Oldest caches

Ms.Blonde

I didn't realize that there were only 3 caches left from August 2000. Thats going to be a hard month to cross off the Jasmer Challenge if I ever get serious about it.

Great point.

Looks like Lake Lanier is going to be the only realistic one for me, being 45 minutes outside of Atlanta. The other two are relatively remote.

Please be aware that #22 on the that list (Castle) is archived and not active.

I see also that http://coord.info/GC184 in NW Pennsylvania is not listed. There's a minor controversy with that one, and it doesn't show up on some oldest caches lists, as it was PLACED 9/21/00, but not listed on Geocaching.com until February 2001.

There's also the controversy that what many people consider the oldest active cache in Ohio, the cache owner obviously fat-fingered the placed date as 1/23/01, and it was actually 12/23/01. But being a 2001 placement, that isn't on Firenice's list anyways.

In reality, it's actually the 38th oldest active cache in Ohio. That hasn't stopped 72 people from bookmarking it, or people making pilgrimages to it. :lol:

Edit to change NE Pa. to NW Pa. I probably would have heard about that one.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I have a few fixes .. thanks for keeping me up to date. On my next update I will fix the errors.

I went through one GC code at a time, and listed them based on the year 2000, and earliest GC codes. A few are just not there. for various reasons. I included a few I should not have that were archived, and missed a few, that i plan on adding.

There are so many that were placed earlier, and submitted later. I may place Some at the end pointing them out. But I think the original GC codes, and approximate published dates are what I will use. If they were placed in Nov, Dec, etc and published mid January to later I did not include them.

I have been torn on GCBBA. I have kept it because it appears Jeremy adopted it out. The way he did that was to archive it and create another. Plus I do not want people storming my house and waterboarding me. :laughing: They consider it the oldest cache. However part of me would say it is GCA6. The oldest continual GC coded cache.

The GC184 it may have been dropped earlier, but it did not receive its GC code until into February. That was just too late for me to include it. There are a few like that, though not many that extreme. However I just decided that no one could find it in 2000, and no cache page was put together in 2000 so I did not include it or a few others. Those that were placed in 2000 and published in the first few weeks of 2001 I included.

(there was some method to my madness)

For those looking for Jasmer challenge, we have an annual camping event at GC3B Potters Ponds every year in August. This coming august will be our 11th annual event there. You can drive to the cache site in a car. Ask before you come. One road that GPS units route you on is rough on an ATV. So plan ahead. I hiked the last .3 miles (easy hike) with 5 cachers, four of them finishing their Jasmer Challenge there from San Francisco, and Washington state.

GC3B Potters Ponds every year in August. This coming august will be our 11th annual event there. You can drive to the cache site in a car. Ask before you come. One road that GPS units route you on is rough on an ATV.

I drove that road in a Infinity Q45 that National Car upgraded me too. It was an interesting ride to say the least. :)

I didn't realize that there were only 3 caches left from August 2000. Thats going to be a hard month to cross off the Jasmer Challenge if I ever get serious about it.

Yeah, the other thing I noticed is the #2 oldest geocache in the world is within an hour of the original tribute plaque. If anything happens to Mingo I see what the new triad will be. :laughing:

I have been torn on GCBBA. I have kept it because it appears Jeremy adopted it out. The way he did that was to archive it and create another. Plus I do not want people storming my house and waterboarding me. :laughing: They consider it the oldest cache. However part of me would say it is GCA6. The oldest continual GC coded cache.

The GC184 it may have been dropped earlier, but it did not receive its GC code until into February. That was just too late for me to include it. There are a few like that, though not many that extreme. However I just decided that no one could find it in 2000, and no cache page was put together in 2000 so I did not include it or a few others. Those that were placed in 2000 and published in the first few weeks of 2001 I included.

(there was some method to my madness)

Yes, a new cache page and GC code were made for Canada's first cache, GCBBA (formerly GC41) about a year after it's placement. I'd consider that a "minor" controversy. And yes, you'd probably get water boarded, considering a gravestone-type monument has been erected nearby commemorating Canada's first cache. :lol:

OK, I'll go with the method to your madness. Although GC184 was listed on the internet from day one, it was reported in a visit log on the degree confluence project. Just no one read it, and looked for the cache. Additionally, Geocaching.com only "took over" the cache listings from Mike Teague 2 weeks before the cache was placed. The cache co-owners might not have even heard of it. They're still around, as they attended the 10th anniversary event for their cache, they could probably answer all these questions themselves if asked. :)

GC3B Potters Ponds every year in August. This coming august will be our 11th annual event there. You can drive to the cache site in a car. Ask before you come. One road that GPS units route you on is rough on an ATV.

I drove that road in a Infinity Q45 that National Car upgraded me too. It was an interesting ride to say the least. :)

Yes some friends, my sister and I were up there this year. It was a blast, including watching Jacob walking through water in one of the ponds to help us find his cache. It was so beautiful up there.

Did I miss something? You can drive to the campsite but to the GZ? Where was I? We went (yes) via Ninja cache and boy that was a work out. But still doable for most.

Oh yes firenice it was me and my sister that was camped across from you.

Edited by jellis