Mountain Lions..

wjgrun

Mt. Lions are known to have traveled 900 miles . Ohio supposedly has a new population that came in because of the pleantiful deer population. In order for the Lions to come further east they would likely try and move into an area with an overabundance of deer, like a place sort of like Mahwah. Oh, well see you on the trails, maybe.

Seriously, they have been reporting sightings in the Wawayanda area for the last couple of years.

My BIL has neighbor who is Park Official who says he has seen them, but can't report same as they don't want to start issue, I say if no sheep are killed or goats then there are none. I fall on the not here side.

http://www.americans-working-together.com/new_jersey/id20.html

Edited by Packanack

I am 75% sure I had a sighting 2 years ago in the Adirondacks.

The big guy was pretty far away (spotted movement on the next ridge over while bushwhacking through a wilderness area - then saw him with my field glasses)...

(Unless it was a monster sized bobcat)

NJ has bears, I nearly crapped myself when I was in a New Jersey State Park geocaching and noticed that a sign that said, "This is bear country, blah blah blah no food, blah blah blah don't do this... blah blah blah".

Anyway, I decided to get one in the parking lot and never to go back there. I'll stick with South Jersey for now on. Can't risk bears up in North Jersey.

I know a credible cacher who claims to have seen one in Hacklbarney, and I think I saw one in Somerset County.

But we all know that, like coyotes, they are mythical, until TPTB cannot avoid explaining the road kill...

I agree.

In '05 I spotted very large cat tracks following a small deer on a trail in Worthington State Forest.

Stopped at the Park Service and they brushed it off as hooey. No questions and no mention of checking. One young Ranger stated it "could have been a bobcat." Yeah, right.

I taught Hunter Safety and trapping in PA and well know the difference.

Oh yeah, Coldgears... The cache name was "Don't let the bears get ya". :lol:

One young Ranger stated it "could have been a bobcat." Yeah, right.

speaking of bobcats, has anyone here seen a bobcat in the wild in NJ? any stories?

Saw one run in front of my car a few times. Last was on Boonton Ave by Boonton Reservoir. Before that it was on Schooleys Mountain.

NJ has bears, I nearly crapped myself when I was in a New Jersey State Park geocaching and noticed that a sign that said, "This is bear country, blah blah blah no food, blah blah blah don't do this... blah blah blah".

Anyway, I decided to get one in the parking lot and never to go back there. I'll stick with South Jersey for now on. Can't risk bears up in North Jersey.

I saw cougars near this one in South Jersey GC1Y2WW

I was safe because they like younger prey.

I saw cougars near this one in South Jersey GC1Y2WW

I was safe because they like younger prey.

I see what you did thar...

I didn't know avalon beach existed. I usually go to Wildwood, Atlantic City, Cape May, or Seaside Heights...

Back in 2004 I spotted panther tracks at GCAE22, in the Pine Barrens, in Shamong, Burlington County. The tracks showed it stalking, then pouncing and missing, then chasing a deer. I had no camera with me, and no way to record the tracks. Very few people I told about it believed me. Oh, well. Opinions don't change facts. They are here.

Bears are down here in South Jersey, too.