Want to place a first cache, but shipping out soon

beastmuffintron

So I'm leaving to boot camp next month (February 22) and I'd like to place my first cache just before I ship out. I'm leaving home for the first time after 21 years and I really want to leave something behind, but the thing is, I'm leaving. My motivation is unfortunately also the problem here. I understand that when placing a cache, the owner must take responsibility for that cache and be able to perform necessary maintenance on it. If I'm on the other side of the country I will not be able to do that. I may be able to find a proxy to do so for me occasionally and I can check on it myself when I do eventually get leave, but I'm not sure if creating a cache I can't take care of myself for the majority of the year is bad form.

A lot of people going into the military need something to get them through their first years. Most of my friends needed only the motivation of knowing that they'd be able to see their families or significant others once they overcame whatever trial they faced at the time(especially boot camp). Unfortunately, I won't get the opportunity to see my family after boot camp and the significant other I typically turn to will be in Afghanistan. A cache, however, would be lovely anchor to have at home. I'd love to know that it's there and that people are interacting with something I left behind, in place of my own presence while I'm away. Still, I feel that placing a cache thinking of my own needs rather than the needs of the geocaching community is a bit selfish. I just want some feedback so I know whether or not a farewell cache is appropriate, considering that a farewell cache means the cache owner is leaving for an extended period of time. I'm also wondering if it may be acceptable to place it and just see how it goes for a year or so and remove it or continue it based on that.

-Mary

Hi Mary, and thank you for your service.

I recommend writing to the owners of some existing, well-maintained caches near your desired hiding location, and asking them in advance if they'd mind looking after any maintenance needs while you are away. Then, include this information in a "reviewer note" when you submit your cache for publication, so your reviewer knows you've paid attention to the Cache Maintenance section of the Listing Guidelines.

I know that I'd be honored to receive and respond to such a request.

The hide should be designed to pretty much take care of itself, be low-maintenance. Maybe a lock-n-lock with a nice big log for signatures. And in a spot that's safe and simple to re-hide. If it's a container that's easy to replace, someone may have no problem replacing it if there's major issue, but it may be a problem if it's a specially hand-crafted camo container. I replaced a nano for a soldier overseas. The nano's top was gone, and the log was full. But there were many finds before mine, so quite some time before maintenance was done. It was also kind of hard to contact the cache owner.

Edited by kunarion

I'm on active duty, and we started caching when we were stationed in Germany. We've since moved twice, and we've left caches behind at both former duty stations, as well as near my folks' place.

The key is having a maintenance plan. Less important at your home of record, as long as you'll be returning from time to time (make sure you point that out in the cache description); more important if you're stationed in an area and then hit your permanent change of station (PCS), or even if you deploy. I love my family, but they don't cache; I'd rely on local cachers to help out if you're not going to be getting home often enough.

When it came time for us to leave different areas, we took a look at all our caches and made a conscious decision as to which ones we wanted to keep alive and which ones the area could live without. Of the 27 physical caches we hid in Germany, we've ended up archiving all but 8; of the 11 we hid in Virginia, 7 are left.

You may also think about publishing an earthcache -- geologic features don't need much maintenance. :laughing:

p.s. While you're in boot camp, worry about boot camp; once you're out of your initial training and at your first duty station, you may want to see if there is a local chapter of the Military Association of Geocachers (MAGC).

Edited by hzoi

Thank you for your service.

What Keystone suggests is what some of us who travel the country do as well, find someone local who can assist with maintenance and contact them through the site. I would begin with the owners of one that you have found since that is most likely your neighborhood there in Bakersfield. After you get email agreement, place and submit the cache copying the agreement to the reviewer in the notes.

Keep in mind, the more inventive the cache, the more glowing comments you will receive on it.