Traveling Caches

badger10

We have a traveling cache going through the Tri-Cities in Washington State. I was wondering if anybody knows how many travelers there are? It gave me the opprotunity to "place" a geocache without going through the whole process. Now all I have to do is actually go out and place one.

We have a traveling cache going through the Tri-Cities in Washington State. I was wondering if anybody knows how many travelers there are? It gave me the opprotunity to "place" a geocache without going through the whole process. Now all I have to do is actually go out and place one.

It depends. Some are area specific. Example if it is for Salt Lake city, it can't leave the area. Others are free roaming.

I don't have an exact amount of free moving but I would say about 10, which is about a total of 47 total travelers.

So far I've found and moved 11.

Edited by jellis

I have a question ragarding the ones that travel outside of an immediate area and are routinely having their coordinates changed. Will this not mess up an individual's profile statistics and maps? If you find it in Ohio and it is now in Alaska or Bolivia , won't your stats say that you now have a find in Alaska or Bolivia even though you have never been there? Also the mileage and souvenirs associated with the latest location?

Edited by cheech gang
Addisonbr: Weird New Jersey no longer moves. Tis a pity, but ...

No! Really? You were reading my mind, I was just plotting it out on a map earlier today.

Hmph.

Read the cache page, hasn't moved in years. I actually found it in 2003 or 2004 when it was still moving. Tomb of the 7 Nuns, or something like that. Creepy and spooky, that was. I did not move it, because unlike Joe Piscipo, I'm not from Joisey.

I'm aware of some that are being used as "pocket caches", and being carried to events. But the major one I know of isn't on that bookmark list, so maybe it is a true listing of the very rare traveling caches remaining. Of course I just placed one on a different Geocaching website on New Years Eve.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I have a question ragarding the ones that travel outside of an immediate area and are routinely having their coordinates changed. Will this not mess up an individual's profile statistics and maps? If you find it in Ohio and it is now in Alaska or Bolivia , won't your stats say that you now have a find in Alaska or Bolivia even though you have never been there? Also the mileage and souvenirs associated with the latest location?

This is true. I have found a couple of traveling caches, and every once in a while I am surprised by my states map, or my miles-cached-in-a-day stat.

Our local roving cache, "The Rock That Rolls", is restricted to a range of 20 miles from the Texas State Capitol Dome. It sounds pretty restrictive, but it actually brings several nearby communities and even a couple of nearby counties into play.

Of course, with this tight of a restriction, the only thing it's movement could effect are county maps. But in the case of this cache, the owner does not change the cache coordinates every time it moves (It moves FAR to often to do that!) so the listing coordinates stay static.

I guess I have been in a rock (cache container). I've never heard of a moving cache. I looked at "The Rock That Rolls" and what a great idea and judging by the vavorite votes very popular. So sad that there are so few. How are they constrained as to their locations?

I gotta find me one of them!

The constraints are basically as follows:

- No new traveling caches, as per Groundspeak

- For grandfathered listings, the owner may sometimes request that the cache not leave a particular area. Some caches may not leave a particular park, some a city or county, others a state. Some have missions, like many Travel Bugs would. Many have no limitations.

You can either log it as a note and it won't affect it, but you won't get the find. Or like some of us do, if you have GSAK change the coords to the location you found it and LOCK it. So in your GSAK stats they won't change but in your GC stats they will. Some of the travelers the coords are not being changed but instead they only change in the logs.

I guess I have been in a rock (cache container). I've never heard of a moving cache. I looked at "The Rock That Rolls" and what a great idea and judging by the vavorite votes very popular. So sad that there are so few. How are they constrained as to their locations?

I gotta find me one of them!

Well you are OUT THERE! Best thing is to put watches on the free moving ones and get them as they come close to you. If you visit an area see if any are around. Or you are going to have to venture out and find them. Last year I went out to Utah for Potter's Pond for part of the Jasmer Challenge, and snatched one of Jacob's moving caches and brought to Calif.

FizzyMagic had the 50 state cache in his front yard for a short while and I was able to sign that.

I drove and cached in Monterey and snagged the Lewis&Clark one.

Some just came across my path.

During the Block Party in WA we had in our small group on the steps, 2 of Jacob's moving caches, one of Little known Park Finders and one of the Stop n go gos. We were surrounded by cachers wanting to sign them.

Edited by jellis

No! Really? You were reading my mind, I was just plotting it out on a map earlier today.

Hmph.

Read the cache page, hasn't moved in years. I actually found it in 2003 or 2004 when it was still moving. Tomb of the 7 Nuns, or something like that. Creepy and spooky, that was. I did not move it, because unlike Joe Piscipo, I'm not from Joisey.

I'm aware of some that are being used as "pocket caches", and being carried to events. But the major one I know of isn't on that bookmark list, so maybe it is a true listing of the very rare traveling caches remaining. Of course I just placed one on a different Geocaching website on New Years Eve.

Problem there is when some of the reviewers or Moun10bike sees that they are not moving or being found for a long period of time they will treat it like any other cache. Send a message to the CO and if no response, it is archived and no unarchiving those.

Edited by jellis

Hmph.

Problem there is when some of the reviewers or Moun10bike sees that they are not moving or being found for a long period of time they will treat it like any other cache. Send a message to the CO and if no response, it is archived and no unarchiving those.

Oh, you're talking about the Weird NJ Rolling Rock cache? The owner is a semi-frequent forum participant, may even see this himself. Moun10Bike does have a list of caches that mess up peoples stats (for example, I have a find with bogus coordinates in Arctic Canada), but even when Weird NJ was traveling, it's Joisey, the 3rd smallest State in land area. :lol:

I never thought about it being archived and losing the "?" icon. It's definitely a viable cache sitting out in the woods.

OK, I'd chime in.

Traveling caches are very hard to maintain. The Weird NJ cache went missing 3 times, but I believe there was a disgruntled cacher that was gunning for it after the guideline change.

If enough locals show an interest and understood the concept, I'd considered getting this one to rolling again. ;)