Premium membership snobbery

Off Topic? What is that?

It's a forum here on geocaching.com that is only available to premium members. The topics are... Off Topic.

Oh, I didn't know that was an included benefit! Good to know, thanks!

Come to OT, we have donuts. And Bacon.

Is that a cruel joke? You know I'm vegan. Veganist pig. :)

Off Topic? What is that?

It's a forum here on geocaching.com that is only available to premium members. The topics are... Off Topic.

Sorry, I forgot that you had mentioned that. I think someone once mentioned tofu bacon. It wasn't a popular option though. But if you show up I will try to find you some.

Now I am ticked off! This is a total injustice. I think it is discrimination! I have been posting in these forums for years and never ONCE have been sexually harassed! Do you people have something against old bald fat guys? You elitist snobs you!

It's all in the the avatar. It's way too square.

Now I am ticked off! This is a total injustice. I think it is discrimination! I have been posting in these forums for years and never ONCE have been sexually harassed! Do you people have something against old bald fat guys? You elitist snobs you!

But, but, aren't they all square?

Oh I don't know. There might be someone who has been secretly eyeing Peggy for a while... :P Have you finished retraining?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Off Topic? What is that?

We also have an Out of Context thread which you might find interesting. ;)

Oh I don't know. There might be someone who has been secretly eyeing Peggy for a while... :P Have you finished retraining?

Peggy means nothing to me. Well, not anymore. :D

I doubt it. There is a hider in my town that makes many of his caches PMO. Probably there aren't 2000 in Florida. Isn't creating a PQ for PMs only? That's really why I'm going to load up my GPS soon. And it has a memory card so I think it'll hold more than 2000. Then I'm set for years!

Florida has 31,500 caches. I think your GPS will overflow :)

I doubt it. There is a hider in my town that makes many of his caches PMO. Probably there aren't 2000 in Florida. Isn't creating a PQ for PMs only? That's really why I'm going to load up my GPS soon. And it has a memory card so I think it'll hold more than 2000. Then I'm set for years!

Wow! Is that 31,000 PM caches or total caches? Either way, I'm sure I'll be busy for a while with basic caches!

I actually had a PM only cache. I made it PM because it was in my yard. It was nice to lure in...err...I mean meet cachers. At first I enjoyed t, and watching them search.

After a while, I got nervous about the location of my home published online. That, and I didn't always want to meet cachers AND oftentimes I felt badly when they couldn't find it right away. I'd run out to help.

It was an interesting experience. For one, I realized that as a CO what I think is a really easy cache isn't so easy when you factor in GPS accuracy, terrain and skill levels.

Once I got an angry log from a basic member that posted their rant on their friends account who was a PM! They found Tue cache together and she couldn't log it. I emailed her to explain why it was PM, and offered to male it basic so she could log it, then re- PM it. She was thrilled with that.

Since, I've archived the cache and moved the container from my home. It is now a non PM for all to curse...err..enjoy!

That was my foray into elitist snobery.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

I thought making PQs was a PM only benefit? That's what I would miss.

Off Topic is the only reason I renewed. With the android app I don't miss pq's any more. The notifications were nice, but I live in an area where few caches are hidden and I'm not into FTF anyway so I didn't really miss that.

Really, if someone wearing a blue bow had not talked me into it, I would probably still be basic.

Off Topic? What is that?

I do have an Android app and it is awesome! However, I use my GPS mostly because I do hiking, Kayaking and a lot of high terrain caches. I don't know of any way to load 2000 geocaches onto my GPS besides doing a PQ.

I don't get notifications anymore because I found I'm usually at work when I'm notified. Seeing PMO caches is nice, but I really think the Cache Owner is missing out by making their caches PMO. As a basic member I'll still be writing my good logs, taking pictures and favoring caches. They just excluded a good cacher. :)

Can you elaborate? Exactly what do you think they are missing out on?

Off Topic? What is that?

The only thing that makes Bacon better is... MORE BACON!

Wow! Is that 31,000 PM caches or total caches? Either way, I'm sure I'll be busy for a while with basic caches!

The query I'm sure reports all caches. To bad you don't live in California, then you would have over 95,000. I live in Washington and am stuck with only 24,400.

OK, Peggy... (sigh...) if you insist. You are a hottie too. There. Consider yourself properly harrassed in a sexual way. Now, go answer the phone.

You should consider shaving, though.

Once I got an angry log from a basic member that posted their rant on their friends account who was a PM! They found Tue cache together and she couldn't log it. I emailed her to explain why it was PM, and offered to male it basic so she could log it, then re- PM it. She was thrilled with that.

And if you decide not to renew your membership, or TAR doesn't pop a gift :), you can log PM caches via geocachingadmin.com. You cacher that was upset about your PM cach could have used that route also.

Off Topic? What is that?

+1

He is. They all are, except for me. When you stop by the Off-Topics forum, don't bother reading the "What are you having for dinner" thread, though. Its boring.

OK, Peggy... (sigh...) if you insist. You are a hottie too. There. Consider yourself properly harrassed in a sexual way. Now, go answer the phone.

Thanks. I gotta say though, it was rather disappointing. Some how I expected it to be more...I don't know...exciting?

Thanks. I gotta say though, it was rather disappointing. Some how I expected it to be more...I don't know...exciting?

For that, you're going to have to learn a lot more English than "Hello, my name is Peggy". For example, try, "Hello, my name is Peggy and I'm wearing a thick hand-knit sweater just for you, baybee!"

I thought making PQs was a PM only benefit? That's what I would miss.

Off Topic is the only reason I renewed. With the android app I don't miss pq's any more. The notifications were nice, but I live in an area where few caches are hidden and I'm not into FTF anyway so I didn't really miss that.

Really, if someone wearing a blue bow had not talked me into it, I would probably still be basic.

Off Topic? What is that?

I do have an Android app and it is awesome! However, I use my GPS mostly because I do hiking, Kayaking and a lot of high terrain caches. I don't know of any way to load 2000 geocaches onto my GPS besides doing a PQ.

I don't get notifications anymore because I found I'm usually at work when I'm notified. Seeing PMO caches is nice, but I really think the Cache Owner is missing out by making their caches PMO. As a basic member I'll still be writing my good logs, taking pictures and favoring caches. They just excluded a good cacher. :)

Can you elaborate? Exactly what do you think they are missing out on?

I'm a conscientious cacher. I make good logs, and take pictures of the area. So, they miss out on that. I know i get satisfaction when someone finds my caches. Moreso if they had fun and wrote about it, and uploaded pics. But, it's their choice. I will miss PM caches as I've found some.awesome ones. But there are plenty of others.

How do basic member load caches onto their GPS?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Off Topic? What is that?

+1

He is. They all are, except for me. When you stop by the Off-Topics forum, don't bother reading the "What are you having for dinner" thread, though. Its boring.

LOL! Too late. I read that one! Thanks for the consideration though. :)

Off Topic? What is that?

+1

LOL! Too late. I read that one! Thanks for the consideration though. :)

Was that before, or after I stated my commitment to become a vegan?

why this thread always hit a nerve or two? :unsure:

I went away on vac and come back to see this thread still alive and well. :ph34r:

It's alive anyway. ;) A little ill though.

edited content quoted. :rolleyes::anibad:

Some lines don't need crossing. Let's not get this thread locked, okay?

Agreed. I felt that was way out of line, too, SwineFlew.

I went away on vac and come back to see this thread still alive and well. :ph34r:

Oops, sorry guys, I got a bad sense of humor. :unsure:

I wasn't offended for what it's worth.

I wasn't offended for what it's worth.

We will keep that in mind, TV. :lol:

If the topic is off-topic, wouldn't everything be on topic? Except the ones that were on topic, cause they wouldn't be off topic, but then those would be off topic as well, cause the topic is off-topic. It's a paradox!

Edited by dfx

If the topic is off-topic, wouldn't everything be on topic? Except the ones that were on topic, cause they wouldn't be off topic, but then those would be off topic as well, cause the topic is off-topic. It's a paradox!

Looks like I'll be able to hang around the off topic area for another year! Thanks to the secret Santa that gifted me a membership! It will be well used and enjoyed.

I'm off to make all my caches PMO! No more riff raff logging them. Mwha haha.

;)

Looks like I'll be able to hang around the off topic area for another year! Thanks to the secret Santa that gifted me a membership! It will be well used and enjoyed.

;)

I was thinking of doing that but then figured you probably had 5-10 already gifted due to the recent threads. hehe

Congrats to the Secret Santa!

;)

I was thinking of doing that but then figured you probably had 5-10 already gifted due to the recent threads. hehe

Thanks for the thought, it is nice! Yes, I have 25 gift memberships I'll be auctioning off later. ;)

;)

Thanks for the thought, it is nice! Yes, I have 25 gift memberships I'll be auctioning off later. ;)

I'll bid $29.95 for one of them!

The moderating team received a number of reports about this thread in the past day or two. At this time I am closing the thread because it has veered hopelessly off topic.

Regarding the debate about "sexual harrassment": One reason why these forums exist is so that geocachers can get to know one another. I couldn't begin to count how many times I've sought out "forum regulars" at large events, or where other forum community members have come up and said hello to me. Real friendships -- and sometimes more than that -- can blossom from these forums. Side jokes are a part of this, and so is light flirting when the individuals involved are properly disposed to this.

On the other hand, such activity can go "too far," making others uncomfortable. When such discussions take place in the Geocaching Topics forum or other areas dedicated to GPS and geocaching topics, please be mindful that many others are reading the thread for its stated purpose. They have little or no interest in the side conversations. At the appropriate time, people who like conversing together should begin exchanging emails or PM's, or arranging geocaching roadtrips. Another great option is to move those side conversations over to the "Off Topic" forum.

I hope that this guidance is helpful. I am specifically not "making a ruling" about whether this thread crossed the boundaries of appropriateness. My lawyer paycheck only covers my day job, not my volunteer work. If a ruling is desired, please send a complaint to Groundspeak.