Archived (deleted) images on GC.com servers

Rikitan

Hi guys,

I'm using in average 3-5 images in listings of my caches (34 active at the moment).

For many seasons I do it like this:

1. upload pics to drafted listing
  2. use URL of pic in listing HTML
  3. archive (delete) the picture, so its icon is not shown on the bottom of the listing

Those pics, which are archived are still available on their URLs, of course.

My question is - it is safe to make step 3, archiving the pictures?

I'm afraid that Grounspeak will take decision to tidy them up in future and I'll lose them all. :blink:

thanks for your opinion

I do something similar, and perhaps a bit safer. I upload the pictures to an archived cache listing but don't delete them. To be more accurate, I use an unpublished-but-archived cache, so nobody else can see the listing, which has become something of a mess with all the pictures and HTML experiments I've thrown in there over the years.

(I archived an unpublished cache because a moose destroyed the only suitable hiding spot and a new location wasn't practical. So it goes...)

I'm using in average 3-5 images in listings of my caches (34 active at the moment).

For many seasons I do it like this:

1. upload pics to drafted listing
  2. use URL of pic in listing HTML
  3. archive (delete) the picture, so its icon is not shown on the bottom of the listing

Those pics, which are archived are still available on their URLs, of course.

My question is - it is safe to make step 3, archiving the pictures?

I'm afraid that Grounspeak will take decision to tidy them up in future and I'll lose them all. :blink:

If the only reason that you are archiving them is to prevent their appearance on the listing, you have better, safer options to achieve the same goal.

If you own a cache listing that has been archived, you can upload the picture to that listing and use the link. Since the listing has been archived, you don't care that it show up.

Another method (and I don't know whether this is endorsed by Groundspeak) is to make a new cache page that you will never release, and upload the pictures to it. That way the image list will never show up on any of your cache pages but the images are safe.

If the only reason that you are archiving them is to prevent their appearance on the listing, you have better, safer options to achieve the same goal.

If you own a cache listing that has been archived, you can upload the picture to that listing and use the link. Since the listing has been archived, you don't care that it show up.

Another method (and I don't know whether this is endorsed by Groundspeak) is to make a new cache page that you will never release, and upload the pictures to it. That way the image list will never show up on any of your cache pages but the images are safe.

Thank you for your (and others) suggestions, I will do so! Hopefully soon enough :anibad: