SUBMITTED (32054) - [BUG] Forum Avatar

puczmeloun

Oh, not again. I just fixed that.

Now what do we have to do to make our avatars look right both here in the forums and over on the cache pages?

Then please stop changing it.

EDIT: So I see they're displaying the smaller 48x48 avatar in the forums, then letting the browser scale it up to 75x75. Well of course that's going to be blurry.

Yet the system still keeps a larger 75x75 avatar somewhere. Here's mine, which I can reach through my edit-avatar page:

163482bd-6415-42d9-aaa4-05ad8da9b156.jpg

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Sigh. I was seeing the normal 75x75 avatar images. Then I thought that perhaps the forum skin was affecting the avatars, so I switched from the IP.Board skin to the (default) Geocaching skin. Sure enough, I saw the 48x48-resized-to-75x75 avatar images. (ick)

Unfortunately, when I switched back to the IP.Board skin, the avatar images didn't switch back. I still see the 48x48-resized-to-75x75 avatar images.

Groundspeak, please stop using the HTML height/width attributes to get browsers to resize the avatar images.

Ah, that's what's going on. The images have been resized to 48x48. But the ones in my browser cache are still 75x75, and they're all being displayed as 75x75.

Again, please stop using the HTML height/width attributes to get browsers to resize the avatar images. Scale the avatar images to the size you want to display them as.

ALSO... The avatar in the upper-right corner of every forum page is the 48-pixel image, scaled up to 50 pixels.

What did you gain with those extra two pixels?

I can only imagine how the software development process inside Groundspeak works...

IF they want 48x48 over there, they should let us do the scaling and just provide a spot like they do for the forum avatars and the profile pics. They might do better if the 50x50 was the size for GC and 75x75 for the forums. But if they are out to simply ruin avatars, they might as well do away with them... 75x75 is hard enough to get looking good. Will wait a bit and see what happens. Sometimes it's hard to do every thing at once. Scaling down from 75 was much better.

Doug 7rxc

IF they want 48x48 over there, they should let us do the scaling and just provide a spot like they do for the forum avatars and the profile pics. They might do better if the 50x50 was the size for GC and 75x75 for the forums. But if they are out to simply ruin avatars, they might as well do away with them... 75x75 is hard enough to get looking good. Will wait a bit and see what happens. Sometimes it's hard to do every thing at once. Scaling down from 75 was much better.

+1...

...but still no moun10bike response :(

EDIT: Thanks for response :D (can sb delete this post?)

Edited by puczmeloun

I have changed my avatar image into my profile. Browsing the GC site it is working well, here in the forum (post & the upper-right corner) I see again the older one even after many days. What can I do to fix it?

Tnx

Flavio

Edited by qq7
What did you gain with those extra two pixels?

Maybe changing the space that the icon occupies will break the layout? If that's so, even a difference of 2 pixels will look funny.

===========

1b5341b4-aab2-44da-9b01-d99f8d297f8a.jpg

That's better. Dragons may be warm, but they're not fuzzy.

Edited by kunarion
EDIT: So I see they're displaying the smaller 48x48 avatar in the forums, then letting the browser scale it up to 75x75. Well of course that's going to be blurry.

Yet the system still keeps a larger 75x75 avatar somewhere. Here's mine, which I can reach through my edit-avatar page:

I just read this post a little more carefully and decided to look a little deeper.

598c0637-72ea-48a5-aaac-e06b0754a595.jpg The 48 pixel icons (used on the cache pages) are stored here:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/(guid).jpg

598c0637-72ea-48a5-aaac-e06b0754a595.jpg The 75 pixel icons (that should be used for the forums) are stored here:

http://img.geocaching.com/user/display/(guid).jpg

Notice the subtle difference in the path: /avatar/ vs. /display/

It would be nice if the forums were configured to use the /display/ version.

Moun10bike, can you please add this info to the bug report?