HTM for cache listings - free editor?

cache_n_out

any suggested free html creator software

I've used IBM Top Page for years, when I need a quick bit of clean code for a simple HTML page. Unlike everyone else in the world, I never remember if it's "forward-slash, bracket, brace" or "brace, forward-slash, bracket", miscount my nested tags, and can't convert onscreen colors to hex code. I can't even tell how text will flow in a table until I see it in action. Unbelievable, I know.

Top Page is freeware now, and they're up to version 6. I don't have a link, since the one I found didn't download. But you can google it. It's in no way a fancy program, but it sure beats coding a page by hand. It's most useful if you have a bit of badly formed code, and need it cleaned up quick.

I usually type up a page how I like, then switch to "source" and copy everything between "body" tags, to paste into the cache page. Unlike the GC page, you can preview your changes as you make them, which can save a lot of time.

Edited by kunarion

The html that is allowed on a cache page is so minimal that you are probably best off just coding it by hand. Almost any html generator is going to be a source of frustration when you try to paste the results in your cache page.

Yep, that's where I'm heading unless I get a lead on some software....

You're almost certainly going to get better control over what you need on the page if you hand code - use notepad or similar if you need to have it typed up somewhere else and then simply copy in from there. Plain text and hand coded is the easiest way to drop html into something like cache pages if you need to c&p (or any forum post or cache log for that matter).

Any other editor you can get will probably end up rendering stuff a buit differently anyway - the width of cache sections, for example, plays a role in how stuff renders.

Edited by Blue Square Thing

The html that is allowed on a cache page is so minimal that you are probably best off just coding it by hand. Almost any html generator is going to be a source of frustration when you try to paste the results in your cache page.

Yep, that's where I'm heading unless I get a lead on some software....

I've always used nvu with no problems :)

Edited by keehotee