GPSr advice please! eTrex Vista

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first GPSr but funds are tight.

I'd like to have an electronic compass as not having one on the GPS60 I have been borrowing drives me nuts!

Looking at specs etc on lower end models I am looking at an eTrax Vista. I have bids on a couple of the bare Vista but what about the Vista H?

Does anyone use either of these that can comment please? Also, what should I be paying for either of them second hand in god working condition with no accessories?

Cheers for any help,

z. :-)

Vista H is good. The eTrex range is about to be replaced, so prices for new ones on eBay are dropping... Sub £60 for the last vista allegedly.

Electronic compass not worth it though, a more accurate compass is available free on a keyring with a certain brand of walking shoes. Spend 20 to 300 quid on a real compass.

the H means it's got the high sensitivity receiver (as opposed to the non-H), so should me a tad more reliable in poor reception.

I would disagree about the compass, I find it useful for keeping the arrow pointing in the right direction; without it you have to be moving in order for the unit to be able to work out which direction the cache is in. Having said all that I never use it as a dedicated compass, and if I was walking the hills/moors where a compas was necessary I'd use a good old fashioned 'manual' one.

the H means it's got the high sensitivity receiver (as opposed to the non-H), so should me a tad more reliable in poor reception.

I would disagree about the compass, I find it useful for keeping the arrow pointing in the right direction; without it you have to be moving in order for the unit to be able to work out which direction the cache is in. Having said all that I never use it as a dedicated compass, and if I was walking the hills/moors where a compas was necessary I'd use a good old fashioned 'manual' one.

Yes this is why I want the electronic compass ... so that I can stand still and the unit knows which way it is facing. I rarely cache using a map so knowing where north is isn't much use to me, the GPSr knowing where it is means it can keep pointing me in the direction of the cache! Walking back and forth is getting on my nerves.

Interesting info about the eTrex range being discontinued and I'd love to find a brand new one for £60 but that isn't now sadly and second hand ones are fetching that much still.

I've got bids on a couple that are ending soon, but didn't know how much was too much to bid for a basic and a "H". Don't want to pay more than it's worth!

z.

Have a look at my resource site. The page on GPS explains the features of a GPS (including the various types of compass) and a comparison of what each one can do. Gives guide prices too. You can then see which units offer an electronic compass (2 axis - will work when stationary or 3 axis - will work held in any position). Information too about maps you can use and paperless caching.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first GPSr but funds are tight.

I'd like to have an electronic compass as not having one on the GPS60 I have been borrowing drives me nuts!

Looking at specs etc on lower end models I am looking at an eTrax Vista. I have bids on a couple of the bare Vista but what about the Vista H?

Does anyone use either of these that can comment please? Also, what should I be paying for either of them second hand in god working condition with no accessories?

Cheers for any help,

z. :-)

I've used a Vista Cx for 4 & 1/2 years and rate it very highly; if you can get one at a decent price I'd say go for it, though it's obviously worth paying a bit extra for the HCx model.

I agree.

The compass has nothing to do with knowing which way north is, and everything to do with knowing what way the cache is when I'm standing still :)