Preparing to Cache

Maybe this has been discussed before but i was unable to locate it. I am wondering how some of you prepare to go out caching when you have several caches you are going after for the day. I tried the iPhone app but I think phones are too unreliable to use to get information off of in the field. So currently I use my Garmin Etrex Legend. Its older but very reliable and usually pretty accurate. So my question would be if in my situation how do you prepare to go? I have tried several ways. One of the first was to print out the description page of the cache so I have the info, upload the points to the gps and head out. Once i got my new computer I started saving the page for each cache on the desktop so I could reference it from my vehicle. Once we started doing more off the beaten path type caches I am now writing only some of the most important info down and then loading the points and heading out. How do you guys do it? Maybe I am missing something here.

I use paperless now because I got so tired of writing up caches.

Before I would alternate between just cut and pasting the info I needed onto one page and printing that, or writing it up by hand. It was a toss-up which was faster.

I made a list of the caches, in the order I would get them.

I'd write the GC code, the cache name, the coords (at least the last 4 digits of the east and the last 4 of the west, any info in the description that would help, and the hint. then I'd scan down quickly to see if the last log was a find. If not, I'd see if there were enough DNF's that the cache might not be there.

Most caches can be written up in a couple of lines that way.

Now I've got a big file box of unfound cache pages.

I finally got a paperless GPS when I could not stand facing writing up cache pages even one more time.

When getting a whole lot of caches I still prefer to plan a route though.

My GPSr has paperless capabilities but I hate caching blind. I usually load the nearest 200 caches to have for the week. But I like to plan a route beforehand. I used to use the Geocaching maps but now I use Google Earth. I plan a route and just write down the names and then go out.

I downloaded the official GS app for my Droid. When I'm sitting around at night, or before heading out, I do a search for caches in the area & save the ones I think I may want to hit to an offline list. I'm in a pretty rural area & cell service is extremely spotty at best in most places I go. However, Sun., I was able to pull up the caches & navigate to them via map & radar. I couldn't load the descriptions due to lack of cell service. Luckily, I had a caching buddy with me who was able to pull up the descriptions on her Iphone app most of the time. Usually though, I've read the descriptions and have at least some idea of what I'm going after unless I wind up going after 15-20. I love being able to go paperless!

When I first started I used to print the cache page and take it with me. If I was doing more than a couple of caches it was a pain in the behind. After a while I realized that the only info I really used from them was the cache size. I have an older Etrex also and what I do is after I have loaded caches, I go to each one and highlight the "note" text box (this is the box where the cache name is displayed) and type in the size. You could also add D/T rating if you want. To access the info in the field all you have to do is select "note" at the bottom of the navigation screen. Selecting "data" puts you back on the navigation screen. The only catch is you can't add more characters than are already there. So let's say the cache is a small and a D-3, T-2. The text box on the GPSr only says The Waterfall by CacherX, just delete the CO name and add the info you want in it's place. So now it becomes The Waterfall Small 3/2.

I will use my upcoming trip as an example.

I can not stress enough how helpful GSAK and pocket queries are to trip planning. I also warn this this may be a lengthy post because I really enjoy the trip planing part. Maybe even more then actually finding the caches.

My catching buddy and I decided to improve our previous counties in a day count. So that determined the area to go.

Using pocket queries I can have information for all the caches in the area we are going.

Then using GSAK I can filter out caches that would not be good for this trip, too high a terrain for time available, requires a boat or scuba gear etc.

Then once the data is down to a more manageable size (in this case 2500 caches) I export it to a mapping program to easily see where each cache is in relation to each other. For this example I used MapPoint because I already had an easy to see county template. GPSVisualizer is a nice free on-line place to do the same thing but it tends to bog down on 1000+ data point gpx files. For smaller mapping chores it works quite well.

This allowed me to pick a starting road and then I could easily see which caches would be convenient to our direction of travel.

Then I would go back to GSAK and use one of the User data fields and number the caches in the order that best suited a non-backtracking circular route.

Then a simple filter by User data not being empty and a quick click to sort the column and I have a nice list of 40 caches all numbered and ready to go in the order I wish to find them.

This is where my caching buddy simply prints out a nice two page report out of GSAK with the important cache information and a section for him to write notes about each cache since he does not have a paperless caching option.

I then export that gpx file into a program called Tyre which is designed to combine data files with Google Earth or Google maps and automotive navigation devices from Tom Tom (which I have) or Garmin.

This allows me to check the routing my Tom Tom will probably pick and see road distances and estimated time of travel information. This trip is about 350 miles and estimated 9.5 hours of driving time.

I believe there are macros available for GSAK which may do the same function as Tyre but I've used Tyre longer then GSAK and have grown accustomed to how it works.

Anyway once I am happy with the route I then send it as an itinerary to the Tom Tom with each cache in my list set up as a stop. Then all I have to do is follow the directions on the Tom Tom to drive to each cache area in order.

I also have every active cache in the area I will be traveling to as a POI on the Tom Tom. Each have the proper icon so I can tell with a quick glance if I am driving by a multi cache for example. This is nice for unplanned stops that might present themselves for an extra find on the day. Its nice to stop for gas and see that 'hey there is a cache at the Cracker Barrel over there' without using anything but the Tom Tom.

Now is when the hand held device comes into play.

Currently using a PN-40. It has very nice paperless functions.

On it I will load via GSAK a gpx file of the 40 caches I plan to get.

I will also load a gpx file for every county I will be traveling through and neighboring counties. I divide the data by counties because the device becomes slow if I would have several thousand caches in one big gpx. This allows me to have easy access to tons of data just in case a cache on our list is not able to be found and a substitute can quickly and easily be used. If time and budget allows I will also download and install aerial images to the PN-40 for each cache area but this trip I am not using that step and will only use maps provided in Topo8. I have an iphone to use if I need aerial images in a pinch provided I am in a service area.

A netbook with GSAK, Tyre, MapPoint and Topo8 installed will also come along on the trip as additional data back-up. It can be used with MapPoint running and a blue-tooth gps by the navigator to confirm Tom Tom's directions because every once and awhile Tom Tom get a little befuddled on where he thinks I should go. Sometimes a simple u-turn is a lot better then that 25 mile detour he wants me to take.

I have the exact same setup you have (iPhone and Garmin etrex Legend). You have everything you need to do paperless caching.

When I'm planning a caching trip I'll do a pocket query for that area. When I receive the email with the query results I save that GPX file to my home computer in a desktop folder that has all my Geocaching stuff. Then I open the file with GSAK and send them to my Garmin.

Then, I open the Geocaching app on my iPhone. On the newest version there's a "Pocket Queries" button on the main menu. Since I receive email on my iPhone the new PQ is listed there automatically Just hit "save" and I'm done.

Now it's time to go caching. I bring both devices....the cache info is all saved on the phone so even without data signal I can access the descriptions, hints, and recent logs. I use the phone to drive to the location then when I get out on foot I grab the Garmin.

I seldom use the phone to log from the field unless I'm only doing one or two caches that day. I'll wait till I get home where I can sit down and type my logs.

I guess someday I'll get a high end GPS where everything can be done on one device, but for now this setup works fine for me.

I have never tried paperless caching, and I probably won't for a very long time. The cable is still in my GPS's box, but that would mean I have to walk all the way to the basement to get it. I just can't put forth that sort of effort. :laughing:

If I am doing 1-5 caches I just print every page. Any more, and I open up a Word document, and write down the Name, coords, d/t, and size of every cache. Then, if I need to, I can pull out my phone on the trail to get more info.

Not a premium member as of yet so I don't have access to pocket queries.

What I used to do was download individual cache gpx files via Garmin Communicator plug-in that would later be put on a Garmin Nuvi GPS. (Borrowed) Save copies of the cache web pages to my laptop to be transfered to my PDA. And occasionally look up Cache info on my flip phone.

Now I've got a Windows Mobile 6.1 Tilt to serve all three roles. I download either individual cache .loc files or a bunch of .loc files from the search page. Those I use the free GPSBabel to convert into a big .loc file, a .gpx file, and a TomTom .ov2 file. The .ov2 file is for CoPilot Live V8. (Which has TTS turn by turn directions.) The .gpx file can be used in NavComputer (which hopefully will be fully replaced by CoPilot) and the .loc file is for BasicGPS which is a free Geocaching program and what I'll use to find GZ. I've also got CacheBox, though I don't use it much.

Not sure how well the internal GPS will work, but (not counting an LPC) I've already found one cache using BasicGPS and NavComputer and used NavComputer (which can use pre-downloaded maps from Open Street Maps) to navigate to a couple of caches, with the Nuvi as backup.

I do not do any cache logging in the field, I wait till I get back to my computer. (That might change if I get a data plan.)

I have a Premium Membership but not a paperless GPS, so I still print off all the caches we might possibly look for on a trip and stick them in a folder. (My family calls them Filing Cabinet Querys, especially on longer road trips when the Queries actually take up several folders.) I have a waterproof document cover (the ones with zipper on them) to keep the printout of the cache we're looking for safe.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

I have two GPSrs, my Garmin Nuvi 765T and my iPhone 4.

Usually, I look for nearby caches relative to my position and then enter the longitude and latitude into my Garmin; that way, I have two GPSrs looking for the same cache. In addition, I store a pencil in my car in case of a nano or micro.

For my first few caching trips, I used paper, but now I use paperless because it's much more convenient and good for the enviornment :P