Did a cache use to be there

aa4ss

I was out today placing some new caches. I was hiding one with my wife and told her to find the spot. Well she saw one and went there to find a cache already there. This cache did not show on my pocket query so I was surprised we found one we were not looking for. Well when I got home I went to find this cache by using the coords. The closet cache from them coords was over a mile away. I think this was an old cache that the owner thought was gone.

Is there any way to look and see if an archived cache is around them coords?

Could be either a puzzle cache stage/final or part of a multi-cache. (Doing a search with the coordinates given, the closest cache appears to be a multi-stage puzzle cache.) Multi-caches can apparently be very long. (I've heard of, but haven't seen, multi-caches on both sides of an ocean.)

Edit: Oh, and you could try asking a local reviewer if that location is part of an active cache or an archived one.

Edited by EdrickV

Could be either a puzzle cache stage/final or part of a multi-cache. (Doing a search with the coordinates given, the closest cache appears to be a multi-stage puzzle cache.) Multi-caches can apparently be very long. (I've heard of, but haven't seen, multi-caches on both sides of an ocean.)

Edit: Oh, and you could try asking a local reviewer if that location is part of an active cache or an archived one.

+1

I could find no other caches at that location, whether archived or current. No final stages of multis, puzzles or anything. So it's either a letterbox, a geocache listed elsewhere or a cache that someone hid and never submitted.

Thanks for looking. I'll go back sometime and see if I can get more info on it. Thanks again for your time

Got the coords?

N 37 18.561

W 79 51.896

Also not sure of other caching sites. Only use this one

Here's a link to a search for letterboxes in the Blue Ridge Parkway area in the AtlasQuest database:

Atlas Quest simple search for Blue Ridge Parkway location

Not seeing anything exactly where your coordinates point but it's tough with letterboxes since boxes are found by directions not by coordinates, so the posted locations are often very general.

To check the LBNA database, go to: http://www.letterboxing.org/BoxFind.php

then type: blue ridge parkway into the "Word/phrase in clues (slow)" box or do a search by city/county

Edited by Lone R

As has been stated, it could also be a cache listed on a different website. Although by far the largest/most well known, geocaching.com is not the only website that lists caches.

I'm leaning towards the "one small trade item" being a carved stamp, and it being a letterbox.

That's my thought as well. That would be a pretty empty cache. Even caches where the quality of the contents has fallen, tend to have more trading items than just one.

Ultimately, for the purposes of the Proximity rule, it doesn't matter if it's not a Geocaching.com cache, although I would put a warning in the description about the letterbox and not mistaking it for the geocache.

I'd be curious to find out whether it's an archived cache or a letterbox. If you get back out there, let us know what additional information you find.

A few years ago, I finished a multi, signed the log, then turned around and found another cache about 60 feet away in the same set of ruins. It was the final to a multi that was archived after it had been taken, but then it had apparently been returned. I recognized some names in the log, so I jotted down the dates they found it and tracked down the cache. The owner ended up un-archiving it (after moving the final).

I could find no other caches at that location, whether archived or current. No final stages of multis, puzzles or anything. So it's either a letterbox, a geocache listed elsewhere or a cache that someone hid and never submitted.

Could it not alsu be true that it is an older puzzle that was made before the guidelines were changed to require posting of the final location?

I know of at least one traditional very near to me that was placed within 50feet of an older puzzle cache and allowed to stand because the puzzle was placed in the early days of geocaching with no final WP, hidden or otherwise...