Air Travel

I am having a problem. A few weeks ago I went on a trip to Key West Florida. I really wanted to do some geocaching there. SO I decided to take my GPS. I didnt pack it in my suitcase because I know the problems there. I took it with me on my carry on. While in KW Florida the GPS was acting funny. Could never get a fix and it would keep turning off. I just scratched it off as satellites being funky or the GPS system being old. Now I am back home and tried to use the GPS. It seems like everything is erased. It says it has error storing maps. I tried pluging it in to the computer to update and try to correct the problem. It seems I cant. What did I do wrong? How do I solve the problem? What tips can you give to people traveling by plane with a GPS? Help Me!!!

I always bring my electronics with me on the plane. My GPS receivers flew all the way to Asia and back, twice, without any problem, so it is unlikely that air travel alone jinxed your unit. You didn't mention what model of GPS receiver you have.

Edit to clarify that I have them as carry on. I don't check in electronics.

Edited by Chrysalides

Since a lot of planes nav packages include GPS, I highly doubt it was anything having to do with the airplane that screwed with your unit. On the last trip I flew, we had the planes GPS, my handheld GPS, and the plane owners iPad with a Bad Elf running at the same time, and there were no issues.