Before I suggest a low priority feature request, does anyone solve this already?

Redfist

I like puzzles - maybe that makes me a puzzle geek, but I like it! :)

As such, I've solved more puzzles than I've found. What I'd like to do now that it's no longer 1000 degrees in Phoenix,AZ is to go out and find a bunch of them. What methods do people here usually use to keep track of solved puzzles for the purpose of grouping them on a hunt?

I'm already placing all solved yet unfound puzzles into a bookmark. What I'd love is if I could have a map with all unfound caches (not just puzzles) but with my solutions (as found in cache notes with final coords) to puzzles overlaid on top of the map. That way I could choose a dense area with 1 or more puzzle solutions to find.

I guess I could just use my memory but hell - I'm getting older. :)

Thoughts?

As such, I've solved more puzzles than I've found. What I'd like to do now that it's no longer 1000 degrees in Phoenix,AZ is to go out and find a bunch of them. What methods do people here usually use to keep track of solved puzzles for the purpose of grouping them on a hunt?

I'm already placing all solved yet unfound puzzles into a bookmark. What I'd love is if I could have a map with all unfound caches (not just puzzles) but with my solutions (as found in cache notes with final coords) to puzzles overlaid on top of the map. That way I could choose a dense area with 1 or more puzzle solutions to find.

Thoughts?

I have a feeling that the answer is going to be GSAK.

I've solved a handful of puzzles that I have yet to go find. What I do is record the answers and final coords in the personal note section of the cache page. When I'm ready to go after one I've solved, all I have to do is go to the page and my answer is there. I haven't done enough to need an extra map feature, but you can always use the "add placemark" feature on google earth to overlay them all onto the map.

Thoughts?

I could do something like this, but it requires GSAK and a third-party mapping program like DeLorme or Streets and Trips.

By using GSAK, you can export a 'corrected' location for the cache using your solved co-ordinates. I can select for export only those caches with 'corrected' co-ordinates and (for my Magellan, at least), I can have those caches acquire a special icon. You could obviously export the 'solved puzzle' list directly to your GPSr, but I would imagine you would want to select a 'target rich' environment that included non-puzzles as well. This is where the mapping software comes in. You could export (from GSAK) the solved puzzles with one icon, and all others with one (or perhaps several based on cache size, as I do) to another file. Then you can visualize them on the map and choose the center-point around which to export a file (from GSAK) appropriately sized for the capacity of your GPSr.

Clear as mud?

Partly. But since GSAK's handling of corrected coords leaves a great deal to be desired, I have a program that goes in and changes the coords on caches I get from Groundspeak before they ever get into GSAK.

Anyone is welcome to my program, which takes corrected coords from a text file and changes the coords in a GPX. One advantage it has is that it is about 100 times as fast as GSAK; processes a 500-cache GPX file in about 1 second.

Thoughts?

Yes. Put your corrected coordinates in GSAK in the corrected coordinate dialog and use MyGMEv3 to plot the map, on the advanced tab in the upper right hand corner in the coordinates box tick the corrected radio button.

I guess you could use Fizzy's solution of editing the .gpx file from Groundspeak but I find that is using a 10lb sledge to drive tacks.

Mystery caches go into a separate GSAK database. If I solve a puzzle, it gets corrected coordinates and will get exported with other solved puzzles as a .gpx file. That .gpx file will go into a CacheBox database on my phone specifically for puzzles. (My Geocaching app supports multiple databases, which means I can have separate databases for different areas, separate databases for benchmarks, and separate databases for puzzles. That means, in general, smaller individual databases which means individual databases load faster.)

I also use GSAK corrected coordinates, but I keep all active caches in the same database. I use Memory Map to plan my route and a great macro (rMMe) which exports the cache icons to the mapping app withh separate icon for corrected coordinates. As I cache by a walking route I load the route to the GPSr and all the caches within the area (though they are usually there already as POI).

I also use this method for multicaches when I've worked out a final location either by logic or when a multi causes me to veer off my route too far.

The main danger is that final locations are sometimes moved over time. It's always worth running through the logs first to check this hasn't happened.

Lastly you need confidence in yourself, as doubt can creep in when you're searching for a cache that you worked the puzzle out for several years ago and can't even remember how you did it.:lol:

Thoughts?

I just put the name and real coords in my gps

I've been using a "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list with a PQ. I email that PQ to boulter's Geocaching Basecamp, and from there I download a GPX file with the coordinates replaced with the solved coordinates.

I also put the solved coordinates in the Personal Cache Note, and Neongeo (an Android app) automatically moves the cache to those coordinates. As soon as Neongeo starts making it easier to distinguish between solved and unsolved puzzles, I won't be downloading the corrected GPX file as often.

I actually have found out that Cachebox shows Corrected Coordinate Geocaches differently then Mystery caches without corrected coordinates, so I may change my methods and put the cache(s) into the relevant "local" database for the area they are in, or in my "Trips" database for puzzles in areas I don't usually get to. (Like one in the UK that I ended up solving due to a forum thread but which I might not get a chance to visit.) Cachebox's multiple database feature is pretty handy for storing thousands of caches all over the country without slowing the app down to a crawl. :)

I use GSAK as well but not alone. Except for all but the most trivial of puzzles, I copy the details of the puzzle into a note in Evernote, then tag it with "puzzle". As I'm working the puzzle, I'll put my notes - URLs, clues, pieces needed for a calculation, what have you - in as well. Once I've solved it, I tag it "solved" and once I've found the cache, "completed."

I do this with multis as well, putting a photo of each set of coords (and any other notes) for the multi into the note associated with that multi using the Android Evernote app. This way if I can't complete the cache in one trip, I've got records at my fingertips.

Edited by dakboy