Geocaching HQ Central Pics

Duc996

Hey Jeremy I bet I'm not alone being curiuos about the Geocaching Central Office. How about posting some pics of the office spread and some description of the computers/servers that seem to run my (our) free time? There are enough techno geeks here that I'm sure it would be popular or at least we'd get to see some of our money in action.

Cool that's a start. But in my minds eye there are stacks and racks of overpriced servers and routers, CAT5 cable running to and fro, white boards filled with new and inventive ideas, overflowing wastebaskets filled with cappuccino and espresso cups, Garmin and Magellan reps showing the boys(and girls) the latest code that imbeds geocaching wants and wishes..... okay, okay I'll go to sleep now.

That picture shows half the office and looks about the same today, though I had to chop off the end unit to make room for the conference table to the left (off-camera).

All of our machines are now hosted off-site in a cabinet at InterNAP in Fisher Plaza, which itself is an amazing building to behold. We were fortunate enough to get in at the ground price when they moved in. We share the cabinet with KillerLink to split bandwidth and expenses. It is actually cheaper to lease our own cabinet at this point, as we use the same bandwidth at our office (and essentially become our own ISP). We're also in good company like Amazon.

Almost all of the web site machines have been moved over to cabinet-mount servers at this point, except for the web server. The database server is a 4U Quad processor machine that usually gets the most work of all the machines. Elias would have to go into the details since he handles the hardware pieces and security for the cabinet.

Our office is in the basement of a residence, which was once dark, concrete, and filled with cobwebs and mold. It was redesigned with some help from IKEA, and almost everything in the office was purchased on auction from failed dot-coms.

We're all tea drinkers (except me, so I'm a pot-a-day guy now), but we've got the traditional junk food, and our Jones Soda fridge is usually stocked with Snapple, bottled water, Coke, Mellow Yellow, and occasionally a few Red Hook beers. We hope one day to have a Slush Puppie machine.

Almost all our machines run Window$, except our mail server at InterNAP and an office box (formerly www.geocaching.com) which runs our Jukebox, Jabber server, newsgroup server, and print server. We also have a Mac Classic which we have been able to network but have yet to install a browser to work as a front-end for our jukebox.

Suprisingly enough there aren't too many cables lying around anymore. Each of us do have several computers under our desk, and for a while we had a few cabinet machines resting on conference chairs, but most of the equipment is now humming at Fisher Plaza.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Jabber server

I didn't know you ran a Jabber server. Is it private or part of the official geocaching machine? Would it draw too much bandwidth to make it an official "GeoChat" feature? I like Jabber because of gateways built in, you can talk to people on different networks from one client.

Thoughts?

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

Are you ever going to hook a webcam back up ? Just for grins and giggles?

Probably not. Ever feel like an animal in a cage?

quote:
And I found "You found my hidden info." on theirish.com page. Can I log it ? icon_wink.gif

It doesn't require coordinates, so no. Unless you made it a Letterbox.

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I didn't know you ran a Jabber server. Is it private or part of the official geocaching machine? Would it draw too much bandwidth to make it an official "GeoChat" feature? I like Jabber because of gateways built in, you can talk to people on different networks from one client.

Thoughts?

Probably not. I'd hate to support a Jabber server at this point. We may play with the idea of IM notifications when caches are logged, but it would be more of an experimental idea. IRC does a good job of chats and can be accessed from different apps. ClayJar already has an excellent chat page set up.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™