Woodland Trust Night Caches ?

I am thinking about putting out a night cache in some woods owned by the Woodland Trust, I know there is a form to apply for permission to put a cache on their land but my question is do they allow pins to be stuck into trees to allow reflectors to be used for night caches? I know that the Forrestry Commision do not allow pins in trees.

Regards and thanks in advance.

I am thinking about putting out a night cache in some woods owned by the Woodland Trust, I know there is a form to apply for permission to put a cache on their land but my question is do they allow pins to be stuck into trees to allow reflectors to be used for night caches? I know that the Forrestry Commision do not allow pins in trees.

Regards and thanks in advance.

If they say no and you still want to put out a night cache, there are other ways......

Buy a cheap high-viz vest, strip off the 3M tape, and cut it into ribbons to tie around branches. Works a treat - for a fraction of the cost of fire tacks :)

Buy a cheap high-viz vest

I have a night cache using the same technology - except I got my high-viz vest free from the side of the road. You some times see torn ones in builder's skips. Its amazing how many you see once you start looking.

I also used some reflectors from bicycle pedals tie-wrapped to a twig stuck in the ground.

Good luck with your cache.

Would it be alright to use fire tacks on things like fence posts, and out of the way bits of stiles?

Point 4 of the Woodland Trust response:

"4. Where the fixing of message is part of the geocache then the use of gate or fence posts or other converted timber would be a more preferable location and we would advocate that all such geocaches are removed before they start to break down along with any fixing nails or pins."

The Ban on the use of Fire Tacks or similar was from the WT Technical Officer. If the Local Forester, who is the one who has to make the decision is happy for alternative arguments, then that person will give the yes to the cache. But in all cases, all details of how the cache is found, needs to be provided as part of the Walk In instructions. So that they cam make a informed decision. Some Woods will be deemed not suitable for Night Caches, by them.

Deci

A lot of places have now started to attach number tags to there trees usually with 1 inch nails.

This is what our council do, so no problems here, a fire tack is tiny in comparison.

many , many places now use these tags so maybe thinking has changed?

They know what to look for, and which trees have 'Foriegn Bodies' in.

If a cacher goes banging in nails in every other tree...

A lot of places have now started to attach number tags to there trees usually with 1 inch nails.

This is what our council do, so no problems here, a fire tack is tiny in comparison.

many , many places now use these tags so maybe thinking has changed?

From what I've heard the issue isn't with the damage a nail or a tack will do to the tree - but the damage a nail or a tack will do to a chainsaw or it's operator if they don't know it's there......so I wouldn't go so far as to say there's no problem there...?