache is on the satellite image. It worked great before and now it doesn't work at all.

I have never complained about anything here before so I don't know how to do it best. If I need to post this somewhere else in the forum for hope that it might help influence them to go back to Google Maps, I'd appreciate it if someone would clue me in. Thanks.

I could get used to using another map source if they provided a scale for distance. On the announcement page the OpenStreetMap example shows a scale in the lower left hand corner, but none of the maps provided seem to show this very important feature. What kind of map doesn't provide a scale? :huh: It is very helpful when planning a cache hide to be able to look at a map and get an idea of what is available 500 feet from any established cache.

Please Groundspeak, whatever mapping option you decide to go with, please have the maps include a scale!