Latest news on LightSquared

Walts Hunting

The Virginia-based satellite and broadband communications company has plans to build a nationwide, next-generation, 4G phone network that many, including Shelton, think would seriously hinder the effectiveness of high-precision GPS receiver systems, a product used most commonly by the United States military.
Huh? No mention of the millions of civilian GPS users? Maybe "high-precision" is the key word? If not, the Fox News reporter did a pretty poor job of researching the use of a commonly used device. :blink: Regardless, I find it interesting that anyone thinks that a system with the potential to destroy the ability of the military to navigate & track tactical maneuvers is a good idea.

L2's CEO says:

We understand that some in the telecom sector fear the challenges for their business model that LightSquared presents.
So far, we see the military (and private sector GPS users) showing concern. While I'm sure the telecom sector is concerned, last I checked the military doesn't have a horse in that race.
It's also ludicrous to suggest LightSquared's success depends on political connections. This is a private company that has never taken one dollar in taxpayer money.
What? What's being suggested is not that they are taking money, but that they are using their money to influence the gov'ts decisions.

L2's CEO says:

We understand that some in the telecom sector fear the challenges for their business model that LightSquared presents.
So far, we see the military (and private sector GPS users) showing concern. While I'm sure the telecom sector is concerned, last I checked the military doesn't have a horse in that race.
It's also ludicrous to suggest LightSquared's success depends on political connections. This is a private company that has never taken one dollar in taxpayer money.
What? What's being suggested is not that they are taking money, but that they are using their money to influence the gov'ts decisions.

Yeah, it's a strawman argument meant to divert attention. But did anyone actually expect them to say "Yes of COURSE we bought your president (what parts of him were not already sold seven times over,)" twirls mustache, "And there's nothing you can do about it, because we bought the Senate and the Supreme Court too. It was 'buy 2 get 1 free'." Of course you also have to remember where Obama is coming from. He represents a party and a section of a party that has an ingrained instinct level distrust and disregard for the military, and anything else that smells of tradition, discipline, personal responsibility, and individual sacrifice.

L2's CEO says:

Yeah, it's a strawman argument meant to divert attention. But did anyone actually expect them to say "Yes of COURSE we bought your president (what parts of him were not already sold seven times over,)" twirls mustache, "And there's nothing you can do about it, because we bought the Senate and the Supreme Court too. It was 'buy 2 get 1 free'." Of course you also have to remember where Obama is coming from. He represents a party and a section of a party that has an ingrained instinct level distrust and disregard for the military, and anything else that smells of tradition, discipline, personal responsibility, and individual sacrifice.

Wow. Well said. Would have been true with just about any politicians name inserted in there, but well said.

L2's CEO says:

Wow. Well said. Would have been true with just about any politicians name inserted in there, but well said.

As I'm reading this..Fox news is running the story about the White House pressuring gen Shelton to downplay the effects of Lightsquared on the military :sad:

Implementation of the 'WiFi on Steroids' which seems to be well underway using the so called 'white space frequencies' left over from the switch to digital TV will likely leave them without a market... Almost everyone else in the business is just about set to go.

I think he's just trying to cover his losses... even his satellite service isn't making money apparently... and if he lost one, I don't think it could be replaced easily. Someone else could use those satellite bands and the parking space in orbit.

Doug 7rxc

Guess who LightSquared is making out to be the bad guys? http://www.lightsquared.com/public-policy/

Thanks for that. What a bunch of garbage. How are GPS RECEIVERS encroaching on frequencies used for other services?

Back in the 70's, I had a TV with an antenna on the roof. The guy next door had a CB radio with an illegal 75 watt amplifier. When he transmitted, my TV went whacky. According to Lightsquared's reasoning, my TV was encroaching on the CB radio band.

Guess who LightSquared is making out to be the bad guys? http://www.lightsquared.com/public-policy/

Thanks for that. What a bunch of garbage. How are GPS RECEIVERS encroaching on frequencies used for other services?

Back in the 70's, I had a TV with an antenna on the roof. The guy next door had a CB radio with an illegal 75 watt amplifier. When he transmitted, my TV went whacky. According to Lightsquared's reasoning, my TV was encroaching on the CB radio band.

You are so lucky you were never my neighbor. :) Many of us ex-chicken Banders were running in excess of 2K watts in our trucks. I bled all over the 10 and 11 meter bands, TV's, answering machines, and who knows what else. :unsure: So my neighbors that did not have cable TV were encroaching my CB? :laughing:

That is a big word that I would have to google, but it got the word "roach" in it, so that can't be good. :D

Excellent example of the ineffectiveness of the FCC. It couldn't even enforce rules in the CB bands... from power to type approval ratings. Now they have moved on to not enforcing their own rules on band plans and power limits for satellites. And the people who seem to enjoy breaking the rules will whine all the way to the end result.

That type of apathy about 'game' rules is evident already in many pastimes including Geocaching... " I'll do it my way, regardless!"

Doug 7rxc

After about ten seconds I was laughing so hard I accidentally hit the 'Close Window' button. :laughing:

You won't be laughing when a airplane falls on you head! :lol:http://gpstracklog.com/2011/07/faa-lightsquared-gps-interference-will-kill-794-people.html

Only 794.......? :unsure: Where, What? Nevermind.... :mad:

Excellent example of the ineffectiveness of the FCC. It couldn't even enforce rules in the CB bands... from power to type approval ratings. Now they have moved on to not enforcing their own rules on band plans and power limits for satellites. And the people who seem to enjoy breaking the rules will whine all the way to the end result.

That type of apathy about 'game' rules is evident already in many pastimes including Geocaching... " I'll do it my way, regardless!"

Doug 7rxc

I was laughing so hard...I wet myself... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

:unsure::o:unsure: