Books as swag

agree with the last person. You could also say the same thing of VHS tapes, DVDs, and many other types of swags, but since this is about books, yes, only in that scenario.

I suppose a large plastic container that was totally out of the possibility of rain would be okay too. Its not likely a person would open the ziploc baggie unless they wanted the book so unlike a log book, the seal should remain sealed and be nice and dry.

I've put books in some of my larger caches, but I keep the trading items in ziplocks as insurance for all trading items, as well as the logs. I have noticed that the bags tend to disappear when I check up on caches of mine that have been in the field for a while, so beware.

Baggies are a really good idea.

Also note where the cache is.

I got a book out of a cache that is covered by snow most of the winter. The book was gross and moldy and all stuck together. (yes it was in an ammo can)

I've gotten books out of city caches that aren't covered in snow that were just fine. Somehow moisture got into the mountain cache. I've found a lot of books in plastic bags that were in fine shape.

I've seen book trading caches that seemed to be working well.

I think it's a great idea for swag.

Yes, but if I were you I'd only put them in Ammo boxes.

And only in ammo boxes that aren't stuffed too full. There's a cache near me that's in a small wooded area behind a comic book store. It's stuffed full of comic books in ziploc bags. But it's so full, that at some point a plastic bag got caught in the lid when it was closed. Everything inside is now soaking wet and moldy.

Once water gets into the container, the ziploc bag isn't really going to help much. It mostly just traps the moisture.

We were out last weekend and found an ammo can deep in the woods.

Apparently the CO did not want ANY water to invade the SWAG so inside was a lock and lock holding the log and SWAG.

Inside was a PC computer game dry as a bone...a book would have been fine here.

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob

There is a cache in my area that the all the swag in the container is books. The container is a big ten gallon or bigger bucket with a lid that you have to pull several tab around it to pull the lid off. All the books are in bags that have seals that you squeeze all the air out then push the seal shut. There where several in there that where in Ziploc baggies. I would think that the type of container would make a difference as to if I would put a book in it or not. One that wouldn't take on water or its location would play a big factor as others have stated.

The only book swap cache we found was a disappointment. The large container was under a deck, and all the books inside were damp, some starting to show signs of mould. Just the change in temperature can be an issue. Maybe if each were sealed in a baggie with a package of dessicant and the cache is visited frequently it would be a different matter.

We donate our used books to our local pioneer museum and to charities who resell them to raise funds.