hi im new

Murraykelly

hi did my first geocach today in dunblane where i live ..i walk and cycle but i found i look shifty and strange searching about a box in town centre was sure people were wonde4ing what i was up to .#

does other people get this feeling .

be okay when i have kids withme but on my own i looked shift ..tips please

It can depend on the town, time of day and so on. Sometimes I'm sure the locals seem to know what we're up to and seem to mumble 'hey up, they're at it again!' other times they seem to be worried I'm doing something dangerous, or I'm quite mad and they're wondering whether to report me (and just trying to figure out who to.) So for these reasons, I don't do very many town centre caches, not on my own anyway. It is definitely easier with children, as most people don't like to watch children for too long in case a parant comes up to them and tells them to stop it! :rolleyes:

Look like you belong/are working. Some folks I know use a clipboard and make "notes." If you are scouting out the area, have a seat to do so, looking with eyes only. Are you caching with printed caches sheets, or are you paperless with a GPS or smartphone?

On an urban cache that had the clue "low" I pretended to tie my shoe laces. At another I was looking for a contact lens....shhhh! I don't wear them ;)

If asked what you are doing by a police officer or security person - tell the truth.

In my experience you are "lost in the crowd" when there are a lot of people. Even though it feels like they are all watching you, they are focused on their own little corner of the world. It's when you are the only other person around that their attention is on you.

Look like you belong/are working. Some folks I know use a clipboard and make "notes." If you are scouting out the area, have a seat to do so, looking with eyes only. Are you caching with printed caches sheets, or are you paperless with a GPS or smartphone?

On an urban cache that had the clue "low" I pretended to tie my shoe laces. At another I was looking for a contact lens....shhhh! I don't wear them ;)

If asked what you are doing by a police officer or security person - tell the truth.

good tips guys i like photography so taking my camera may make me look less suspicious ..

And sometimes you just have to know when to walk away... If it's not a good time... Don't compromise the cache hiding place, even if you can see exactly where it's hidden... Leave it... Then return to try it another day.

MrsB ;)

i actually had to do that today this bloke looked at me as if to see what i was doing so i walked away then went back when he walked on .. its like a secret world

Edited by Murraykelly