Thumbs Down Votes for Challenges

nigel/liz

...I am neither able nor willing to classify challenges or caches into good and bad.

That's kewl. All you gotta do is not vote either way. Couldn't get any easier than that. B)

Actually, I also doubt that anyone really is able to classify caches/challenges into good and bad ones.

One only can use some pretty subjective criteria that work better for cachers not belonging to minority groups. Still doing a good/bad classification is a bit like grading at school and I do not give grades to caches.

Most cachers do not care whether a cache is good or bad, but rather about whether they enjoy or it.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Challenges face two kinds of "wow". First is whether the the location is "wow" and second is whether the activity is "wow" meaning fun or otherwise worthwhile to do. For virtuals the "wow" requirement was generally just about the location. But in reality I found that often what I was supposed to do at the virtual contributed quite a bit to whether I found it "wow". For example, virtuals that took me to several specific spots where I needed to get information were generally more interesting than just going to one place and taking a picture of my GPS.

I also prefer getting information and in this way learning something to taking photographs. The action challenges, however, are rather about different sorts of action and not searching answers to questions.

I guess my personal understanding of wow does not apply at all to actions like phooning, planking, performing handstands etc

Part of my problem might be that I might understand the term "fun" in a different way than the word is used in the US.

E.g. I noticed that the newest worldwide challenge

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX19EA

asks the cachers to tell a few fun facts about the creation of the fountain one has chosen to visit.

When I read this, I was left confused. I could have understood if they asked for a few interesting facts (history, art, architecture etc) about the creation of the fountain, but why in the world fun facts?

Cezanne

I'm guessing that most fountains don't have a lot of fun facts attributed to them but the first fountain that I thought of for this challenge was the Trevi Fountain in Rome (there is already a photo challenge located there). It's certainly historical, and I imagine that one might be able to come up with some fun facts about Bernini. Perhaps if you apply a liberal definition of fun, the legend of throwing a coin into the fountain to ensure a return visit to Rome might meet the criteria. Perhaps the challenge with this one is to find a fountain that *has* a fun fact, not just to find a fountain. BTW, I have yet to complete any challenges but might do this one and the photo challenge if funding comes through for some work I'll be doing in Rome in October.

I need to admit that while wow means something to me with respect to caches, gud means nothing to me. I guess that gud stands for good, but I am neither able nor willing to classify challenges or caches into good and bad.

Then don't. The rest of us that can figure out what our own feelings are about a challenge will pick up the slack. Here are some every day examples of gud vs. not gud to help you along in your search for your inner feelings:

Gud-

Woke up breathing.

Woke up not on fire.

Woke up next to the wife (wife not holding sharp implement).

Arrived at work safely.

Arrived at work to find boss is going to be out for the day.

Arrived at work to find a doughnut on my desk.

Free lunch.

Happy dog.

Kittens.

Fluffy baby birds.

Not gud:

Woke up dead

Woke up to find myself in a ditch covered in the blood of a stranger.

Woke up to find wife holding sharp implement near my unmentionables.

Arrived at work to discover the IT department taking a really hard look at the contents of my hard drive.

Arrived at work to find boss in my cubicle looking at his watch.

Arrived at work to find my coffee maker burned down the building.

Mugged during lunch, no money to buy food.

Hunted down by wife with sharp implement during lunch, too busy running for my life to eat food.

Kittens in my desk drawer, approximate T.O.D., last Wednesday.

Happy dog, chewing on my toe as I limp away.

Fluffy baby birds rainy poo on my head as I try to escape the dog that my wife has just released to hunt me down.

Actually, I also doubt that anyone really is able to classify caches/challenges into good and bad ones.

Well, you might be right. Personally, I can't speak for every cacher. Groundspeak claims there are 5 million of us, which is well outside my monkeysphere. I will say that, without even one exception, every single cacher I know personally, (over a hundred), has absolutely no problem classifying caches as either good or bad. The only problem they have, (though "problem" probably isn't the best word to use), is agreeing on their classifications. A cache that I would classify as bad, a friend would call good. Both opinions are valid.

Most cachers do not care whether a cache is good or bad, but rather about whether they enjoy or it.

Again, I can't speak for most cachers. I can only speak for those whose opinions I've solicited, which is something I do at every event I attend. If I had to guess at a figure, I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of two thousand? Of those, I can count on one hand those cachers who have expressed that they truly have no quality matrix, believing that all caches, from a soggy log film can near a dumpster, to a well stocked ammo can near a waterfall, are equal. The rest do recognize that some caches are better than others, and given an option, would prefer to find what they would consider a good one, as opposed to finding what they would consider a bad one. As with the first comparison, getting folks to agree on what is good vs. what is bad. But they most certainly have an opinion. They seem to concur on one point though; they unanimously enjoy the caches that they believe to be good more than they enjoy the ones that they believe were bad.

I have used fun facts meaning things like historic trivia. I don't think they are asking for comedy routines. I think they're using fun as interesting and intriguing not necessarily fun like rolling on the floor laughing,

Somehow offtopic:

I did not expect that they would mean rolling on the floor and laughing, but thought they mean trivia, weird, absurd, amusing etc information which is not what I typicall associate with fountains.

For example, one could use the Archduke John fountain at the main square of Graz

http://www.unescoworldheritagesites.com/hauptplatz_graz_austria.htm

I would expect a few sentences about Archduke John and his importance for Graz and about the symbolic behind the four figures of the fountain. Certainly, one could write about some absurd ideas of the mayor of Graz trying to get skinheads and homeless people away from the fountain - that might fit into the weird category, but I'd prefer the historic focus.

Thanks for all the replies. When I posted the original message I was undecided at to if I should keep this challenge running or to archive it, but as the thumbs down votes mainly appear to be from a small number of ant challenge protesters I will plan to keep it running for the time being.

Thanks for all the replies. When I posted the original message I was undecided at to if I should keep this challenge running or to archive it, but as the thumbs down votes mainly appear to be from a small number of ant challenge protesters I will plan to keep it running for the time being.

Just looked at it. It looks awesome. If we did challenges, we would do yours if we had the chance. Would rather find a cache there though.

Just looked at it. It looks awesome. If we did challenges, we would do yours if we had the chance. Would rather find a cache there though.

Suppose I did something like this...

Get an ammo can or regular size container and hide it at an interesting historical spot with a nice view.

Put a sign in the container rich reads "Completed!"

I'll even put a log book in the container as well if you want to sign a physical log and there would be room in the cache if you want to drop in swag items or trackables.

Then I'll post a challenge which asks people to find the container, remove the sign and take a photoe of the sign at the historical spot.

Keep in mind, you won't get a Found It log for finding the container, but other than that, it effectively has all the elements of a traditional cache.

Would you accept the challenge?

Get an ammo can or regular size container and hide it at an interesting historical spot with a nice view.

I'll even put a log book in the container as well if you want to sign a physical log and there would be room in the cache if you want to drop in swag items or trackables.

Then I'll post a challenge which asks people to find the container, remove the sign and take a photoe of the sign at the historical spot.

Keep in mind, you won't get a Found It log for finding the container, but other than that, it effectively has all the elements of a traditional cache.

Sounds like fun. If I was in the area, I'd do it.

I've already completed the only challenge in my area. Do I like them? No, not necessarily, but I did it anyway. I don't think I'll do any more though but only because of one reason. They don't count in the total number of "caches" found. They are calculated differently. And, for now, I'm trying to get to a certain number by a certain date and I don't have time to do these ones that don't count.

I truely enjoy seeking the virtuals as they take me to places I may not have otherwise visited. I like the idea that I can read about it, take a photo and get credit, without having to worry about muggles. I detest those caches that are placed near businesses, usually without the business knowing, thus raising the question of, "What are those people doing there in those bushes?" Or by that electrical box, or climbing up on that structure. Those type caches should not be approved. They put the cacher in plain view day or night and tend to make us look suspicious. Sorry, that is digressing somewhat. Virtual caches allow one to visit a spot quickly enough, and still be unnoticed. Just my two cents...

Sounds like fun. If I was in the area, I'd do it.

That's the cache from which I got the idea.

I just checked on the challenge that I created a day after they came out. It's had a few completions that were exactly how I intended it, include one from a cacher that wrote that he didn't think he'd ever do a challenge but had fun with mine. He also happens to be the cacher from New State with the most finds.

This is the kind of place that I think is worthy of visiting because I love historical areas. Sadly, I'll probably never have the opportunity to visit it because of the distance.

However, I gave you a thumbs up..just because I can. :D

when the challenges came out i made 1 named "Movie Night" where you had to take a picture of you hugging a redbox kiosk while holding a dollar bill and it was archieved due to dislike. Well i have something to share on 9/19 redbox is holding a contest "HUG A REDBOX KIOSK & YOU COULD WIN* A SONY HOME THEATER PACKAGE" not so stupid a challenge idea now. When redbox there self is holding the challenge. So on 9/19 go here for more info http://www.redbox.com/shareyourlove?om_ ... 1GB8de0aKh

when the challenges came out i made 1 named "Movie Night" where you had to take a picture of you hugging a redbox kiosk while holding a dollar bill and it was archieved due to dislike. Well i have something to share on 9/19 redbox is holding a contest "HUG A REDBOX KIOSK & YOU COULD WIN* A SONY HOME THEATER PACKAGE" not so stupid a challenge idea now. When redbox there self is holding the challenge. So on 9/19 go here for more info http://www.redbox.com/shareyourlove?om_ ... 1GB8de0aKh

I'll bet it was not because the idea was disliked. It was probably because it wasn't location specific.

User submitted challenges are specific to a single location (coordinate), just like geocaches.

I just think that if you get a down vote there should also be a legitimate (courteous) comment telling why there is might be a problem with the challenge

I might not go out of my way to visit a particular museum or plank at a particular statue, but I'm not going to vote it down and risk ruining somebody else's fun.

Why should it ruin someone else's fun if you vote?

Cezanne

Because, right now, it is unclear if a certain number of down votes might lead to the archival of a challenge. I personally don't have much interest in historical markers, so I'm not really interested in challenges that involve them. But I realize that some people *do* like them, and *would* enjoy such challenges. I would hate to see a challenge archived simply because some people don't like them. As such, I reserve a "thumbs down" vote for challenges that I subjectively deem to be "bad".

I personally think that what was intended by Jeremy when he said everyone should vote, was that you should do so based on subjective opinions of what is a good or bad, challenge not necessarily what you would enjoy, For example, before I retired I was a librarian with responsibilities for selecting books. I selected books I thought were well written, would fill a gap in the collection, or be popular with our users. Which books I wanted to read was irrelevant because I was not choosing books for me.

THIS!!!! Wonderful example, too! I especially like your point of "filling a gap in the collection." I see that possibly coming into play as certain areas (such as the Washington DC monuments) get a lot of challenges listed. I can see some challenges getting down votes because it is repeating a challenge that is already listed, or just because it is deemed inferior to others in the area that are already listed. What is deemed "good" or "bad" may vary by region.

Seems all that have posted their challanges here in the forums, they have been voted down by system abusers. :mad: I agree that you should complete/try a challange before you can vote on it. The system is a failure.

Are you saying that the ones posted in the forums have gotten archived, or simply that they have gotten a few extra down votes? As long as the good ones listed here don't get archived, I don't see how you can deem the system a failure. I've seen bad challenges and challenges that don't meet the guidelines disappear before my eyes. All the challenges listed in my area I would rate as "okay" to "really great"; I don't see a stinker among them. (Though we don't have that many yet.) From what I can see, the system is actually working okay. YMMV

I just think that if you get a down vote there should also be a legitimate (courteous) comment telling why there is might be a problem with the challenge

I tried that. All it got me was a nasty email. If I voted thumbs down on your challenge you can assume I didn't like it. If I flagged it I thought it didn't fit the requirements, as few as there are.

Most of what I have flagged I did so because the challenge did not have a single and specific location. A couple were because the only intent of the challenge was to mock challenges. Challenging people to email GS demanding an end to challenges is gonna get a flag from me.

Thumbs up obviously means you like the idea.

Thumbs down means you don't like the idea.

It's pretty simple. If I decided to waste my time looking at challenges across the country/planet, I could cast my 'vote' on any of them. Thumbs up if I like it, thumbs down if I don't.

The funny thing is that Groundspeak chose to provide this for challenges, but there is no functionality to 'thumbs down' a cache...the only option is to favorite it, or not.