International Puzzle Cache?

CACAHUETES

Multi caches yes. Puzzle caches not so much. The Guidelines state that the fictitious coordinates on the Listing must be within a couple of miles of actual cache location, presumably to keep the Trackiables mileage relatively accurate. No such restrictions apply to Multis for some reason.

I suspect that there would be fewer Finds on such a cache page that requires a great deal of traveling.

I've seen puzzle caches done as a pair where if one solves one there are caches in, for example, New York and California one can find. I've also seen puzzles which involved looking at locations on Google earth in various places in the world to obtain the coordinates.

All most all of the puzzle caches that I have solved (probably somewhere around 150) were solvable from home so I really doesn't matter where the actual puzzle is located. I've solved quite a few that were in locations that I may never visit. Generally I don't care for puzzle caches that one must solve in the field. When I do find to get out and go geocaching I prefer to spend that time actually searching for caches rather than solving a puzzle.

Multi caches yes. Puzzle caches not so much. The Guidelines state that the fictitious coordinates on the Listing must be within a couple of miles of actual cache location, presumably to keep the Trackiables mileage relatively accurate. No such restrictions apply to Multis for some reason.

I suspect that there would be fewer Finds on such a cache page that requires a great deal of traveling.

We solved this cache a couple of years ago. It isn't quite what you mean but was good fun any way - GCJDVM The Mountie always gets his dragon.

This (GCWQCR Mick Tucker Trbute) is our longest multi stage with about 100 miles between the first 2 stages. In the UK distances aren't so great as in other countries but it was still a challenge.

The Guidelines state that the fictitious coordinates on the Listing must be within a couple of miles of actual cache location

Really?

2. Puzzle Caches

The information needed to solve a puzzle cache (sometimes called a mystery cache) must be available to the general community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a nearby parking location. The posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the appropriate vicinity searches and keeps the mileage of Trackables that pass through the cache reasonably accurate.

Give as detailed information as possible to the reviewer when you submit the cache. Report the coordinates for the actual cache location and use the "Additional Waypoints" feature to input any other relevant stages or clues.

Stage one of http://coord.info/GC10AKW is in California, while stage 2 is in Rhode Island.

Stage one of http://coord.info/GC10ARB is in Rhode Island, and stage 2 is in California.

The idea is after you find stage 1, you contact someone in the other state that has found stage 1 of the other cache, and trade stage 2 coords. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and even made a friend in another state.

I'm sure something like this could be done internationally, as well.

Edited by Lil Devil

All most all of the puzzle caches that I have solved (probably somewhere around 150) were solvable from home so I really doesn't matter where the actual puzzle is located. I've solved quite a few that were in locations that I may never visit. Generally I don't care for puzzle caches that one must solve in the field. When I do find to get out and go geocaching I prefer to spend that time actually searching for caches rather than solving a puzzle.

It can still be the case that the puzzle leads you to Stage 1 and Stage 1 leads you to Stage 2 and Stage 1 and Stage 2 are not close to each other. There is no rule that a mystery cache only has a single stage.

All my mystery caches do have a multi stage character though the distance between the stages is not that large, but not within 2 miles of each other. As the mystery type is the catch all type, it is the only cache type that fits if a puzzle has to be solved to obtain the starting coordinates, but later on the cache is like a multi cache.

This cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb899663-d213-4955-bcf9-17f38c8ea41d

was linked with this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a70472fe-0729-4476-aa5b-98fc8577509f

The two caches were linked together in a multiple, somehow interactive way. I managed however to do the one in Graz alone. (I could also have completed the one in Linz, but have not been there when the cache existed.)

Of course a similar project could be done also on an international scale.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne