Suggestion for Groundspeak i.e. charter members

bug_zapper

How's about a ground speak set of stickers or choice of shirt or maybe a bug and a shirt and a window sticker? Give us something for our 30 bucks sheesh. You know... a geocaching starter kit or something. I at least get a free calendar or pen from the Elks whe I pay my dues there. What are they doing with all that money? (2000x30+revenues from items)

just a suggestion.....

[This message was edited by The Bug Zapper on July 02, 2002 at 11:46 AM.]

[This message was edited by The Bug Zapper on July 02, 2002 at 11:48 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The Bug Zapper :

How's about a ground speak set of stickers or choice of shirt or maybe a bug and a shirt and a sticker?

Yeah ... every year AOPA sends me a window decal. Ditto for the zoo, botanical garden, and a half dozen other organizations.

I already have a geocaching.com static decal in my back window, but I'm sure I could find a spot for another little decal ... icon_wink.gif

Nah, really, I don't want a premium. Forget the premiums and put the money into the site.

quote:
Originally posted by The Bug Zapper :

How's about a ground speak set of stickers or choice of shirt or maybe a bug and a shirt and a sticker?

Yeah ... every year AOPA sends me a window decal. Ditto for the zoo, botanical garden, and a half dozen other organizations.

I already have a geocaching.com static decal in my back window, but I'm sure I could find a spot for another little decal ... icon_wink.gif

Nah, really, I don't want a premium. Forget the premiums and put the money into the site.

What other organization do you subscribe to for $30 a year. that gives you stuff? that has less then 4000 members? and about only about half of them pay that $30?

Don't get me wrong, a premeium would be nice but then again I don't think Jeremy is doing this for a living. so I greatly doubt there is much profit in geocaching.com that they can start giving away stickers, totebag, or mailing newsletter.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I'm paying the 30 bucks a year to help pay for the servers, bandwith, and time because I like to use the website to get the info on the caches.

$3 or so a month is nothing to support an activity that you like doing.

Chip

Aren't we already getting a cool website and a fun game?

If your numbers are correct and there are only 2000 charter members, how do expect there to be any money for free stuff? That only comes to 60K per year. You are lucky to find one qualified IT guy for this amount. On top of this, you have equipment costs, bandwidth, insurance, taxes, blah, blah, blah.

I have no idea how much pure profit comes from the sale of items, but I doubt that it is enough to cover these costs and give us trinkets. Plus there would be the rather large cost of shipping all this stuff to the members.

With all due respect Bug Zapper, maintainence on the Geocaching.com Web site is costing a lot more than the money raiesed by the measley $30 a year per VOLUNTEER member. Personally, I paid because I enjoy caching and realized that there is NO hobby - excluding watching paint dry - that you can do as often as you like for only $30 per year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, in my mind, the Charter Membership was set up as a way for enthusiasts to donate to the support of geocaching. If you're not that enthusiastic about the hobby, keep your $30 and STILL have access to everything on the site that you need to participate.

Maybe you have misunderstood the intention of the Charter Membership. It's not to give something to the fans, it's for the fans to give something back to the organization that makes the hobby possible.

The way I figure it, I could go to Disneyland and pay a lot more for one day, stand in a long, long line to get on a ride (maybe I could get on 3 or 4 rides in the day), have people run into me, and pay outrageous prices for food or I could pay $30 a year to help support Jeremy and take nice walks in locations sometimes isolated, usually with beautiful views, plenty of exercise to help my health and time spent with friends talking. I think $30 is a deal and don't need to ask for freebies.

No doubt the guy is working pretty hard keeping things running. I'm sure more features are forthcoming as the subscription promises. icon_razz.gif

AN id membership card or something would just be appreciated but I won;t live or die by it.

[This message was edited by The Bug Zapper on July 06, 2002 at 06:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Bug Zapper on July 08, 2002 at 06:45 PM.]

No doubt the guy is working pretty hard keeping things running. I'm sure more features are forthcoming as the subscription promises. icon_razz.gif

AN id membership card or something would just be appreciated but I won;t live or die by it.

[This message was edited by The Bug Zapper on July 06, 2002 at 06:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Bug Zapper on July 08, 2002 at 06:45 PM.]