Difficult geocache placement

Rick Bross

Hey, so I am wanting to place this cache that I have built. Its a water draining type cache. I have permission to place it from parks and rec. I will be concreting this into the ground, and building a french bed under it for drainage. But I'm scared that if I concrete it in it will not get published and I will have to move it. Any solutions? I need to know 100% that it will be accepted before I waste the labor and resources.

First of all the fact that you will be digging into the ground to place it will probably prevent it from being published. There is no digging allowed for caches. Even if it has permission from the land owners. But you can certainly consult your local reviewer about it.

Check the caches near you and go to the bottom of the logs and see who published it. That will be your reviewer to contact. You can give them the info about the cache and they can check to see if the distance issue is good and let you know if your cache will be permitted based on what your intending to build.

Agreed with the above, contact your reviewer. But I can't see how that would get approved based on current guidelines. I'm amazed your local park and rec office approved concreting anything in a park.

Altering land or other property of others (especially public property) is a no-no.

Digging is a cardinal no-no as far as geocaching goes. Yes, some do it, but they don't know the guidelines, or care about them -- one or the other.

There is the occasional exception BUT, you must pass it by the reviewer first. If not, you are doomed to failure.

If you do it w/o the reviewers knowledge, you will again be doomed to failure. (S)he WILL find out about it -- that part is inevitable.

If the parks and rec officials have reviewed and approved your plans, then you are good to go.

It is a little-known secret that caches involving digging CAN be approved if the landowner gives explicit permission to do so.

You will need to provide phone numbers and eMail addresses of the persons in charge of the property in question.

A cache like this is not likely to be approved by your local reviewer, so you will need to go 'upstairs' to get your listing published.

Contact The Raven for more advice.

If the parks and rec officials have reviewed and approved your plans, then you are good to go.

It is a little-known secret that caches involving digging CAN be approved if the landowner gives explicit permission to do so.

You will need to provide phone numbers and eMail addresses of the persons in charge of the property in question.

A cache like this is not likely to be approved by your local reviewer, so you will need to go 'upstairs' to get your listing published.

Incorrect, as far as I know, forum messages bear that out, with landowner approved buried caches being rejected. But again, the only opinion that counts is your reviewer, so that's who you'll need to ask.

Incorrect, as far as I know, forum messages bear that out, with landowner approved buried caches being rejected. But again, the only opinion that counts is your reviewer, so that's who you'll need to ask.

It may depend on where you are, and who the landowner is.

I know of a couple caches on Government property that were hidden with some digging needed.

The reviewer clearly knew digging was needed, and they still approved the cache.

Check with your reviewer. However, remember that just because it was allowed on one cache doesn't mean it will be OKed for yours.

Edited by uxorious

Hey, so I am wanting to place this cache that I have built. Its a water draining type cache. I have permission to place it from parks and rec. I will be concreting this into the ground, and building a french bed under it for drainage. But I'm scared that if I concrete it in it will not get published and I will have to move it. Any solutions? I need to know 100% that it will be accepted before I waste the labor and resources.

Make a new geocaching listening, and DO NOT select, "This is ready for publishing" instead send an E-mail to the reviewer with the link and ask them if it seems okay. If they say yes wait until you get it done to publish.

As for it being agaisn't rules, just don't mention it. If asked just say that the concrete was put there by someone who did it for the parks and recks, and it just so happened that it had the perfect hole for your cache. See the thing is, the parks and recks or companies can dig holes and use concrete for things such as benches, and you can use benches to put the cache on. But you can't make a fake bench, even if the parks and recks want it.

It's so easy to get around that rules with permission (No worries, parks and recs won't complain) Even if the reviewer sees it, chances are he won't care.

Make a new geocaching listening, and DO NOT select, "This is ready for publishing" instead send an E-mail to the reviewer with the link and ask them if it seems okay. If they say yes wait until you get it done to publish.

As for it being agaisn't rules, just don't mention it. If asked just say that the concrete was put there by someone who did it for the parks and recks, and it just so happened that it had the perfect hole for your cache. See the thing is, the parks and recks or companies can dig holes and use concrete for things such as benches, and you can use benches to put the cache on. But you can't make a fake bench, even if the parks and recks want it.

It's so easy to get around that rules with permission (No worries, parks and recs won't complain) Even if the reviewer sees it, chances are he won't care.

It's so easy to rob a bank, too...

I agree with the people that say to talk it over with your reviewer, and do not hide details with him. (I probably would have started talking it over with the reviewer back in the planning stages, long before building anything.) To be honest, it sounds rather unlikely that it would get published.

I was told by the cacher I linked to that the parks department in Prescott wanted him to place caches in a certain way that involved digging and being buried.

He said he had to 'go over the reviewer's head' with the request.

Again, the park people wanted the caches placed in a manner not strictly consistent with the published guidelines, but since they are guidelines, exceptions can, have been, and will be made again.

Incorrect, as far as I know, forum messages bear that out,

The more I thought about this statement, the more I had to laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: When have forum messages ever been the place to get accurate information?

This forum is a great place to get opinions, and a place to start when looking for information. However, never, never take what you read here as a way to "bear that out". :) :) :) :)

Where did you learn your values, coldgears?

This is the worst advice you could give. Essentially, you're telling him/her to cheat and lie to get a cache placed that clearly falls outside what the guidelines allow. It's statements and mindsets like this that make it more difficult for those of us who follow the rules and have morals regarding our hobby to keep playing the game without having the reviewers turn into complete sticklers who you can't deal with. Shame on you....

Incorrect, as far as I know, forum messages bear that out,

The more I thought about this statement, the more I had to laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol: When have forum messages ever been the place to get accurate information?

This forum is a great place to get opinions, and a place to start when looking for information. However, never, never take what you read here as a way to "bear that out". :) :) :) :)

I read it in a forum on the internet, so its gotta be true. Sheesh, next you'll be telling me I cant trust, say, uhm, places like Wikipedia... :anibad:

I would also wander about the subtleties of the rules - it is not the cache itself that is being buried, but the 'housing' the cache is hidden in - from groundspeaks end, the initial digging is done with the full landowners permission, and to retrieve the cache no digging is required, so shouldn't start a trend of digging about trying to find a buried cache (as I believe the rule is mainly in place to guard against.

Certainly there is the chance for a copycat hide, which should be shot down fairly quickly by reviewers if they don't see the relevant permissions.

The caches of this type that I have logged are posts in a fence that existed before cache placement. The pipes have a drain hole near the bottom so that rainwater drains out to prevent splitting the pipe when it freezes. A normal size fencepost less than 5' high fills with no more than 2.5 gallons of water.

Well, maybe it's a six inch pipe! :blink: