owner log a find on own cache

skyye53

I feel like I am entering a shark pool but I would like to know if ANY cache owner has ever been permitted to log their own cache. I know some have and I also am aware that there seems to be an acceptance for EVENTS but has anyone ever thought that a cache owner ought to be GIVEN THE number just like any other cacher? I think that in all fairness, this should be permitted not based from the perspective of the high and mighty NUMBER attitude but that cache owners are GIVING back to the game and in fact if it were not for cache owners how could the game go on? Just sayin that it would be a great idea for the owner to be able to get THEIR NUMBER too because long after the races for FTF and all the folks who get their log and smiley, the cache owner can't get any numbers to their log but has to be vigilant to the cache, set maintenance runs and often replace logs, torn ziplock and cache containers long after the other folks have added and added to their numbers??? and the non cache owner geocacher does not have any EXTRA requirements on their finds or dare I say the shark food word; NUMBERS??? Cache owners have kept the game going by taking the time and effort and talent to give back so others can enjoy the game and have something to seek and find. So will someone let us know if a cache owner can claim a log/find on their own geocache without negativity but instead the acceptance that it is something that should be permitted ...afterall...it is a small thank you that most of us seldom get in place of the sltnln tftc or {:)] stuff. Otherwise in future there will be a lot of us that will not place hides ...gets too expensive to buy the things, drive to hide...etcetera

Anyway, I was afraid to raise this point and I hope that I will not regret asking the question: why can cache owners not claim the number for the hide they give...just sayin'

No sharks here. Just a bunch of clowns. And perhaps the occasional mime(they start the political threads). This is off topic. We get a little nuts around here but really try not to talk shop.

But to answer your question, no. The CO gets credit under the caches owned side. Like you. I see you have 110 cache hides to your credit. Try not to worry about the numbers. You'll have more fun that way.

I feel like I am entering a shark pool but I would like to know if ANY cache owner has ever been permitted to log their own cache.

I have a string of DNFs on a couple of mine. But who do I write to for a hint? The Cache Owner replied that he doesn't know where the cache is, so he's no help. He offered to drop by and search with me, but doesn't it seem like that could at the very least bend the space-time continuum, and pull the universe into the void?

Edited by kunarion

This will most likely get moved to the general forums, although we'll most likely give more more friendly answers here...

so, sure, you can get a point for any cache of your own that you log. It can be done. It just generally isn't. When you post a log, you're posting a "find." You can't "find" your own cache because you already know where it is. So physically, no, you can't find it. You can post a find on it, but you end up looking pretty foolish, because you can't "find" it.

As GOF pointed out, if you're counting points, it counts as a point toward a hide.

And also as GOF pointed out, you can have a lot more fun if you don't focus on numbers.

And, no matter how many finds you've got, if you make anyone mad on these forums they'll still call you a newbie anyway, so what's the point in putting yourself out just to add to your finds and look like a fool in the process?

Be patient. Your real "find" count will grow fast enough, and you'll feel good about those numbers knowing they're real, not trumped up.

I've seen a number of accounts where the counts weren't real. Those accounts all ended up getting abandoned before long. It takes the fun out of it to have trumped up numbers. Keep it real.

IBTM

I can understand your desire to hide from the general forum, but your question really is Geocaching related and should be posted there. Don't worry about getting flamed... that generally only happens when somebody comes roaring in with a massage ego and attitude, and I think it is pretty clear that you don't fit that profile.

Event owners can, do, and should log an attended on their own events. See my signature for a funny view on how most of us see cache owners that log finds on their own caches.

No sharks here. Just a bunch of clowns. And perhaps the occasional mime(they start the political threads). This is off topic. We get a little nuts around here but really try not to talk shop.

But to answer your question, no. The CO gets credit under the caches owned side. Like you. I see you have 110 cache hides to your credit. Try not to worry about the numbers. You'll have more fun that way.

You sound great...thanks for not biting me...hee hee hee

I don't see an issue with entering the shark pool, as long as the trap door is kept in good condition. I'm beginning to run out of mortal enemies, though, which means I'll soon have to go with bait fish and an occasional cousin.

What a great reply

wish you lived in my geocaching area...would adore having you in the tank! SWIM ON MATEY and thanks for the great response...JOY redeemed

Cheers

You sound great...thanks for not biting me...hee hee hee

You might lighten up on the shift key or caps lock. We do have a sense of humor over here (well, most of the time) but your initial post was a little noisy.

Before this gets moved to an appropriate location, I'll add my answer to your question: I can't "find" what I placed. Part of finding a cache is not knowing where it is when you start searching for it (leaving out the examples of caches that you placed that other people move, some of us have stories)

I can understand your desire to hide from the general forum, but your question really is Geocaching related and should be posted there. Don't worry about getting flamed... that generally only happens when somebody comes roaring in with a massage ego and attitude, and I think it is pretty clear that you don't fit that profile.

Event owners can, do, and should log an attended on their own events. See my signature for a funny view on how most of us see cache owners that log finds on their own caches.

too funny

thanks for making my FIRST forum post memorable...and not gonna go to geocache blog- that would like sticking pins in my eyes and having to pretend I liked it

caio for now

This will most likely get moved to the general forums, although we'll most likely give more more friendly answers here...

so, sure, you can get a point for any cache of your own that you log. It can be done. It just generally isn't. When you post a log, you're posting a "find." You can't "find" your own cache because you already know where it is. So physically, no, you can't find it. You can post a find on it, but you end up looking pretty foolish, because you can't "find" it.

As GOF pointed out, if you're counting points, it counts as a point toward a hide.

And also as GOF pointed out, you can have a lot more fun if you don't focus on numbers.

And, no matter how many finds you've got, if you make anyone mad on these forums they'll still call you a newbie anyway, so what's the point in putting yourself out just to add to your finds and look like a fool in the process?

Be patient. Your real "find" count will grow fast enough, and you'll feel good about those numbers knowing they're real, not trumped up.

I've seen a number of accounts where the counts weren't real. Those accounts all ended up getting abandoned before long. It takes the fun out of it to have trumped up numbers. Keep it real.

IBTM

awesome...

now I think I shall go and pour a double neat

caio

too funny

thanks for making my FIRST forum post memorable...and not gonna go to geocache blog- that would like sticking pins in my eyes and having to pretend I liked it

caio for now

forgot to say- entered this spot because it appeared friendly- i do not consider the geocaching site friendly per se- all too many hard core very serious and competitive folks scares the geo doo doo so i shall just mosseeee along and try to be more newbie...heeheehee

IBTM

awesome...

caio

I hope you have enough for everyone.

thanks everyone

you are perhaps the neatest folks i have met in the geocaching universe

take care

thanks for being kind and also for your fabulous sense of humour

fantastic! :laughing:

We're not usually that nice, but we know that you have important connections!

d6486e69-baef-460a-b776-aaec4211838c.jpg

oh I am chuckling at your expertise and oh my what fun you have given me this evening

now I must go

Cardinals just hit a home run to move 2-1

yes, sadly, world series does distract me from the 'other' game

take care all

and happy trails and I will send my best on your behalf to my 'connection'

lol lol lol

Serious questions for the OP. I dont know the answer. Ive never really thought it through, I wonder how signing your own cache would even work:

Will you sign the physical log? What date do you put down as the date found?

What date do you put online? What do you type in the Found It log?

What do you do about people who claim FTF on those caches?

What will the reaction be from people watching your caches, when your log arrives in email?

Will you also log archived caches?

And of course you can anyway. If it turns out theres a problem with stats or GSAK or PQs or something, you can simply delete the Found It log later.

You should hang out here in OT. You seem to have a great sense of humor unlike the other sticks-in-the-mud around here.

Edited by kunarion

IBTM

awesome...

caio

Yeah, this is important.

If you come into "off topic" with food or drink, you've got to share. Doesn't it say that pinned at the top in the "welcome to off-topic" thread????

Yeah, and bring donuts.

too funny

ciao for now

forgot to say- entered this spot because it appeared friendly- i do not consider the geocaching site friendly per se- all too many hard core very serious and competitive folks scares the geo doo doo so i shall just mosseeee along and try to be more newbie...heeheehee

You can log finds on your own caches, just the same as you can reply to your own posts.

I only log finds on my caches with my 42 sock puppets however.

too funny

ciao for now

You can log finds on your own caches, just the same as you can reply to your own posts.

Good point there, buckaroo!!

too funny

ciao for now

Good point there, buckaroo!!

Forgot to use one of your sock puppets? :ph34r:

IBTM

awesome...

caio

Yeah, this is important.

If you come into "off topic" with food or drink, you've got to share. Doesn't it say that pinned at the top in the "welcome to off-topic" thread????

Yeah, and bring donuts.

Unless you're Torry. :anibad:

Amazingly, I stumbled across a sign just the other day that I think goes straight to the heart of this matter. Glad I decided to stop and snap a pic!

871b53d3-820d-47f8-9c72-cab7910f4775.jpg

you are the best

I actually think I found a cache in Carolina like that for the exception of the signage...it read don't ham it up!

HEE HEE HEE

IBTM

awesome...

caio

Yeah, this is important.

Yeah, and bring donuts.

Unless you're Torry. :anibad:

thanks folks for the info and the next time i get on this interesting 'thread' i'll try to post some interesting ta=PASTRY" to the rug i am laying myself out on...until the next time- keep me in the loop cuz the big guys of the forum of Groundspeak would hang anyone who does not play by THEIR rules or rites or passage..omg...

cheers for now

CARDINALS WON IN OVERTIME! WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Amazingly, I stumbled across a sign just the other day that I think goes straight to the heart of this matter. Glad I decided to stop and snap a pic!

Dog has a new toy. :laughing:

96214ff3-cee3-404d-bcc6-9be7a6127ae6.jpg

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how i wish i knew how to create such wonderful FUN

you have made this night a night to remember and the fabulous folks that DO exist out there to ENHANCE the game

cheers to you and thanks for your talent and creativity that added to my cold wintry night here

caio for now

well after a night of good humour and sensibilities of fun and frivolity it is time to move along to the outside world

thank you to all who replied and posted the topics and photo enhancements( I'm lucky if i can upload a smiley face!!!)

but i am really newbie to these things so i am gonna move along and see what else is out there to stumble across

i shall remember you all- you sure sound like a great bunch of folks

god bless you all or may your deity of choice provide you with the food i could not...lol lol lol

take care and enjoy the game- after all it was a game------wasn't it????????????????

bye from Kingston, Ontario CANADA

That raises an important question, one that I have often pondered:

What are those pigs (and all pigs on BBQ signs) so happy about? Are they smiling because it's not THEM that's on the plate? Don't they know that they're next?

I would like to know if ANY cache owner has ever been permitted to log their own cache.
Every cache owner has the ability and authority to log his/her own cache. There is no guideline that states that they cannot do this and many cache owners have logged finds to their own caches. Many people believe that cache owners shouldn't log such finds, but the practice is not verboten.

Guess you took this picture on a windy day.

You lost two of your letters there.

I hate it when that happens.

and right before you snapped the shot too!!! :mad:

I would like to know if ANY cache owner has ever been permitted to log their own cache.
Every cache owner has the ability and authority to log his/her own cache. There is no guideline that states that they cannot do this and many cache owners have logged finds to their own caches. Many people believe that cache owners shouldn't log such finds, but the practice is not verboten.

Some cache finders will move a hide's location (accidentally or to what they claim is a better location) and then the DNF logs start. Then it's the cache owners obligation to find the missing cache and reset it at it's original location. Sounds like a find to me (unless it isn't found and had to be replaced, or the cache owner just updates the co-ords without finding it).

Some cache finders will move a hide's location (accidentally or to what they claim is a better location) and then the DNF logs start. Then it's the cache owners obligation to find the missing cache and reset it at it's original location. Sounds like a find to me (unless it isn't found and had to be replaced, or the cache owner just updates the co-ords without finding it).

Sounds like owner maintenance to me.