Found an Unlisted Cache; What do?

Davey Harland

My friend and I started geocaching last year, and she inadvertently found one in a local park. However, when we went to log it, we couldn't find it on the map.

This geocache had been forgotten about for well over a year (maybe even two; it's been a while since I read the dates) when we found it, and we were the only ones to frequent it until this year, when another cache was stashed in the same park (I guess people are finding this one by accident instead of the listed one).

Is this an abandoned one that somehow fell off the website, or is this some kind of private one that's only intended for people with paid memberships? I'd love to log our find, but it seems we can't. :(

Could have been an event cache, placed for a training course of other function and not removed.

Could have been placed and never published.

Could be a letterbox, they are usually placed in similar locations.

Could be listed on another caching website. But why someone would do that is beyond me.

Look for any markings that would indicate a website or email address and try to locate the owner.

It's very possible that it's a Groundspeak-listed cache that has been archived. So many archived caches are left out there as geolitter.

If you know the cache placer's username, or some names that were in the logbook, you could do a search that way. Even if archived, it will remain on the lists of the owner and the finders.

If it's local to you, can you go back and find it again?

Not sure if it would help, but what's the GC code of the other cache? It sounds like people are logging the archived cache, confusing it with the active one.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Ok, I stopped by it on my way home today and got the name/ID code for the cache. It is the final part of a multi-cache that was archived because the first part became unreadable and was never repaired. I'd see if I could "adopt" it but don't have a GPS (I use satellite photos and description clues... and often multiple attempts), so I can't figure out it's exact coordinates to fix the first part with. (And depending on the nature of the first part, I might be unable to find the first part without a GPS.) It's very easy for me to get to, so I wouldn't mind adopting it if I had a GPS and if everyone involved allowed me to do so.

Only three (maybe four; there was an undated stamp) entries are newer than the entries my friend and I did. These entries were in January and February, but we saw a bunch of newer entries in the other cache, so I don't think that many people are confusing it. I did leave a note stating that this isn't the Lunar Terminal cache in the log book while I was examining it today.

And woo, now that I have its ID code, I was able to log it and now have credit for all ten of the geocaches I've visited! ^o^

Edited by Davey Harland

Shouldn't some one pick it up? If its archived....wouldn't it be considered geotrash?

I would probably contact the old CO first - some caches could be archived from this site but still in use elsewhere. But yes if it is truly abandoned, the world does not need any more litter.

Rather than starting a new thread I will post here since I have the same sort of topic.

I found a "geocache" about a year back with my girlfriend and we signed the log, however I did not know about the whole geocaching sport and the community it has. After being reacquainted with the whole idea I remembered about this certain place as I bike by it to work every morning. I checked and the hiding place is still there but I cannot for the life of me find anything else about it. I was wondering if there was a way that I could contact my local reviewer and see if it has been deactivated or never cataloged. It's hidden in plain sight yet it's the perfect place and if I could I would love to adopt the spot for my own geocache.

If anybody would care to shine a light on the subject for me it would be much appreciated.

Warm reguards,

Winxx

I suppose I'll e-mail the original owner and see if I can adopt it if it's not in use. It's a good spot. Or at least the final end is. I'm not sure what the first part is like because I haven't been able to try and find it yet (yeah, not having a GPS makes this hobby a little more difficult. XD)

Rather than starting a new thread I will post here since I have the same sort of topic.

I found a "geocache" about a year back with my girlfriend and we signed the log, however I did not know about the whole geocaching sport and the community it has. After being reacquainted with the whole idea I remembered about this certain place as I bike by it to work every morning. I checked and the hiding place is still there but I cannot for the life of me find anything else about it. I was wondering if there was a way that I could contact my local reviewer and see if it has been deactivated or never cataloged. It's hidden in plain sight yet it's the perfect place and if I could I would love to adopt the spot for my own geocache.

If anybody would care to shine a light on the subject for me it would be much appreciated.

Warm reguards,

Winxx

In the log booklet, there should be a name for the cache and/or a code that looks something like GFDUI8G (just a random thing I typed in). You can use it to look up the geocache and then check with its owner. I guess you could also use that name/code to talk to a local reviewer.

There is an unlisted cache at a place i frequent, I think its been archived. But one of the nearby cache owners has put a note on their page saying its in the general area and kind of lists it as a bonus cache for people to look out for. It's still gets quite a few logs in the year since I accidently found it the first time(before i actively started caching). But then theres a lot of people that come through the area.

Have to say it was cool to see it was still there over a year later with activity even though its not officially listed here.

Archived caches cannot be adopted, and cannot be unarchived for the purpose of facilitating an adoption. So, if you like a certain spot that used to be featured in a Geocaching.com cache listing, hide your own cache there.

or if the current cache is in good shape and the owner doesn't respond, write a new name in the logbook and list it as your own.