GpsMap 62s Loading problems

I've had my 62s since January with little problems. Today when I would click on the cache description it would freeze, the screen would go blank and nothing would happen until I take the batteries out and put them back in. Pressing the keys for a hard reset does not work. Now when I turn the device on, I get the black screen where it says GARMIN in the middle then at the bottom it says "Loading is complete press any key to continue". Now I've pressed every key on the system and nothing works. It freezes here now and wont come back? I can't take it back to MEC because I'm in the States for two weeks on a caching trip and I only just got here yesterday.

Anyone have this happen to them or have any suggestions?

Thanks

I've had my 62s since January with little problems. Today when I would click on the cache description it would freeze, the screen would go blank and nothing would happen until I take the batteries out and put them back in. Pressing the keys for a hard reset does not work. Now when I turn the device on, I get the black screen where it says GARMIN in the middle then at the bottom it says "Loading is complete press any key to continue". Now I've pressed every key on the system and nothing works. It freezes here now and wont come back? I can't take it back to MEC because I'm in the States for two weeks on a caching trip and I only just got here yesterday.

Anyone have this happen to them or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you contacted Garmin Customer Support? Free Technical support. U.S. 1-800-800-1020 Canada 1-866-429-9296. During regular business hours. Good luck.

There is a master reset process ......but I forget how to do it.

Also...you may have luck connecting to the internet and downloading the latest software/firmware version...once you get it working again.

What city are you in?

Did you try taking out the batteries and starting over?

I have the latest software installed 3.0, and mine crashed while loading. I had to go re-download all the geocaches again from the computer. :mad:

Good luck!

I never thought about Garmin customer support.

It's fixed though. When I first got the unit I copied everything off the unit onto my computer. I put this original file back onto the GPS, then updated to the most current version.

I know what was causing it now too. When I first loaded the PQ and turned the GPS on it froze at the loading waypoints bar, I turned the GPS off and it messed up the gpx file.

Anyways thanks for replies. Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore while on my trip. (I'm in Eastern Washington State BTW).

That's exactly what happened to mine...with version 3.0 .

The load bar stopped halfway...forever.

Once I shut off the unit and turned it back on, I didn't get all the caches....so I drove back home and made sure I turned it on while there, after re-downloading the pq.

Welcome to the club.

That's exactly what happened to mine...with version 3.0 .

The load bar stopped halfway...forever.

Once I shut off the unit and turned it back on, I didn't get all the caches....so I drove back home and made sure I turned it on while there, after re-downloading the pq.

Welcome to the club.

*nod* Repeat member here ;)

(I'm 99% sure that a master-reset, ie the page+enter+power key) will re-index the gpx file. You will lose a couple of settings but nothing major. Profiles, maps etc are intact.)

Complained about this from early oregon models and on. It seems the larger the gpx file, more likely to happen (duh).

The best solution, assuming garmin don't revisit this, is to delete the previous gpx file... reboot the gps but not in USB mode...(it may die "reloading", if so, batteries out and restart)... reboot into USB mode and then add in the new file. It will usually index the new file without issue.

Complained about this from early oregon models and on. It seems the larger the gpx file, more likely to happen (duh).

The best solution, assuming garmin don't revisit this, is to delete the previous gpx file... reboot the gps but not in USB mode...(it may die "reloading", if so, batteries out and restart)... reboot into USB mode and then add in the new file. It will usually index the new file without issue.

Since I've loaded 3.0 I've put 5 or 6 PQs on my 62s. It hasn't frozen while loading them yet. Although I only updated the system the other day, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't freeze anymore.