BEWARE. PLEASE READ! VERY IMPORTANT

sunkist21

Okay, just to clear this up for everyone, heres my side of the story, since IM the one who found it, and IM the one who called the police.. When your a geocacher, u go out for the fun, and u go out to find a jar full of trinkets... i would understand if the caches name was "halloween cache" so that people would undestand you might find something creepy.. but this cache was nature cache.. in a tree... i would have never expected to find a jar full of dark red solution with what looked to be a tounge and fingers stuck with about 100 pins in them, with a face of a kids picture pinned to the tounge... you could even see the fingernail!! what looked to be the fingers were decaying, there was stuff floating all around the inside of the jar... and there was a second jar, which lookede to me to be a penis wrapped with string..now what id like to know, is what person in their right mind would open the jar to smell it when it could possibly be a murder case? i didnt want to put my fingerprints on that! So I called the cops immediately. They needed to know about this.. and when the cop showed up, at first they were joking but the second he saw the jar he even thought it was real and called his sargent.. and seeing as they found a head in the woods a week back, they thought i had found the rest of the body. They told me it was possibly gang related because of the kids picture in it but who knows... im just thanking god that it was me who found it and not some little kid.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-jar-of-fingers-tongue-determined-to-be-nonhuman-20111205,0,1174320.story

Edited by sunkist21
..(trim).. If it looked real enough to call the police I would say you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry and whatnot.

Just like the dead body found in the link below looked real enough?? For crying out loud.

The Front Row

It's amazing that the sheriff opened the coffin at all, as it could have been a bomb. :rolleyes:

If that Sherriff has had even 1/10 the amount of bomb threat training I have had, he knew it was safe to open.

Bombers risk thier own lives to manufacture bombs. They want the greatest return on investment to kill/harm as many people and damage/destroy as much property as possible.

Even the recent park bomber in California put his bombs in high traffic areas.

If there is ever a bomb placed in a cache, it will be easy to catch the cacher that did it and it will be a 1 off occurance not likely ever to be repeated.

I was kidding.

Although in the past caches have been blown up in remote areas under the guise of it being a possible practice bomb.

Im in early childhood education, i know everything about children. There is no need for you to be judging on how i dress. you dont even know me.

The entire situation seems like a misunderstanding, to a certain degree. It appears as though you were doing what you deemed "the right thing" and it was poorly reported. Miscommunication happens, poor reporting happens, and life goes on. We all have our own idea of what is acceptable, funny, scary, etc... That's what keeps life interesting. IMO

Now, a statement like yours, quoted above, leaves little room for misunderstanding. While I think you are probably a very nice young lady, attractive, educated, well intentioned and pursuing a noble career, you can not truly believe that you know everything about children.

I have degrees in metallurgy, machine tool technology and mechanical engineering and have been working as a machinist and cnc programmer for 20+ years, but I don't know everything about machining, metal or engineering. I also have 3 kids, 2 are grown and had 4.0 GPA's through high school, maintained 3.6 and higher GPA's through college and are both in the military now. My youngest is a straight A student and in 5th grade. None of them have been in trouble with the law, nor had any real issues of any sort. They are all good kids who did what we all hope kids will do while growing up. I think that suffices as proof that I was a decent parent. But it wouldn't mean that I know everything about kids. It just means that I know enough to have been able to help guide them.

I am sure you know a-lot about children, and will do fine in life, but to claim you know everything about children is disingenuous and, quite honestly, impossible.

As I stated previously, you are an attractive young lady, but your lack of humility makes you appear less so. Just something to think about...

didnt mean it like that, i was implying that i know that children couldnt handle finding what looked to be decomposing fingers in a jar..

Don't be so sure. Kids eat boogers and play with some pretty gross stuff from time to time.

..(trim).. If it looked real enough to call the police I would say you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry and whatnot.

Just like the dead body found in the link below looked real enough?? For crying out loud.

The Front Row

It's amazing that the sheriff opened the coffin at all, as it could have been a bomb. :rolleyes:

If that Sherriff has had even 1/10 the amount of bomb threat training I have had, he knew it was safe to open.

Bombers risk thier own lives to manufacture bombs. They want the greatest return on investment to kill/harm as many people and damage/destroy as much property as possible.

Even the recent park bomber in California put his bombs in high traffic areas.

If there is ever a bomb placed in a cache, it will be easy to catch the cacher that did it and it will be a 1 off occurance not likely ever to be repeated.

I was kidding.

Although in the past caches have been blown up in remote areas under the guise of it being a possible practice bomb.

If the bomb squad shows up, they're gonna blow up the cache for practice as well. :anibad:

"It’s not the geocachers who did this. It’s probably some sick joke," Cogan said.

I will say this, I found a number of fake hands and foot caches. I always thought it was funny!

Seriously, I think it was a geocacher that did it. Some cachers got some dark sense of humor. :ph34r:

but when theres needles and pins stuck in decomposing fingers... i dont think would be good for a kid to find. I just dont think thats funny at all.

after I look at your profile and I dont think that picture of you is really for kids to see. :blink:

Are you serious? How off-topic can you go? besides she is dressed fine. Anyway, that was a sick joke on someone's part.

two things: First, I can't believe you actually called the police. You could have very easily determined yourself if it was fake or not....sense of smell maybe? poke it with a stick?

Second, to be 21 years old and claim you know everything about children is laughable, why? You have a degree? My wife is a elementary school teacher who is nationally board certified and has her masters degree. She has been teaching for 10 years, does she know everything about children? She would be the first to say no. Please get a grip with reality

ur misunderstanding my point.. im saying, what adult in their right mind would want their child to see that? && if it looked like decomposing flesh, would u open it? dnt think so.

Edited by sunkist21

two things: First, I can't believe you actually called the police. You could have very easily determined yourself if it was fake or not....sense of smell maybe? poke it with a stick?

Second, to be 21 years old and claim you know everything about children is laughable, why? You have a degree? My wife is a elementary school teacher who is nationally board certified and has her masters degree. She has been teaching for 10 years, does she know everything about children? She would be the first to say no. Please get a grip with reality

ur misunderstanding my point.. im saying, what adult in their right mind would want their child to see that? && if it looked like decomposing flesh, would u open it? dnt think so.

Having not seen it with my own eyes, I can't say. I find it odd that others can so easily pass judgement without seeing it for themselves.

ur misunderstanding my point.. im saying, what adult in their right mind would want their child to see that? && if it looked like decomposing flesh, would u open it and smell it? dnt think so.

Having not seen it with my own eyes, I can't say. I find it odd that others can so easily pass judgement without seeing it for themselves.

Believe me, i worked in halloween stores, nothing scares me... but this creeped me the eff out. and i had to call the police.. it just wasnt normal.

Im in early childhood education, i know everything about children. There is no need for you to be judging on how i dress. you dont even know me.

The entire situation seems like a misunderstanding, to a certain degree. It appears as though you were doing what you deemed "the right thing" and it was poorly reported. Miscommunication happens, poor reporting happens, and life goes on. We all have our own idea of what is acceptable, funny, scary, etc... That's what keeps life interesting. IMO

Now, a statement like yours, quoted above, leaves little room for misunderstanding. While I think you are probably a very nice young lady, attractive, educated, well intentioned and pursuing a noble career, you can not truly believe that you know everything about children.

I have degrees in metallurgy, machine tool technology and mechanical engineering and have been working as a machinist and cnc programmer for 20+ years, but I don't know everything about machining, metal or engineering. I also have 3 kids, 2 are grown and had 4.0 GPA's through high school, maintained 3.6 and higher GPA's through college and are both in the military now. My youngest is a straight A student and in 5th grade. None of them have been in trouble with the law, nor had any real issues of any sort. They are all good kids who did what we all hope kids will do while growing up. I think that suffices as proof that I was a decent parent. But it wouldn't mean that I know everything about kids. It just means that I know enough to have been able to help guide them.

I am sure you know a-lot about children, and will do fine in life, but to claim you know everything about children is disingenuous and, quite honestly, impossible.

As I stated previously, you are an attractive young lady, but your lack of humility makes you appear less so. Just something to think about...

didnt mean it like that, i was implying that i know that children couldnt handle finding what looked to be decomposing fingers in a jar..

Don't be so sure. Kids eat boogers and play with some pretty gross stuff from time to time.

boogers, here and there is fine. were talking about DECOMPOSING FLESH here. i wouldnt never let my children play with severed fingers and toungues , but thats just me.

you called the police for a jar with a rubber finder and tongue in it... are you serious?????

Okay, just to clear this up for everyone, heres my side of the story, since IM the one who found it, and IM the one who called the police.. When your a geocacher, u go out for the fun, and u go out to find a jar full of trinkets... i would understand if the caches name was "halloween cache" so that people would undestand you might find something creepy.. but this cache was nature cache.. in a tree... i would have never expected to find a jar full of dark red solution with what looked to be a tounge and fingers stuck with about 100 pins in them, with a face of a kids picture pinned to the tounge... you could even see the fingernail.. what looked to be the fingers were decaying, there was stuff floating all around the inside of the jar... and there was a second jar, which looked to me to be a penis wrapped with string..now what id like to know, is what person in their right mind would open the jar to smell it when it could possibly be a murder case? i didnt want to put my fingerprints on that! So I called the cops immediately. They needed to know about this.. and when the cop showed up, at first they were joking but the second he saw the jar he even thought it was real and called his sargent.. and seeing as they found a head in the woods a week back, they thought i had found the rest of the body. They told me it was possibly gang related because of the kids picture in it but who knows... im just thanking god that it was me who found it and not some little kid. I contacted the owner of the cache (MGBmusic) and its temporarily shut down for now..

Take a look through the stores that sell Halloween stuff. Geez.

Dealt with, over, local problem, move on.

Nah, this one has the potential to go all Alien Head Cache Impact Can Be Seen From Space. It could get entertaining. Especially when those against say that these caches and the folks that like them are hurting geocaching's image. :anibad::laughing:

lol - you funny! hahahahaha

Okay, just to clear this up for everyone, heres my side of the story, since IM the one who found it, and IM the one who called the police.. When your a geocacher, u go out for the fun, and u go out to find a jar full of trinkets... i would understand if the caches name was "halloween cache" so that people would undestand you might find something creepy.. but this cache was nature cache.. in a tree... i would have never expected to find a jar full of dark red solution with what looked to be a tounge and fingers stuck with about 100 pins in them, with a face of a kids picture pinned to the tounge... you could even see the fingernail.. what looked to be the fingers were decaying, there was stuff floating all around the inside of the jar... and there was a second jar, which looked to me to be a penis wrapped with string..now what id like to know, is what person in their right mind would open the jar to smell it when it could possibly be a murder case? i didnt want to put my fingerprints on that! So I called the cops immediately. They needed to know about this.. and when the cop showed up, at first they were joking but the second he saw the jar he even thought it was real and called his sargent.. and seeing as they found a head in the woods a week back, they thought i had found the rest of the body. They told me it was possibly gang related because of the kids picture in it but who knows... im just thanking god that it was me who found it and not some little kid. I contacted the owner of the cache (MGBmusic) and its temporarily shut down for now..as for me saying i know everything about children, i was implying that in my best judgement, i would not want any of my children to find this kind of thing. it could scar them for life.

Okay, just to clear this up for everyone, heres my side of the story, since IM the one who found it, and IM the one who called the police.. When your a geocacher, u go out for the fun, and u go out to find a jar full of trinkets... i would understand if the caches name was "halloween cache" so that people would undestand you might find something creepy.. but this cache was nature cache.. in a tree... i would have never expected to find a jar full of dark red solution with what looked to be a tounge and fingers stuck with about 100 pins in them, with a face of a kids picture pinned to the tounge... you could even see the fingernail!! what looked to be the fingers were decaying, there was stuff floating all around the inside of the jar... and there was a second jar, which lookede to me to be a penis wrapped with string..now what id like to know, is what person in their right mind would open the jar to smell it when it could possibly be a murder case? i didnt want to put my fingerprints on that! So I called the cops immediately. They needed to know about this.. and when the cop showed up, at first they were joking but the second he saw the jar he even thought it was real and called his sargent.. and seeing as they found a head in the woods a week back, they thought i had found the rest of the body. They told me it was possibly gang related because of the kids picture in it but who knows... im just thanking god that it was me who found it and not some little kid.

http://www.chicagotr...0,1174320.story

Reading this, I agree with your decision to call the police.

boogers, here and there is fine. were talking about DECOMPOSING FLESH here. i wouldnt never let my children play with severed fingers and toungues , but thats just me.

Gotta prepare them for the zombie apocalypse somehow.

Just my .02 worth, it's over now. You know what it is now. And you even said you don't think geocachers put it there. So, relax. It's all good. ;)

thank you. at least someone agrees with me.

thank you. at least someone agrees with me.

Hey, what am I? Chopped liver?

everything eh? wow

Okay, just to clear this up for everyone, heres my side of the story, since IM the one who found it, and IM the one who called the police.. When your a geocacher, u go out for the fun, and u go out to find a jar full of trinkets... i would understand if the caches name was "halloween cache" so that people would undestand you might find something creepy.. but this cache was nature cache.. in a tree... i would have never expected to find a jar full of dark red solution with what looked to be a tounge and fingers stuck with about 100 pins in them, with a face of a kids picture pinned to the tounge... you could even see the fingernail.. what looked to be the fingers were decaying, there was stuff floating all around the inside of the jar... and there was a second jar, which looked to me to be a penis wrapped with string..now what id like to know, is what person in their right mind would open the jar to smell it when it could possibly be a murder case? i didnt want to put my fingerprints on that! So I called the cops immediately. They needed to know about this.. and when the cop showed up, at first they were joking but the second he saw the jar he even thought it was real and called his sargent.. and seeing as they found a head in the woods a week back, they thought i had found the rest of the body. They told me it was possibly gang related because of the kids picture in it but who knows... im just thanking god that it was me who found it and not some little kid. I contacted the owner of the cache (MGBmusic) and its temporarily shut down for now..

Setting aside spelling and punctuation, as a cacher in the area I wanted to clarify that this was not part of the cache nor appears to have been placed there by the CO.

I am also not sure of the what the purpose of the title of the thread is for. I understand calling it in, but what are the rest of us suppose to "BEWARE".

Edited by baloo&bd

Gotta prepare them for the zombie apocalypse somehow.

Just my .02 worth, it's over now. You know what it is now. And you even said you don't think geocachers put it there. So, relax. It's all good. ;)

trust me, im a lot more calm now that i know it was rubber.

"Its not the geocachers who did this. Its probably some sick joke," Cogan said.

I will say this, I found a number of fake hands and foot caches. I always thought it was funny!

Seriously, I think it was a geocacher that did it. Some cachers got some dark sense of humor. :ph34r:

but when theres needles and pins stuck in decomposing fingers... i dont think would be good for a kid to find. I just dont think thats funny at all.

after I look at your profile and I dont think that picture of you is really for kids to see. :blink:

Are you serious? How off-topic can you go? besides she is dressed fine. Anyway, that was a sick joke on someone's part.

thank you. i dont see how you can judge me on how i dress when you dont even know me.

Edited by sunkist21

everything eh? wow

Setting aside spelling and punctuation, as a cacher in the area I wanted to clarify that this was not part of the cache nor appears to have been placed there by the CO.

I am also not sure of the what the purpose of the title of the thread is for. I understand calling it in, but what are the rest of us suppose to "BEWARE".

I just wanted to get the word out there to the cachers in the area to be careful. The police are finding things in these woods that arent right..and NO, this was not the cache that was supposed to be found. the owner had NOTHING to do with this

Edited by sunkist21

Police, and cachers and dog-walkers and hikers and campers, have been finding "things" in the woods that aren't "right" for quite some time now.

Alerting people on a world-wide, scale AFTER the fact, about an incident that has been reported and dealt with locally, is a bit of an exercise in futility.

Can we let this drama die down now?

Im in early childhood education, im a straight A student, and there is no need for you to be judging on how i dress. you dont even know me.

When I was a young man with body piercings and tattoos I was judged because of my looks. I never was a great student but I do have a degree in Police Science. :ph34r: I'm also a parent, but I was wild as a outhouse rat growing up and will never live long enough to outlive the bad reputation that I gained because of my looks and actions when I was in my 20's. :P Still I have very few regrets and I may not be as quick to judge others. Some of the Bikers that I know that could not get a public job have been the most sucessful in running their own businesses, and they hire people just like themselves. One local Pastor of a BIG church is a Biker and so are most of it's members. They give more than most to the community and ask for nothing in return. Judge not least ye be judged. B)

"It’s not the geocachers who did this. It’s probably some sick joke," Cogan said.

thank you.. idk what everyones ragging on me for doing the right thing

Im in early childhood education, im a straight A student, and there is no need for you to be judging on how i dress. you dont even know me.

When I was a young man with body piercings and tattoos I was judged because of my looks. I never was a great student but I do have a degree in Police Science. :ph34r: I'm also a parent, but I was wild as a outhouse rat growing up and will never live long enough to outlive the bad reputation that I gained because of my looks and actions when I was in my 20's. :P Still I have very few regrets and I may not be as quick to judge others. Some of the Bikers that I know that could not get a public job have been the most sucessful in running their own businesses, and they hire people just like themselves. One local Pastor of a BIG church is a Biker and so are most of it's members. They give more than most to the community and ask for nothing in return. Judge not least ye be judged. B)

Cool!

"It's not the geocachers who did this. It's probably some sick joke," Cogan said.

Are you serious? How off-topic can you go?

I agree... that was wayyy over the top! First of all, what is the point of judging the OP in the first place? But judging her because of a profile picture? :mad: Sorry, SwineFlew, but you deserve to be called on a comment like that.

im glad it was found by cachers and not just blamed on us. this article did a nice job making sure to let everyone know that this is not part of the game.

you should have seen the first article they wrote about this... I had to call them back and set the story straight because im the one who found the jar!!! they completely blamed the geocachers!!! ... and since im a geocacher, i said there was no way it was put there by a geocacher because this is family oriented and we have little kids doing this!

well im glad you did that then.

everything eh? wow

i just want to get the word out to people and their parents to be cautious in the area. u never know what else they can find.

Edited by sunkist21
"It's not the geocachers who did this. It's probably some sick joke," Cogan said.

I agree... that was wayyy over the top! First of all, what is the point of judging the OP in the first place? But judging her because of a profile picture? :mad: Sorry, SwineFlew, but you deserve to be called on a comment like that.

The pig man was just flirting.... that is how pigs flirt! no?

The pig man was just flirting.... that is how pigs flirt! no?

NO.

thanks everyone, i appreciate it.. i was just trying to to the right thing here and get the word out..

Mission accomplished. Now let's all retire to the OT lounge for beers and donuts.

{quoted material removed by moderator}

Baffled. I'm gobsmacked and baffled.

And you say you're a teacher of young children?

Read the Forum Guidelines:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Please remember that this is a public venue read by many people of all ages, from around the world, spanning all walks of life.

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

Edited by Keystone
potty language and off topic material

You did the right thing. The scenario sounds worse than initially imagined. It may have been a teenager playing a prank on other cachers. Which cache was it?

It occurred to me that this could (emphasis could) have been a prank by another cacher (not the owner of the listed cache, presumably), or possibly a prank by a non-cacher who had stumbled on the cache and decided it would be fun to freak out the local cachers.

sunkist21, about how far away from the actual cache was this jar of Halloween horrors?

--Larry.

{quoted material removed by moderator}

Baffled. I'm gobsmacked and baffled.

And you say you're a teacher of young children?

Read the Forum Guidelines:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Please remember that this is a public venue read by many people of all ages, from around the world, spanning all walks of life.

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

WOWWWWWWWW! why r u turning this into such a big deal.. YES i am an early childhood education teacher. i work with 2 and 3 year olds.. but u think i speak to them that way? no.. as u can see, i blocked out the word with stars. im sure a child doesnt know what BLOWING trees is.. so please. take ur BS elsewhere. no 1 wants to hear it.

Let's focus upon the geocaching issue rather than criticizing the person who brought it to our attention. Thanks.

Thank you, im just trying to get the word out there..

You've done that. Repeatedly.

We get it already.

if its bothering you so much... STOP READING THIS FORUM

Thank you to Pup Patrol for correctly noting the applicable forum guideline.

Relying on the forum's potty language filters, or substituting the "stars" yourself, is considered the equivalent of using the potty language.

I think the word has gotten out sufficiently, so in light of the moderating issues occasioned by this thread, I am closing it.