Paperless caching options

mdplayers

My paperless caching setup has fallen victim to the advancement of technology at home. I had been using a WinXP laptop and an old Palm PDA with CacheMate installed on it. Now that I've taken the leap to a new laptop with Win7(64bit), I cannot find software to sync the PDA to get caches loaded on it.

I do not have a smartphone and I use a Magellan Explorist 210 GPSr.

What options for paperless caching are there for me now?

My paperless caching setup has fallen victim to the advancement of technology at home. I had been using a WinXP laptop and an old Palm PDA with CacheMate installed on it. Now that I've taken the leap to a new laptop with Win7(64bit), I cannot find software to sync the PDA to get caches loaded on it.

I do not have a smartphone and I use a Magellan Explorist 210 GPSr.

What options for paperless caching are there for me now?

I had the same issue when I went to Vista x64. What I found is that I could put the data on the SD card with a card reader, not going through a sync, and I could still function just fine. If the only usage of the PDA is for CacheMate then it works OK. Since that time I have gotten a smart phone and don't use the Palm device anymore.

Have you tried gsak? It works great on my 64 bit OS.

He's looking for options to get his old PDA going on the 64-bit OS for paperless caching or another paperless caching option.

Depending on which palm the OP has there may not be an SD card slot. So he may have to go with another PDA that has an SD slot, buy a new GPSr with paperless caching or get an iPod Touch. Your best option would be to spend about $120 on the eTrex 10 so you have paperless caching. Its much like that 210 but has paperless caching.

Truly too many variables to provide a concise answer.

Whether or not your Palm unit has an SD card slot being the main issue.

If it does, then you can easily export .pdb files from GSAK, and copy them to the card for your unit.

If not, then you have a plethora of possible solutions all the way from getting another Palm unit off EBay for a few bucks, to springing for a new GPSr or smartphone (you can get CacheMate for your ANDROID smartphone ;) )

I was able to run the hotsync program in compatible mode, now I need to actually connect the palm and try to hotsync. Hubby was asleep and the sounds the palm makes when you sync wakes him up!

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I may be on the way to getting this all worked out.