Passworded Logs

kimbest

After reading some of the wish lists for new features, I came up with mine. The ability to Password protect the 'I Founded it' button on the cache logs. So if someone clicked a find on the cache, when they clicked the 'Submit' button a page will come up asking them to enter the password.

This would be great for virtual caches where the finder must answer a question to log the find. The finder could e-mail the owner and the owner would send them the password, or the answer to the question itself could be the password.

This would end the dilima. Some one posted a find on my virtual cache but they didn't follow the rules. Do I delete it. Do I ask them to delete it? Or do I just ignore it, and let my whole concept go to pot

Password protection for "Found It!" logs is a great idea that I have been hoping for for quite a while now. On the "Hide a cache" page, the hider puts a password in a new field called...ummm...password. The same password is in the physical cache (in the log, etc.). When the finder posts the find, their password must match what was entered on the "Hide a cache" page. Virtuals could be handled the exact same way.

Sounds like a piece of cake programming wise. Are there any issues that we may not have thought of?

tvn.gif

Mmmm... I like the idea in theory, but the problem I see is yet one more step someone has to make in order to log a find online. There are enough people already that don't post their finds online, we don't need to discourage more.

Of course... it could work the opposite way. If you put a sheet in the cache that says "Here's your password to log your visit online!" that might encourage some people to do it because of the spy-like thoughts it puts in their head.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by kimbest:

This would end the dilima. Some one posted a find on my virtual cache but they didn't follow the rules. Do I delete it. Do I ask them to delete it? Or do I just ignore it, and let my whole concept go to pot

I know how you feel. My Don't Know Much About History cache has been a source of continuing headaches for me. People just can't seem to meet the three simple requirements. Maybe half of the people got everything right the first time. I have sent out dozens of emails trying to get people to comply with the rules. I email them if there is a problem. Most have either fixed the problem or emailed me to find a solution. A few have required a second email. One did not answer two emails or fix the problem in over two weeks, so I deleted the log.

It's been a pain in the bum, but I like my idea enough that I will keep it going. I don't think I'll ever have another cache that requires so much maintenance. icon_rolleyes.gif

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by kimbest:

I know how you feel. My Don't Know Much About History cache has been a source of continuing headaches for me. People just can't seem to meet the three simple requirements. Maybe half of the people got everything right the first time. I have sent out dozens of emails trying to get people to comply with the rules. I email them if there is a problem. Most have either fixed the problem or emailed me to find a solution. A few have required a second email. One did not answer two emails or fix the problem in over two weeks, so I deleted the log.

It's been a pain in the bum, but I like my idea enough that I will keep it going. I don't think I'll ever have another cache that requires so much maintenance. icon_rolleyes.gif

rdw

... you're not piping up here, so this must be something you're working on, or have completely abandoned. icon_smile.gif

If you've decided against this, could you tell us why? It seems like it would be such a simple thing to implement, and would be quite useful.

Thanks!

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

... you're not piping up here, so this must be something you're working on, or have completely abandoned. icon_smile.gif

If you've decided against this, could you tell us why? It seems like it would be such a simple thing to implement, and would be quite useful.

Thanks!

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I like the idea of giving the owner of a cache the OPTION of adding a password to log a find. Maybe this could be a perk given to members, not just for MO caches, but for all caches owned by members

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/25021_1200.gif

If piling on votes for an item not being (officially) voted on will help move this along, throw my "yea" on the pile as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I like the idea of giving the owner of a cache the OPTION of adding a password to log a find. Maybe this could be a perk given to members, not just for MO caches, but for all caches owned by members

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/25021_1200.gif

If piling on votes for an item not being (officially) voted on will help move this along, throw my "yea" on the pile as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

I came came to the forum today intending to ask if there was a way to incorporate a password or PIN for logging a virtual. I guess it's not a new idea, but one many others have been thinking of. I agree it should be optional. It would be a great option to have, though. You wouldn't have to play email tag with the cache owner that way.

What a great idea! And then someone can collect all the pins/passwords in his area, write them in a notebook and put it into a level 1/1 cache somewhere.

Or better yet . . . the cache owner could make a requirement that to receive the password, a finder must submit the pins/passwords to 2 other area caches.

quote:
What a great idea! And then someone can collect all the pins/passwords in his area, write them in a notebook and put it into a level 1/1 cache somewhere.

Ok, I realise this can be easily comprimised. But I really wanted it for cases where the cacher might not get it. Not to stop people who might want to cheat.

I think putting an optional password on a cache would be great. Some examples of how I'd use it:

What is the name of the bronze statue at N 37 52.304 W 122 15.408?

What is on the benchmark at N 37 56.855 W 122 18.305?

What was founded at N 37 52.387 W 122 15.379?

It would also be nice to be able to set a flag on a photo or log entry, so that only those who had validly found the cache could see them.

I found one cache a few weeks ago that, when I went to log it online, it showed that someone else had been there the same day. However, none of the items they said they took or left were in the cache when I was there, nor was their entry in the physical cache log. Immedietly suspicious, I checked their profile and discovered that they had also "found" 20+ other physical caches all over the country on the same day (and had a total of 899 "finds" at the time). I emailed the cache owner to tell him what I found, and he deleted their log, but if I hadn't happend to hit the cache the same day, nobody probably would have been the wiser. I'm sure this person's total count is well over 1K by now.

Now, it's not really THAT big a deal if you ask me, but is someboey want's to insist on cheating to that extreem, then let's at least make it a little more difficult for them, huh? icon_wink.gif

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

I found one cache a few weeks ago that, when I went to log it online, it showed that someone else had been there the same day. However, none of the items they said they took or left were in the cache when I was there, nor was their entry in the physical cache log. Immedietly suspicious, I checked their profile and discovered that they had also "found" 20+ other physical caches all over the country on the same day (and had a total of 899 "finds" at the time). I emailed the cache owner to tell him what I found, and he deleted their log, but if I hadn't happend to hit the cache the same day, nobody probably would have been the wiser. I'm sure this person's total count is well over 1K by now.

Now, it's not really THAT big a deal if you ask me, but is someboey want's to insist on cheating to that extreem, then let's at least make it a little more difficult for them, huh? icon_wink.gif

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

I'm just afraid of the violent eruption that will inevitably come of this when someone starts posting passwords online.

A possible alternative would be a "moderated finds" option: Any "found it" log is set as an "Other" and e-mailed to the hider, who then has the option of turning it into a find.

Another can of worms, I know, and I'm not saying I like it (or don't... or whatever), but it's a possible alternative that would avoid the "posted password" bomb.